ADVERTISEMENT

Would you consider becoming an ex-pat and, if so, where would go?

More and more Americans are retiring to foreign countries becoming 'ex-pats'. Just recently, I did a little research and it's not completely out of the question, imo.

Benefits
1. Cost of living in a lot of countries is much more reasonable than the US.
2. There are ex-pat communities in various places where you could potentially plug into a social group.
3. Healthcare in some places is as close to or on par with the US without the outrageous costs.
4. Most popular places with ex-pats have technology, high speed internet, cell phones, etc. so it wouldn't be like you're camping out on an island.
5. Certainly would broaden your horizons to live in another country for a while.
6. Don't have to give up US citizenship - receive SS, Medicare (if you come back to States), etc.

Obstacles
1. Geographic distance from family, children, grandchildren, friends.
2. Adopting to a new culture, language (potentially).
3. Picking the 'right' place which is stable politically, socially and financially.
4. Change, especially radical change, is difficult.

What little research I've done mentioned some S. and C. American countries (Belize, Costa Rica, et al), Portugal, a few in the Far East.

Would you consider it?
I’ve lived in Costa Rica (also Nicaragua and Colombia) six years and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. PuraVida is a real thing. The USA is a meat grinder and you don’t realize what it does to your nervous system until you reach tranquilo. If ww3 begins which is a high chance you don’t want to be in the USA. During the virus and throughout we are so fortunate to live here instead of the USA.
1. Cost of living. Food costs are a little lower, housing a lot lower.
2. there are expats from all over the world here so you get insight into many cultures; however, tico culture is by far the most prominent and ticos by nature are peaceful people. They are so peaceful that when Spain came to Costa Rica they wouldn’t enslave the indigenous people bc they were too laid back.
3. here there is nationalized healthcare known as caja. It’s not the best but it’s cheap and you can get many things you may need annually with zero cost. Medications are also zero costs through caja if you are a resident. Private healthcare exist here along side caja and is very cheap. 100$ if you need endoscopy or colonoscopy. If you see a private dr it’s 50$ for as many visits it takes until you’re better. The quality of healthcare is much better than the US as you’re not a number here they are trying to move along. I have been given treatment in the US for lingering issues that when I came to Costa Rica they figured out immediately and treated differently.
4. it took about 3 years before my friends and family realized I had access to all the tech they do. Some thought I had to travel to use internet. Not so. I have fiber optic internet super high speed. My wife needs it for her job.
5. lots of culture here it’s an expat destination globally. Big communities of native Italians, Russians, other Latino nations, the USA to name some.
6. nope don’t have to renounce anything or give up any benefit as a US taxpayer. I’m a permanent resident and haven’t been back to the US since Jan 2020. Why would I when people hear aren’t going ape shit over political differences.

obstacles
1. Costa Rica is a 3 hr direct flight from Atlanta. Takes me about 5 hours to get to Lexington total travel time. 500$ max I pay for a ticket.
2. since there are US expat communities all over the country many Americans never assimilate here. I however love culture and since I’m first gen American anyway I want to learn as much as I can about the world so I like the local culture here and other countries ive lived in. That’s me though I’m a cultural nut who’s been all over the world. Learning Spanish is a piece of cake if you love culture.
3. Other countries I’ve lived in, Somalia, Eastern Europe, other Latin American countries have not been stable. Costa Rica is very stable. There is no military and the government is very peaceful. In a couple weeks we have national elections it will be yet again drama free and a smooth process. Financially if you retire in USA you can live like a king here. Very little violent crime outside of cartel activities that only include people associated with cartels. Petty theft is the biggest concern as it is anywhere else. No abortion, gay marriage was forced by the US into acceptance here. No trans bs. It is a Christian nation with the vast majority catholic. If you’re Jewish looking for a temple though this isn’t the place. I have to go to SJ for that which rarely happens.
4. culture shock is a thing especially if you haven’t traveled abroad and have minimal linguistic skills.

anyone interested in Costa Rica as an expat destination or really any Latin American country hit me up on messenger and I’ll help guide you. It’s a big step but one thing the op never mentions is nature. CR is a natural paradise with 9 climate zones. The country is the size of WV. 5% of earths biodiversity is here. Tropical dry forests, rainforests, valleys, mountains you want it CR has it. With all of that CR has massive recreation opportunities. I don’t broadcast what I know but this forum is limited to my bbn brethren. You have questions I have answers not only on CR but all of Latin America. And many other countries of the world

I’ve lived in Costa Rica (also Nicaragua and Colombia) six years and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. PuraVida is a real thing. The USA is a meat grinder and you don’t realize what it does to your nervous system until you reach tranquilo. If ww3 begins which is a high chance you don’t want to be in the USA. During the virus and throughout we are so fortunate to live here instead of the USA.
2. there are expats from all over the world here so you get insight into many cultures; however, tico culture is by far the most prominent and ticos by nature are peaceful people. They are so peaceful that when Spain came to Costa Rica they wouldn’t enslave the indigenous people bc they were too laid back.
3. here there is nationalized healthcare known as caja. It’s not the best but it’s cheap and you can get many things you may need annually with zero cost. Medications are also zero costs through caja if you are a resident. Private healthcare exist here along side caja and is very cheap. 100$ if you need endoscopy or colonoscopy. If you see a private dr it’s 50$ for as many visits it takes until you’re better. The quality of healthcare is much better than the US as you’re not a number here they are trying to move along. I have been given treatment in the US for lingering issues that when I came to Costa Rica they figured out immediately and treated differently.
4. it took about 3 years before my friends and family realized I had access to all the tech they do. Some thought I had to travel to use internet. Not so. I have fiber optic internet super high speed. My wife needs it for her job.
5. lots of culture here it’s an expat destination globally. Big communities of native Italians, Russians, other Latino nations, the USA to name some.
6. nope don’t have to renounce anything or give up any benefit as a US taxpayer. I’m a permanent resident and haven’t been back to the US since Jan 2020. Why would I when people hear aren’t going ape shit over political differences.

obstacles
1. Costa Rica is a 3 hr direct flight from Atlanta. Takes me about 5 hours to get to Lexington total travel time. 500$ max I pay for a ticket.
2. since there are US expat communities all over the country many Americans never assimilate here. I however love culture and since I’m first gen American anyway I want to learn as much as I can about the world so I like the local culture here and other countries ive lived in. That’s me though I’m a cultural nut who’s been all over the world. Learning Spanish is a piece of cake if you love culture.
3. Other countries I’ve lived in, Somalia, Eastern Europe, other Latin American countries have not been stable. Costa Rica is very stable. There is no military and the government is very peaceful. In a couple weeks we have national elections it will be yet again drama free and a smooth process. Financially if you retire in USA you can live like a king here. Very little violent crime outside of cartel activities that only include people associated with cartels. Petty theft is the biggest concern as it is anywhere else. No abortion, gay marriage was forced by the US into acceptance here. No trans bs. It is a Christian nation with the vast majority catholic. If you’re Jewish looking for a temple though this isn’t the place. I have to go to SJ for that which rarely happens.
4. culture shock is a thing especially if you haven’t traveled abroad and have minimal linguistic skills.

anyone interested in Costa Rica as an expat destination or really any Latin American country hit me up on messenger and I’ll help guide you. It’s a big step but one thing the op never mentions is nature. CR is a natural paradise with 9 climate zones. The country is the size of WV. 5% of earths biodiversity is here. Tropical dry forests, rainforests, valleys, mountains you want it CR has it. With all of that CR has massive recreation opportunities. I don’t broadcast what I know but this forum is limited to my bbn brethren. You have questions I have answers not only on CR but all of Latin America. And many other countries of the world
Where did you live in Colombia?

Seems weird to me to want to leave the USA to go to a place to join American communities. Expand your horizons folks.

I’d move to Monaco if I had the means. A just big enough (but crazy expensive) apartment and a boat/yacht slip. I would have to be loaded with eff you money tho.

Seems weird to me to want to leave the USA to go to a place to join American communities. Expand your horizons folks.
Reminds me of my parents a bit. Whenever they travel anywhere domestically, instead of trying local cuisine, they just want to go to shitty fast food restaurants like McDonald's. They could be going to a food Mecca and still would opt for Burger King instead. I get it if you're just driving thru somewhere and need a bite to eat, even I wouldn't mind stopping somewhere you know what to expect out of. But fi you're going to take the time to plan out a trip, at least look up some restaurants at your destination(s) that are of higher than "be careful or you'll get diarrhea" quality.

If they became expats, they would literally never integrate, despite being the type of people who bitch and moan about how every immigrant refuses to integrate.

Would love somewhere on/near the Mediterranean or lake como. But would need to be filthy rich and not speaking French/Italian would be an issue.

Would love somewhere on/near the Mediterranean or lake como. But would need to be filthy rich and not speaking French/Italian would be an issue.
Africa also borders the Mediterranean, consider looking up Algeria. Has a lot of French cultural influence.

Lotta folks have given up on America. Fight for it! We’re not going to let libs and cons ruin our country! Keep fighting to make America better every day! We’re going to be okay!

obstacles

Bien dicho, mae. He viajado a Costa Rica dos veces, y verdaderamente es un país increíble.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Africa also borders the Mediterranean, consider looking up Algeria. Has a lot of French cultural influence.

We’re talking hypotheticals not serious options for me to actually move, I’m not moving to Africa I’m not poor good lord.

Reminds me of my parents a bit. Whenever they travel anywhere domestically, instead of trying local cuisine, they just want to go to shitty fast food restaurants like McDonald's. They could be going to a food Mecca and still would opt for Burger King instead. I get it if you're just driving thru somewhere and need a bite to eat, even I wouldn't mind stopping somewhere you know what to expect out of. But fi you're going to take the time to plan out a trip, at least look up some restaurants at your destination(s) that are of higher than "be careful or you'll get diarrhea" quality.

If they became expats, they would literally never integrate, despite being the type of people who bitch and moan about how every immigrant refuses to integrate.

one of the things that drives me crazy working at a hotel. People come to me and ask where the closest Applebees or Waffle House is

Reactions: Nbacats
one of the things that drives me crazy working at a hotel. People come to me and ask where the closest Applebees or Waffle House is
I would be in a town on business, especially in a small town, and ask for a local establishment and would be told where to find the O Charlie’s or Applebees. I quickly learned to ask where I could find the local place that I would only know if I was local that people loved. That led me to great greasy spoons, little ole lady sandwich and soup shoppes, local Italian spots owned by chefs who migrated to the area and a great assortment of wonderful places (this was before Yelp).

That said, I don’t begrudge people for liking what they like. Some people think “pizza is pizza” and food is simply to refuel. Not my cup, but I don’t begrudge them their perspective.

Agreed. But some people want to have a comfort zone. Plus, if you've lived in the same state/place for a long time, meeting someone from a very different US state might be all the expanding of horizons some can accommodate. Or even someone who grew up in a big city vs in a more rural setting.

I'm with you, though. I'd learn the language as best I could, eat the local food, adopt some of the local customs and culture. Otherwise, you're the permanent tourist.

Both of those places would be awesome.

My fiancé is a dual citizen of Brazil and Portugal so it wouldn’t be that hard. She’s finishing up her PhD at Vandy in International Relations and her plan is either to go back to Europe and work for an NGO (which she did in Hungary for a few years in the refugee camps) or go to work for Brazil’s version of the State Department.

She’s also due in August and we decided we’re not going to make that huge a move until the baby is born and a little bit older.

But I’m so down to live somewhere else tbh.

My fiancé is a dual citizen of Brazil and Portugal so it wouldn’t be that hard. She’s finishing up her PhD at Vandy in International Relations and her plan is either to go back to Europe and work for an NGO (which she did in Hungary for a few years in the refugee camps) or go to work for Brazil’s version of the State Department.

She’s also due in August and we decided we’re not going to make that huge a move until the baby is born and a little bit older.

But I’m so down to live somewhere else tbh.
She sounds very impressive. Congrats!

When I was in high school, we went on a family trip one year and we spent one day at Chincoteague. Place is well known for its quality local seafood and dining (amongst many other things) and it's generally relative detachment from corporate America. Thus there is hardly any businesses you find on the mainland other than McDonald's and maybe Subway, or at least that's the way it was back then. Where did my parents take us to eat for lunch and dinner? ****ing McDonald's.

I look at ex-pat stuff all the time. For me, at age 58, its becoming a real possibility... especially if we continue to erode the values that made this country the greatest on Earth.

Right now, Florida looks pretty good if I stay in the US.

The plan is to get as far away from liberalism as possible.
Hawaii and California would have been our first two choices, but the cost of living and distance from our kids/grandkids led us to our 3rd choice, which was Florida. Love it here. We're 2 1/2 miles off the ocean and you can find us parked on the beach most days. The rest of the time is usually spent fishing/kayaking/hiking. Lots of outdoor activities and we're not far from the Miami metro area for other entertainment opportunities. As for liberalism, conservatism or whateverism, I never let political bullshit dictate anything in my life.

Reactions: Deeeefense
There's a guy I knew through work who has a home in Morocco. His wife is Moroccan, and they bought a house there that's close to her parents. He said they spend about half the year there and love it.

Other places are nice to visit but I love central Kentucky too much to live anywhere else. I'll spend the rest of my life researching and exploring this state.

There's a guy I knew through work who has a home in Morocco. His wife is Moroccan, and they bought a house there that's close to her parents. He said they spend about half the year there and love it.
The various different African cultures seems like it could be nice if you get in the right area. With the colonialization influence throughout much of Africa, would provide a pretty neat mix.

Just the butt is fine. No need for the rest of her. Got to follow the rules. Sorry.
I don’t have any ass pics of her lol but here she is nonetheless

92-A9-BD6-E-090-D-4-A35-8351-1-EB8-B4-DA0-B78.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT