ADVERTISEMENT

Would platooning help?

Yes absolutely, but not if Cal subbed every other whistle. However, that’s something that probably would need to happen earlier in the season and everyone wasn’t available.

Plus it’s a dirty word around here now because a fake rumor was circulating that it “hurt recruiting”. Right now, Cal needs to play best lineup to start both halves, and play traditional CBB and stop handing out participation trophies every minute and a half!

But he never will because the “Bennies” would be right again!

Reactions: chroix
No platoon take your best 7 or 8 and go with it cal subs way to much he doesn't need any more players

Reactions: TFCats11
Yes absolutely, but not if Cal subbed every other whistle. However, that’s something that probably would need to happen earlier in the season and everyone wasn’t available.

Plus it’s a dirty word around here now because a fake rumor was circulating that it “hurt recruiting”. Right now, Cal needs to play best lineup to start both haves, and play traditional CBB and stop handing out participation trophies every minute and a half!

But he never will because the “Bennies” would be right again!
It did hurt recruiting because when he platooned he pretty much gave them equal minutes. Giving your 10th best player the same minutes as your best player isn't a great way to attract great players.

Proof? This a discussion board, not math class.
Recruiting seemed to go down after that and platooning became a dirty word to Cal. I was suggesting there was a connection between the two but, no, I can't prove it.

I don't think platoons would help. Cal just needs to settle on an 8 man rotation and let our best players get the majority of the minutes

Starters -
Ivisic
Mitchell
Thiero
Reeves
Dillingham

Bench -
Sheppard
Wagner
Bradshaw

Reserves as needed -
Edwards/Ugo

(NOTE: This is purely hypothetical and based on what Cal would do if he wanted to win games and not just keep promises)

It did hurt recruiting because when he platooned he pretty much gave them equal minutes. Giving your 10th best player the same minutes as your best player isn't a great way to attract great players.
Hypothetically speaking, he couldn’t platoon this group like 2015, because the second unit this season isn’t as strong. But a 7/3 minute split might be a possibility. But like I said, that would have started way earlier and everyone wasn’t available, and Edwards was a potential top 5 pick, and that would put him in the first unit.

Anyway, I finished by saying, Cal needs to play his best lineup the traditional way, which he’s not doing either! And if I’m a top recruit, why would I want to play for him getting subbed every other minute? That’s what hurts recruiting!

Reactions: ukfan1622
Proof? This a discussion board, not math class.
Recruiting seemed to go down after that and platooning became a dirty word to Cal. I was suggesting there was a connection between the two but, no, I can't prove it.
Then lead with, “In my opinion, platooning…”, and all good👍🏼

Reactions: Emarc
Then lead with, “In my opinion, platooning…”, and all good👍🏼
Sorry but, no, I do not have to start all my opinions with "In my opinion," whether it's all good or not. We each have our own speaking styles. I promise not to tell you how to start your sentences and that will have to be good enough.

What cause did to be so partially awful Tues was the 19 damn line up changes that lasted a minute at a time. That ALL on Cal. I mean 19 different lineups in a game. That’s stupidity.

Reactions: KFuqua
The better solution is just figuring out who your best 8 man rotation is and sticking with it after things get serious near March ..even if that means some feelings get hurt.

But that won’t happen if if it means cutting out Edwards. After all, promises have been made.

Reactions: chroix and KFuqua
The better solution is just figuring out who your best 8 man rotation is and just sticking with only it after things get serious near March ..even if it means some feelings get hurt.

But that won’t happen if if it means cutting out Edwards. After all, promises have been made.
If he rides Edwards into the dirt and costs us another season……

I don't think platoons would help. Cal just needs to settle on an 8 man rotation and let our best players get the majority of the minutes

Starters -
Ivisic
Mitchell
Thiero
Reeves
Dillingham

Bench -
Sheppard
Wagner
Bradshaw

Reserves as needed -
Edwards/Ugo

(NOTE: This is purely hypothetical and based on what Cal would do if he wanted to win games and not just keep promises)
Wagner is not coming off the bench

I have never believe that it “hurt recruiting”. The problems was that we had people on the staff that did not do their job in recruiting.

Reactions: JPScott and ib4ky
IMO, the 2014/15 team is the best college team that I've watched since the 2012 UK team.
On the 2014/15 "platoon" team. the 9th (D. Johnson/ 16.3-minutes and 6.4-pts) and 10th (M. Lee/ 10.9-minutes and 2.6-pts) players in minutes were arguably the 9th and 10th players in talent/ value.

Also,
Per RIVALS
2015 Class: Three 5* (All Top-10/ #1 player), Four 4*
2016 Class: Five 5* (Four Top-13)
2017 Class: Five 5* (Four Top-17), Two 4* (SGA rated #34) 🤔 🤔
2018 Class: Four 5*, One 4* (Hero rated #36) 🤔🤔

Our 2023 Class with players rated #2, #3, #6 are currently averaging a COMBINED 27.3-pts (30.4%) while playing an average of 71.4-minutes (35.7%) per game.

To me, titles and championships mean more than recruiting ranking wins.

IMO, the 2014/15 team is the best college team that I've watched since the 2012 UK team.
On the 2014/15 "platoon" team. the 9th (D. Johnson/ 16.3-minutes and 6.4-pts) and 10th (M. Lee/ 10.9-minutes and 2.6-pts) players in minutes were arguably the 9th and 10th players in talent/ value.

Also,
Per RIVALS
2015 Class: Three 5* (All Top-10/ #1 player), Four 4*
2016 Class: Five 5* (Four Top-13)
2017 Class: Five 5* (Four Top-17), Two 4* (SGA rated #34) 🤔 🤔
2018 Class: Four 5*, One 4* (Hero rated #36) 🤔🤔

Our 2023 Class with players rated #2, #3, #6 are currently averaging a COMBINED 27.3-pts (30.4%) while playing an average of 71.4-minutes (35.7%) per game.

To me, titles and championships mean more than recruiting ranking wins.
Look, I liked the platoon idea; still do. You need to convince somebody else. I'm not the one for whom the word "platoon" became a dirty word. That was Cal.

I have often been a proponent of platooning, espeically if it were a 45/55 or 40/60 split. But with this team, no. Why? Because 4 of the 5 guys we want >20 minutes from are guards. I think it's safe to say, we don't want a 50/50 split given there is a gap between Onyenso & Edwards and the rest, and Theiro's injury. But having anything else results in one of our 4 guards playing <20mpg.

Reactions: ukfan1622
If Thiero comes back, it would be a smart move, IMHO.

Should full court press and make teams scramble. Wear teams out.

Starters -
Ivisic
Mitchell
Thiero
Reeves
Dillingham

Bench -
Sheppard
Wagner
Bradshaw

Reserves as needed -
Edwards/Ugo

Ugo is the best interior defender. Gonna b hard to keep him off the court.

Should full court press and make teams scramble. Wear teams out.
Cal has never full-court pressed in the 15 years he’s been here. Not even when he had deep defensively-awesome teams like the 2015 squad.

So why would he start now with this markedly weak defensive team?

Cal has never full-court pressed in the 15 years he’s been here. Not even when he had deep defensively-awesome teams like the 2015 squad.

So why would he start now with this markedly weak defensive team?
Didn’t say he would. I said he should.

Reactions: UK90

It’s hard to say it hurt recruiting when the following year we landed Jamaal Murray, Skal and briscoe and the following year after that we landed bam, Fox and Monk. Skal obviously didn’t live up to his billing but very highly ranked and seems I recall briscoe was well ranked too and we know about Murray. 17 class needs no explanation.

But to the OP, I would not want to platoon with this group. Just give your best players the most minutes like any normal sane coach would do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT