ADVERTISEMENT

Would Drew go to Texas

Jan 27, 2023
I know a lot of you like Scott Drew. I don’t see him as ever being a fit at Kentucky; I’ve seen that opinion echoed here as well.

Texas is likely going to be looking for another head coach soon. I don’t know much about the state of college athletics in Texas (across the state as a whole) except that it’s considered a clusterF and that there’s A LOT of money involved. Is Drew someone that Texas would target? Is Texas somewhere Drew would consider?

I know a lot of you like Scott Drew. I don’t see him as ever being a fit at Kentucky; I’ve seen that opinion echoed here as well.

Texas is likely going to be looking for another head coach soon. I don’t know much about the state of college athletics in Texas (across the state as a whole) except that it’s considered a clusterF and that there’s A LOT of money involved. Is Drew someone that Texas would target? Is Texas somewhere Drew would consider?
Maybe. There's a lot of money there and Scott Drew has enough connections in that state for recruiting. Regardless, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Rick Barnes will take his name out of consideration.

Too lateral of a move.

Scott Drew would kill it at a blue blood program.

People keep saying he’s not a good fit, but what does that really mean? He won a championship at a small school in Waco. Dude will crush it at a basketball school.

Maybe. There's a lot of money there and Scott Drew has enough connections in that state for recruiting. Regardless, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Rick Barnes will take his name out of consideration.
Lute will do the same...

Reactions: will1976
I just don’t see Drew at any blueblood. Hes a weird dude. Hes done some strange stuff in recruiting that turned a lot of high school and college coaches against him. Indiana high school and AAU guys didn’t care for him.

I just don’t see Drew at any blueblood. Hes a weird dude. Hes done some strange stuff in recruiting that turned a lot of high school and college coaches against him. Indiana high school and AAU guys didn’t care for him.
Pretty sure he has 3 five stars coming in . To Baylor. Yes Baylor.

Is Texas open again? Cal is still the perfect candidate. For OSU too. He can take his fat class and we ll build around reed.

Reactions: jmw23712
I don't see Scott Drew ever leaving Baylor. If there was ever a time to make the move to a school like Texas, it would be now as they head to the SEC and not have to face the music of a road game every year in Waco if they stayed in the Big XI. IMO, Drew seems content at Baylor with significantly less pressure and one that he built into a National Championship contender. Could be wrong but doesn't seem like the money is the driving factor for him in this profession when he has been at Baylor since 2003 and the 17th highest paid coach. One would assume that if Drew was going to bolt for the money, he would have already done so. Never going to Kansas. Duke & UNC hire one of their own. Perhaps Kentucky if he were to leave for a blueblood. However, I can't recall hearing that he interviewed for any other HC positions since taking the Baylor job that I am aware of.

Rick Barnes hates him.......detests him. The consensus in the Big 12 is that he's the most negative recruiter in the country. Bobby Knight once cornered him in a bathroom about his recruiting tactics, etc.
I see . But if Bobby Knight and Rick Barnes hate him …..does that make him a friend of mine? lol . Honestly, I wish Cal would use a little more “negative “ recruiting when going head to head with Duke . He needs to show the comparative financial success rates of Dukes top recruits to Kentuckys top recruits. Put it on paper in front of them .

I’m not a Drew fan in any way. I know practically nothing about him . It’s just that every future coach mentioned gets shot down by someone . People want a perfect coach and their are none . Cal wasn’t either.

I don’t understand why Drew wouldn’t be welcomed here. He always has 5* guards and physical frontcourt players on his squad. Would be the best choice (other than Oates) of continuing to recruit at an elite level. Won a title. What’s not to like?

I see . But if Bobby Knight and Rick Barnes hate him …..does that make him a friend of mine? lol . Honestly, I wish Cal would use a little more “negative “ recruiting when going head to head with Duke . He needs to show the comparative financial success rates of Dukes top recruits to Kentuckys top recruits. Put it on paper in front of them .

I’m not a Drew fan in any way. I know practically nothing about him . It’s just that every future coach mentioned gets shot down by someone . People want a perfect coach and their are none . Cal wasn’t either.

I agree. On the flip side, I get sick of every warm body that just won a game being the guy we need to pursue. I just tune in at game time and watch it anymore since I can't control anything.

I agree. On the flip side, I get sick of every warm body that just won a game being the guy we need to pursue. I just tune in at game time and watch it anymore since I can't control anything.
Me too. I’m just riding this one out like I was at the end of Tubbys tenure. I have enjoyed watching this team though, unlike Tubbys.

Speaking of negative recruiting. Did you ever read the Sports Illustrated story where they talk about Calipari telling recruits Lou Carnacesseco had cancer to keep them from going to St John’s ? Pitino said it and Calipari denied it and I don’t trust much that comes out of either ones mouth so , I don’t know what to think , lol .

Me too. I’m just riding this one out like I was at the end of Tubbys tenure. I have enjoyed watching this team though, unlike Tubbys.

Speaking of negative recruiting. Did you ever read the Sports Illustrated story where they talk about Calipari telling recruits Lou Carnacesseco had cancer to keep them from going to St John’s ? Pitino said it and Calipari denied it and I don’t trust much that comes out of either ones mouth so , I don’t know what to think , lol .

Cool man. You hate Calipari and want to dismiss my comments about Drew. Enjoy your Calipari hatefest. I won't bother to watch it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT