ADVERTISEMENT

Worst pass defense in the SEC. We’ve been exposed.

PensacolaBlue

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 26, 2022
All the rest of the teams on our schedule are good passing teams. Florida only had a few incomplete passes…their defense just didn’t show up. If we don’t get our passing game going, we won’t win another game. Just load the box and throw the ball around at will = recipe for beating us.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
All the rest of the teams on our schedule are good passing teams. Florida only had a few incomplete passes…their defense just didn’t show up. If we don’t get our passing game going, we won’t win another game. Just load the box and throw the ball around at will = recipe for beating us.
Actually, even after being picked apart last night, our pass defense is in the middle of the pack in the SEC. Our run defense is considerably better than that, but GA was smart last night to attack our edges and over the top instead of trying to run at Walker and Silver. Kirby's staff is top notch. They were at home, and they executed a smart game plan very well. That's why they are the #1 team in the country.

Our secondary has been shaky all season, and GA's coaches saw that on game film. I respect them for putting together a strong game plan. But you are overreacting. The team we played last night is elite, and many of their players will play in the NFL. If you honestly don't believe we will win another game this year, you have lost your mind.

As bad as our Dbacks are - our front 4 gets absolutely zero pressure they basically just run in place
You have to make the QB uncomfortable- unfortunately I think White knows he’s horrible on the back end and cannot afford to bring extras to blitz
I mean Beck had all day - just was able to play pitch & catch

Reactions: 23jumpboy
I truly thought our DBs would not be exposed like that yesterday

The off-season transfers and leaving for the draft DECIMATED our secondary. I knew it was going to be an issue but not a complete DISASTER. Wow...

The soft zone coverage seems to kill us against coaches smart enough to expose it. We are so scared of a home run play over the top that we allow them short passes continuously as they methodically march it down the field demoralizing and wearing out the defense. Playing teams like Georgia, you have to play more aggressive, take chances, and try to jump routes etc.

Last edited:
Another 70% passer coming in Sat plus this guy can run a little.

And a system that loves going underneath to methodically move the chains. It's a tough matchup for us mentality wise. We try to make teams snap it a bunch and Mizzou wants to play exactly that way

And a system that loves going underneath to methodically move the chains. It's a tough matchup for us mentality wise. We try to make teams snap it a bunch and Mizzou wants to play exactly that way
Just can't run a D that features no pressure while your secondary sits back in a soft zone. All you're doing is hoping the QB throws a bad pass.

Just can't run a D that features no pressure while your secondary sits back in a soft zone. All you're doing is hoping the QB throws a bad pass.

We went in a soft zone. We were too aggressive to start and played a bunch of man. They were just that open. We don't have the personnel to cover man when our blitzes dont make it. Then on play action our safeties, especially childress, but up constantly leaving a TE open. Even when we had good coverage they made contested catches.

When we went more zone we actually started slowing them down a little and got the pick, but the game was way out of hand.

Weaver has zero pass rush ability on the edge and it hurts. They were ready for our MLB blitzes. Honestly our best pass rush guy is probably dhy and that isn't a great thing. We need better talent on the edge.

The only approach we ever play is drop 8 and pray … we rarely , if ever , play man and rush 6 . It’s got to easy as heck to scout us … we never pressure . It’s as maddening as a 2nd and twenty run . And just as predictable . It’s bend don’t break , but that doesn’t work against a team 2 TDS better than you … yeah we hold Mizz to 20 and hope we eek out 21 , but it’s boring as hell to watch .. as always , too damn conservative

We were undisciplined in the secondary. UGA clearly saw the habits on film and took advantage. They are us up on 3rd and short when our DBs and LBs would fly up on a PA to over emphasize the run and it left wide open TEs and Receivers running across tabs down the hashes.

Gambling occasionally is ok but we would have been better off playing straight up assignment football

Do they not practice breaking on a passed ball? You watch it and it's like 'just hang on the best you can.' Instead of 'make a play!' But I kept saying early in the game we have to get big pressure on the QB and if picks us apart then, he just does. Hate just sitting back and be picked apart. At least go down on your toes and not your heels.

Last edited:
As bad as our Dbacks are - our front 4 gets absolutely zero pressure they basically just run in place
You have to make the QB uncomfortable- unfortunately I think White knows he’s horrible on the back end and cannot afford to bring extras to blitz
I mean Beck had all day - just was able to play pitch & catch
Our front three is built to stop the run and get pressure from the linebackers and blitzers. In a perfect world we have an edge rusher that brings heat every passing down but we just don’t have that guy. Weaver might give us some but he’s not great off the snap. Not sure what we need to do in this situation. But how do you let their best player run free all night long?

Actually, even after being picked apart last night, our pass defense is in the middle of the pack in the SEC. Our run defense is considerably better than that, but GA was smart last night to attack our edges and over the top instead of trying to run at Walker and Silver. Kirby's staff is top notch. They were at home, and they executed a smart game plan very well. That's why they are the #1 team in the country.

Our secondary has been shaky all season, and GA's coaches saw that on game film. I respect them for putting together a strong game plan. But you are overreacting. The team we played last night is elite, and many of their players will play in the NFL. If you honestly don't believe we will win another game this year, you have lost your mind.

I actually thought we'd struggle more in pass defense than we have up until this past weekend. We're very young in the d backfield and got younger this week with the loss of Geiger during the game.

I'm still not as worried about the defense as I am the offense. If the offense can't sustain drives and score, the defense won't be able to outscore most teams left on our schedule. I think the defense can fix some things and play better. The offense should be able to do so, but inexplicably hasn't.

We're either at an inflection point or a tangent right now. We'll see which it is this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT