ADVERTISEMENT

At least DJ and Justin will get drafted

ULisnotmyman

Sophomore
Jul 24, 2017
Guys, let’s take a chill pill here. Look at the big picture. Sure, we lost in the first round, but it’s all about the greater picture and helping these kids and changing their lives.

Sure, any coach with a brain would not have stuck with them in the starting lineup the whole year, but then those kids would have gone to the bench and their dreams would have been crushed. And we can’t have that at a Kentucky. We play for the names on the back of the jersey, not front.

This is not debatable as it has come out of his mouth over and over again. When did it become acceptable to not care about winning basketball games at Kentucky? That’s all I want to know.

I’m even fine with them starting last night lol. Should have been those two with rob/reed and whoever at the 5. Our coach is legit the dumbest person in America

Reactions: Fox2monk and bnewt
So much of the focus has been on Cal's incompetence (and rightfully so) that Edwards and Wagner have gotten a bit of a pass for being massive busts. They were largely awful for most of the season.

As for their future prospects, it's really hard to picture either having a lengthy NBA career at this point. Edwards just isn't athletic or explosive enough to play in the league.

Wagner doesn't do anything particularly well but at least he has above average burst and quickness so I guess he could eventually figure it out and carve out a backup role somewhere.

Either way, I'll remember their Kentucky tenures as massive failures. Maybe not quite Khalil Whitney level bad but not far off.

Every year there is a player I won't miss. DJ is this year's winner. Wish him the best.

AND WHY IN GOD'S NAME DID PRICKET STAY SO LONG!!!!

Reactions: KFuqua
Edwards is going to be good, he's shown glimpses, some freshmen just take longer.

DJ doesn't appear to have a very high ceiling but you can't write someone off after 1 year, again freshmen.

That said, since we won't have em more than one year, it does stink.

Dj lacks athleticism which shocks me. Based on what we were told, I never would've guessed he would just be a mediocre athlete.

He'll get drafted because klutch can get anyone drafted. But he has zero NBA potential.

Reactions: TM2013 and tomrain
I'm not sure either of them are getting drafted. Maybe someone takes a flyer on Edwards.

They will either be back next year or the will transfer. And I'm not sure I really want them back here. The thought of them improving is intriguing. But at the same time, they might not improve at all, and DJ will still get to start for some reason.

Reactions: Fox2monk
After last night, please someone take them!!!! Edwards reverted back to the guy he was earlier in the year the last 2 games when it counted, and Wagner..I dont know what he can bring to an NBA team? He cant shoot, doesnt pass, cant make a layup at the rim and isnt that athletic. Wonder why he was so wide open last night on some of his shots?? Lured CCC right into their trap. I liked how we call a timeout when we were desperately trying to catch up and what do we get out of the timeout? A wide open 3 point shot from DJ that wasnt even close!! I would rather had me shooting the ball than him. You have 3 of the best shooters in the country on this team and they draw up a play for him to shoot? SICKENING!! Thanks for ruining March again CAL!!

Guys, let’s take a chill pill here. Look at the big picture. Sure, we lost in the first round, but it’s all about the greater picture and helping these kids and changing their lives.

Sure, any coach with a brain would not have stuck with them in the starting lineup the whole year, but then those kids would have gone to the bench and their dreams would have been crushed. And we can’t have that at a Kentucky. We play for the names on the back of the jersey, not front.

This is not debatable as it has come out of his mouth over and over again. When did it become acceptable to not care about winning basketball games at Kentucky? That’s all I want to know.
But here is my question, they are no better now than the day they walked on campus, so how long do they last in the NBA??? Plus Cal did not put these kids in the NBA DJ and Edwards were anointed for the NBA in high school, Cal just borrowed them for a season. To be honest, DJ and Edwards may have been hurt by playing for Cal.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I know this post was in jest at the ridiculousness of our coach and these kids’ disappointing seasons but I’m far from convinced these guys get drafted. The thing that’s different from them and other highly ranked disappointments is neither has great measurements or athleticism. I don’t envy the decision those kids probably feel forced to make based on the hype/rankings/agents from their high school time.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I know this post was in jest at the ridiculousness of our coach and these kids’ disappointing seasons but I’m far from convinced these guys get drafted. The thing that’s different from them and other highly ranked disappointments is neither has great measurements or athleticism. I don’t envy the decision those kids probably feel forced to make based on the hype/rankings/agents from their high school time.
I am as well man, but after last year when Chris Livingston after essentially only playing good for 2 weeks all year it taught me that this program is just a nonstop merry -go-round. These kids don’t give 2 shots about Kentucky barring a couple of them, it’s all about the nba, and this coach doesn’t give a shit about this program either. It’s about fueling his ego and being able to say I told you so to a fanbase that has been backing him for far to long

I’m even fine with them starting last night lol. Should have been those two with rob/reed and whoever at the 5. Our coach is legit the dumbest person in America
Playing Wagner in the center of Oakland’s zone on offense was stupid of Cal. Did he think Wagner was suddenly going to turn into a 10 foot jump shot maker or an assist man? I don’t know what he told the players to do, but except for Mitchell and Reeves, it didn’t work. There were no screens set on offense and we struggled all night to get good looks. Reeves made several threes on his own to keep us in it, but when we don’t get contributions from Wagner, Sheppard , Dillingham, Thiero, Zivisic, Onyenso and Edwards we cannot win and didn’t.
It smells of poor game preparation by the so-called coach.

Hypothetical question. Was Wagner any better than Wheeler? Wheeler actually finished at the rim better, had a better mid range and his 3 point percentage had to be the same. I don’t know where Wagner thinks he can play other than maybe Europe.

There had been whispers for a couple of years that Wagner was so highly rated because he peaked early in high school and established a name for himself, but hadn’t really shown much growth after that. Unfortunately, this season didn’t do much to dispel that notion. I wouldn’t go as far as some people claiming he’s not even a D1 player, but he was nowhere near the generational prospect some hyped him up to be. He still has time to improve, but he doesn’t do anything particularly well right now and the lack of progression has to be concerning given that.

Edwards is more of a head scratcher since the entire scouting industry seemed to agree that he was one of the safer bets in this year’s class. He showed some flashes of being a good player down the stretch in the regular season before mostly disappearing again in the tournaments, but the inconsistency is what mostly defines his season. It seems like the step up to the college game overwhelmed him and got in his head a bit, and he quite frankly didn’t seem as athletic as advertised. I’d hold out more hope for him if he stuck around another year or two, but since that never happens with 5 star prospects under Cal, he also goes down as a disappointment.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Wagner was scared of the champions classic.
Scared at the sec tourney.
Scared at the ncaa tourney.

I cannot believe how soft this kid is. I can believe that he will leave when he should stay another 2 years.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I am as well man, but after last year when Chris Livingston after essentially only playing good for 2 weeks all year it taught me that this program is just a nonstop merry -go-round. These kids don’t give 2 shots about Kentucky barring a couple of them, it’s all about the nba, and this coach doesn’t give a shit about this program either. It’s about fueling his ego and being able to say I told you so to a fanbase that has been backing him for far to long
Chris was an athletic specimen at least even if he produced little. You are right these kids don’t care about KY. They are going to the highest bidder. Regardless of coach there is about to be a mass exodus. Draft and portal decisions aplenty.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Don’t remember anyone of note claiming DJ was generational.
Well, to be fair it wasn’t any professionals that I remember saying that. Mostly just fans who bought the hype about him spending so long as the #1 recruit in his class and talked like he was guaranteed to bust us out of our slump.

Last edited:
If Cal is allowed to stick around, we’re about to see the biggest tone deaf off season ever. He will talk about how amazing it is to have these guys chase their dreams, and any fan who expects more isn’t a true fan. I expect him to be a bigger snarky asshole than usual.

Chris was an athletic specimen at least even if he produced little. You are right these kids don’t care about KY. They are going to the highest bidder. Regardless of coach there is about to be a mass exodus. Draft and portal decisions aplenty.
If it gets calipari gone I’m fine with it. Players coming back doesn’t matter as long as he is coach, he won’t do a single thing with them.

Reactions: delk4three
Well, to be fair it wasn’t any professionals that I remember saying that. Mostly just fans who bought the hype about him being spending so long as the #1 recruit in his class and talked like he was guaranteed to bust us out of our slump.
Our fans are stupid when it comes to evaluating talent. There are numerous posts from before the season started saying how poor this recruiting class was as all of the kids were poor physical specimens. Slight of frame and not particularly skilled. But we think everyone of them will be a POY candidate.

Reed was the pleasant surprise. Robert was, well, Robert.

After last night, please someone take them!!!! Edwards reverted back to the guy he was earlier in the year the last 2 games when it counted, and Wagner..I dont know what he can bring to an NBA team? He cant shoot, doesnt pass, cant make a layup at the rim and isnt that athletic. Wonder why he was so wide open last night on some of his shots?? Lured CCC right into their trap. I liked how we call a timeout when we were desperately trying to catch up and what do we get out of the timeout? A wide open 3 point shot from DJ that wasnt even close!! I would rather had me shooting the ball than him. You have 3 of the best shooters in the country on this team and they draw up a play for him to shoot? SICKENING!! Thanks for ruining March again CAL!!
Dead on, and when I saw Wagner always being the one left for the game-winning play I knew it was over, and that was MANY games ago.

Our fans are stupid when it comes to evaluating talent. There are numerous posts from before the season started saying how poor this recruiting class was as all of the kids were poor physical specimens. Slight of frame and not particularly skilled. But we think everyone of them will be a POY candidate.

Reed was the pleasant surprise. Robert was, well, Robert.
I'll say this, if BBN wants to actually know about our recruits, listen to David Sisk and Travis Graf

I'm actually a KSR fan, but DO NOT LISTEN TO JACK PILGRAM! Jack does NOT know how to evlauate talent, and will always always always error on the side of sunshine pumping our recruits. Almost everything he said is just him stealing info from a scouting service. He speaks with recruits and handlers, but is NOT a talent evaluator.

Shawn Smith is good, but I'd still recommend Travis and Sisk

DJ might get drafted in the second round....
That's what I figure also but no way does Edwards get drafted. We have 4 sure draft picks: Shep and Dilly in the lottery, Reeves in the 2nd round, and Big Z no later than the first pick of the 2nd round. And of course only the
Last pick was a starter.

I said in an earlier post that he would start D.J. and Justin just so they could be seen by the scouts one more time. I knew he would be stubborn about that. I had wondered if he was pissed that Reed, being originally a 4 star and much better, ended up being the talk of the draft and higher on the mock boards, messed up his plan. Bradshaw and Wagner(or Edwards...can't remember) weren't even listed in one of the latest mock draft. With Rob and Reed being so high, that had to piss him off. But he showed us. He started those two. Cal is NOT GOING TO CHANGE.

GET HIM OUT OF HERE AND OUT OF THE STATE!!!!

I said in an earlier post that he would start D.J. and Justin just so they could be seen by the scouts one more time. I knew he would be stubborn about that. I had wondered if he was pissed that Reed, being originally a 4 star and much better, ended up being the talk of the draft and higher on the mock boards, messed up his plan. Bradshaw and Wagner(or Edwards...can't remember) weren't even listed in one of the latest mock draft. With Rob and Reed being so high, that had to piss him off. But he showed us. He started those two. Cal is NOT GOING TO CHANGE.

GET HIM OUT OF HERE AND OUT OF THE STATE!!!!
And people always scolded me when I said winning was not his first priority. Need any more proof???? Lol

And they will probably be extremely good at the next level. We've seen that time and time and time again.

It's Cal folks. It's CAL.

Wagner needs to be in a gym as much as humanly possible, working on his shot.

Edwards needs to get in the weightroom.

I don’t follow recruiting closely. What really surprised me about these two is how unathletic they were for 4/5 stars besides the fact that they were very average basketball players.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
If I'm drafting, none of these guys gets drafted. You want players who want the ball when it matters. None of our freshmen could get rid of the ball fast enough.

It all started after the 2015 FF loss to Wisconsin. Cal burped up a couple of good years post 2015 but, in general, the decline was in full swing. Is Cal a victim of his own unintended consequences? If so, he's sadly a sick man.

Reactions: ULisnotmyman
So much of the focus has been on Cal's incompetence (and rightfully so) that Edwards and Wagner have gotten a bit of a pass for being massive busts. They were largely awful for most of the season.

As for their future prospects, it's really hard to picture either having a lengthy NBA career at this point. Edwards just isn't athletic or explosive enough to play in the league.

Wagner doesn't do anything particularly well but at least he has above average burst and quickness so I guess he could eventually figure it out and carve out a backup role somewhere.

Either way, I'll remember their Kentucky tenures as massive failures. Maybe not quite Khalil Whitney level bad but not far off.
Definitely not what I expected from a possible #1 recruit and one that was #1 a lot of his HS career. To be fair even our actual studs sucked last night too.

M
There had been whispers for a couple of years that Wagner was so highly rated because he peaked early in high school and established a name for himself, but hadn’t really shown much growth after that. Unfortunately, this season didn’t do much to dispel that notion. I wouldn’t go as far as some people claiming he’s not even a D1 player, but he was nowhere near the generational prospect some hyped him up to be. He still has time to improve, but he doesn’t do anything particularly well right now and the lack of progression has to be concerning given that.

Edwards is more of a head scratcher since the entire scouting industry seemed to agree that he was one of the safer bets in this year’s class. He showed some flashes of being a good player down the stretch in the regular season before mostly disappearing again in the tournaments, but the inconsistency is what mostly defines his season. It seems like the step up to the college game overwhelmed him and got in his head a bit, and he quite frankly didn’t seem as athletic as advertised. I’d hold out more hope for him if he stuck around another year or two, but since that never happens with 5 star prospects under Cal, he also goes down as a disappointment.
He’s definitely not that athletic, I’ve never seen someone miss so many dunks, wide open ever.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
I'm not sure either of them are getting drafted. Maybe someone takes a flyer on Edwards.

They will either be back next year or the will transfer. And I'm not sure I really want them back here. The thought of them improving is intriguing. But at the same time, they might not improve at all, and DJ will still get to start for some reason.
I’d take Edwards back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT