ADVERTISEMENT

Worst four year stretches in UK history dating back to 1948

TJWalkersBurner

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2021
Note: I’m NOT counting anomalies for some of these stats (ie, 1952-53, 2019-2020, etc.). Apologies for any mistakes, truly. As you can probably guess, there’s not a particularly great database that houses these stats and makes them easy to review. If anyone finds any errors (legitimate ones, not “THAT AINT FAIR TO COUNT CUZ NERLENS GOT HURT”), then I’ll gladly correct.

1) least number of wins in a four year period:
  • Worst stretch I can find is 1962-65 (75 wins).
  • Worst recent stretch (post-1970s) was the last two years of tubby plus BCG two years (84 wins).
  • Worst recent stretch (post-1970s) by a single UK coach was 99-02, tubby smith (97 wins).
  • Current four year stretch (2021-24) is at 72 wins (obviously still a lot of season left, but I think we’re all but guaranteed to have the worst 4 year stretch by a single UK coach from a total wins perspective since the 1970s.)

2) most losses in a four year period
  • Worst stretch I can find was the last two years of tubby plus BCG two years (52 losses).
  • Worst stretch by a single UK coach is the current four year stretch, 21-24 (41 losses).
3) worst win percentage over a four year period
  • Worst I could find was last three years of Sutton plus pitinos first year (.59016).
  • Current win percentage for 21-24 (again, season not complete) would be the worst by a single uk coach at .63716.

4) least number of tournament wins over a four year period
  • Worst by a single UK coach is Hall at 3 wins from (79-82) (note, the tournament wasn’t always 6 rounds; I didn’t take the time to adjust for that; ie, if a coach made it to the sweet 16 in 1980, I gave that coach credit for 2 wins instead of 1).
  • Currently have 1 win over the last three seasons. Need to get to the s16 to at least tie for the worst four year stretch by a single UK coach (again, not adjusting for the fact that tournament wasn’t always six rounds).

5) longest stretch without at least a share of the SEC regular season title

• Worst stretch I can find was Tubbys last two years plus BCGs last two years - 4 straight seasons without a share of the SEC title.
  • Worst stretch by a single UK coach was Rupp from 59-61 (three years) and Calipari 21-23 (three years).
  • If we don’t win it this year, Cal will own the longest streak without at least a share of the SEC regular season title by a single UK coach dating back to Rupp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News