ADVERTISEMENT

Cal currently ranks first in individual losses over a four-year period by any one coach in UK history.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
'06-09 seasons: 52 losses (two coaches)
'87-90 seasons: 50 losses (includes probation and includes two coaches)
'21-24 seasons: 44 losses (the most by one individual coach in UK history during a four-year stretch).
'99-22 seasons: 39 losses

Pitino had 50 losses TOTAL in 8 years at UK, including the two probation years. Using the last four years as a measurement, Cal might pass him up in half that time.

No individual UK coach has lost more games in a four-year stretch.

He just keeps setting bad records,
If he survives this, he'll have done something that Tubby, BCG, and Sutton failed to pull off when they were knee deep in the septic tank portion of their UK career.

Historically, when UK coaches are the reason we enter these historical eras of mediocrity, it has meant a coaching regime change every time. 3/3 so far. I think Cal leaves town after this year. The pressure will be too much, and he probably can take a mini-buyout before heading somewhere like UCLA for 4 or 5 seasons of elite recruiting and underperformance on the court.

'21-24 seasons: 44 losses (the most by one individual coach in UK history during a four-year stretch).

Pitino had 50 losses TOTAL in 8 years at UK, including the two probation years. Using the last four years as a measurement, Cal might pass him up in half that time.

Just keeps breaking s the wrong records

He just keeps setting bad records,

Just keeps breaking s the wrong records
Oh, and he'll make sure the cupboard is bare when he leaves. Whoever inherits this mess will be looking at a sub 10 win season. Cal will make sure of that. He'll wait until the summer before he takes another job, so that the portal will mostly be closed, and the next coach will be screwed.

Oh, and he'll make sure the cupboard is bare when he leaves. Whoever inherits this mess will be looking at a sub 10 win season. Cal will make sure of that. He'll wait until the summer before he takes another job, so that the portal will mostly be closed, and the next coach will be screwed.
I wouldn't say that. A decent hire with time to hit the portal can turn things around really quick. Cal even did it without the portal. He did gut Memphis on the way out though. Maybe the new coach will bring a player or two with them. Plus I would imagine a few players would stay and some recruits might stay committed depending on who we hire. It's not nearly as hard to rebuild these days. Especially with NIL money.

I wouldn't say that. A decent hire with time to hit the portal can turn things around really quick. Cal even did it without the portal. He did gut Memphis on the way out though. Maybe the new coach will bring a player or two with them. Plus I would imagine a few players would stay and some recruits might stay committed depending on who we hire. It's not nearly as hard to rebuild these days. Especially with NIL money.
Cal needs to get out in time for the next coach to bring in four or five great players from the portal. We saw how quickly the best guys got swooped up last year. If Cal waits until the late Spring, we're screwed.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
That's perfectly fine with me because it means we'll be ridden of that albatross. The new coach won't have to deal with so many prima donna's while putting in a UK-first system.

That’s why we need to fire him after March. I don’t care the cost. We can’t let him dictate our future like that.

Not with the transfer portal and a respected coach. , this new era, all a coach has to do is get 2 players to come back, 2 recruits to stay committed because they want to keep that huge NIL deal they are getting to come here..... and then put transfers around them. that should be enough to have a good season. I wouldnt expect a title but I am absolutely sure we should have a good year.

Add that to the list of Cal’s amazing stars at UK

Reactions: EliteBlue
New lows after EVERY game. And with that RIDICULOUS contract, we are stuck with him until he gets tired of the criticism. I am hopeful that his ENORMOUS EGO won't allow him to stay, even with all of that money.

Not with the transfer portal and a respected coach. , this new era, all a coach has to do is get 2 players to come back, 2 recruits to stay committed because they want to keep that huge NIL deal they are getting to come here..... and then put transfers around them. that should be enough to have a good season. I wouldnt expect a title but I am absolutely sure we should have a good year.
I agree, get Scott Drew in here. Convince Reed to come back and bring his recruiting class with him. Edgecombe, a 7’0 JC guy (assume he’s a brute like his other Baylor bigs), Rob Wright from Monteverde is a talented point guard. Also signed a 6’8 Top 50 recruit from Hillcrest in Phoenix. Fill in the holes with portal guys. Who knows, maybe he convinces Oyenso and Burks to stick around.

That’s not a bad foundation, especially if we could start two potential Top-10 picks in the backcourt.

If he survives this, he'll have done something that Tubby, BCG, and Sutton failed to pull off when they were knee deep in the septic tank portion of their UK career.

Historically, when UK coaches are the reason we enter these historical eras of mediocrity, it has meant a coaching regime change every time. 3/3 so far. I think Cal leaves town after this year. The pressure will be too much, and he probably can take a mini-buyout before heading somewhere like UCLA for 4 or 5 seasons of elite recruiting and underperformance on the court.

I'll buy it if it ends poorly. The fact that he had Dillingham in last night in crunch time leads me to believe some stuff is about to change....meaning keys to the castle.

Rob is frustrating as all get out but is the most dynamic player we've had here since Fox/Monk.

If Cal passes the torch to him and Shep with Reeves things may change really quickly. Rob is the kind of talent that can carry a team to a FF or Title.

Nevertheless, it is always some dramatic BS...year in year out.

Almost every player leaves every year anyway.

9 years without a final four

4 years without an elite eight

4 years without a sweet sixteen

Longest streak without a 1 seen (9 years)

Worst in # of loss over a 4 year period (52)

Lost the all-time wins record to Kansas

First to ever lose 3 home games in a row since 1966

11-9 record against Rick Barnes

Only Coach to recruit a player, let him sit on the bench all year, and then let him leave for the NBA

Letting Whitney quit and then transfer

Letting Wheeler quit

• Love
Reactions: CROCAT
9 years without a final four

4 years without an elite eight

4 years without a sweet sixteen

Longest streak without a 1 seen (9 years)

Worst in # of loss over a 4 year period (52)

Lost the all-time wins record to Kansas

First to ever lose 3 home games in a row since 1966

11-9 record against Rick Barnes

Only Coach to recruit a player, let him sit on the bench all year, and then let him leave for the NBA

Letting Whitney quit and then transfer

Letting Wheeler quit
I'd imagine his record vs ranked teams is historically bad.

He needs to go back to Memphis I think they would want him and pay him a lot of money also.

I agree, get Scott Drew in here. Convince Reed to come back and bring his recruiting class with him. Edgecombe, a 7’0 JC guy (assume he’s a brute like his other Baylor bigs), Rob Wright from Monteverde is a talented point guard. Also signed a 6’8 Top 50 recruit from Hillcrest in Phoenix. Fill in the holes with portal guys. Who knows, maybe he convinces Oyenso and Burks to stick around.

That’s not a bad foundation, especially if we could start two potential Top-10 picks in the backcourt.
Scott Drew would make Burks a player imo (and Drew isn’t my first option but I think Burks could fit his style). Burks is extremely athletic and handles and shoots decently…. He just needs real coaching in an actual offensive system and not a ball dominated system

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT