ADVERTISEMENT

With NIL, could guys like Rondo and Patterson *finish* out their eligibility at Kentucky after their pro careers are done?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Before, the situation was all about the line regarding amateurism. In previous years, a guy like Rondo would lose his college edibility the moment he signed with an agent or took benefits with a pro team. Now that the NIL is in place, does this even apply anymore?

If not, how fascinating would it be if some of our older players (who could likewise use the cash) were able to finish up the rest of their college eligibility after their pro careers are done. They could finish their degree while playing at UK for a few hundred thousand dollars/year.

Guys like Rondo, Patterson, even guys like James Young and Archie Goodwin whose pro careers derailed a bit. They might be able to make more playing for Kentucky than what they get overseas.

Payments for NIL and earning a salaried paycheck are two entirely different things.
Are they? Poythress earned a pay check working at Wendy's. What's the difference? You can respond by writing, "salaried", but is that the NCAA's official stance now? Amateurism is officially dead now.

Actually amateurism isn't "officially" dead. No one is being officially paid to play basketball, and that's what amateurism is.

Reactions: G-PIP
Are they? Poythress earned a pay check working at Wendy's. What's the difference? You can respond by writing, "salaried", but is that the NCAA's official stance now? Amateurism is officially dead now.

The difference is that Poythress was paid to flip burgers, but played basketball without earning a paycheck for it. Please tell me you are not confused by this concept.

The difference is that Poythress was paid to flip burgers, but played basketball without earning a paycheck for it. Please tell me you are not confused by this concept.
But you're assuming salaried professionalism and endorsements through NIL are exclusive to one another. How so, specifically?

If Nike decides they want to pay the next Zion $15 million over the course of his year in college - while he plays for Duke or Kentucky - how is that different than receiving a bi-weekly check with a pro team?

You're imposing the idea that the NCAA draws the line at salaried checks, but professionalism means gaining compensation for one's likeness or performance in a sport. Professionalism is professionalism. So salaried checks are out, but making indefinite money off likeness isn't?

I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm saying that we don't know where the lines are anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: PbAbdo
No, he is trying to extend the bogus logic used to justify NIL in the first place. Basically the logic is if you made money at anything then you are entitled make money at everything. This led us to the current state of filth we find ourselves in.

Actually amateurism isn't "officially" dead. No one is being officially paid to play basketball, and that's what amateurism is.
So being "officially" paid to play basketball is where the NCAA draws the line?

If the NIL was in effect in 1998, T-Mac could have gone to UK for a year while making $10 million from Adidas at the same time. You're suggesting because it wasn't "official" compensation to play basketball, that would have been permissible?

Maybe so. I'm suggesting no one really knows yet because this thing has just started.

I'm not sure I understand OP. Players are still ineligible if they go pro. How would Rondo come back to UK?
So professionalism is only in salaried compensation for professionalism, but it's not for compensation for endorsements, even if those endorsements range in the millions?

Seems like a thin line to me.

No, he is trying to extend the bogus logic used to justify NIL in the first place. Basically the logic is if you made money at anything then you are entitled make money at everything. This led us to the current state of filth we find ourselves in.
You always have the option of opting out as a fan instead of lamenting on this message board every day like a sackcloth and ashes prophet lamenting about Zion.

You always have the option of opting out as a fan instead of lamenting on this message board every day like a sackcloth and ashes prophet lamenting about Zion.
Just pointing out the flawed logic of this NIL abomination. Why do you resort to a personal attack? Shitty logic was used to implement NIL. The poster was trying to extend this bogus reasoning. I pointed that out. It’s called discussion. Get the sack cloth off your face and you might see that.

Just pointing out the flawed logic of this NIL abomination. Why do you resort to a personal attack? Shitty logic was used to implement NIL. The poster was trying to extend this bogus reasoning. I pointed that out. It’s called discussion. Get the sack cloth off your face and you might see that.
NIL isn't going anywhere. Are you going to complain about it every week ad infinitum?

Cal isn’t going anywhere but people dump all over the cats ad infinitum? Go whine at them.

Ca is 100% in favor of professionalizing college basketball. He’s 100% in changing the sport into a version you absolutely don’t like.

Yet you back him and his vision over and over.

You need to figure yourself out.

Ca is 100% in favor of professionalizing college basketball. He’s 100% in changing the sport into a version you absolutely don’t like.

Yet you back him and his vision over and over.

You need to figure yourself out.
Thank you for making my point. Morgie, we know it’s you.

It’s an interesting questioning that does poke holes in the current NIL structure (structure is being used sarcastically here). Can you imagine a freshman Askew going up against a 32 year old NBA veteran?

Before, the situation was all about the line regarding amateurism. In previous years, a guy like Rondo would lose his college edibility the moment he signed with an agent or took benefits with a pro team. Now that the NIL is in place, does this even apply anymore?

If not, how fascinating would it be if some of our older players (who could likewise use the cash) were able to finish up the rest of their college eligibility after their pro careers are done. They could finish their degree while playing at UK for a few hundred thousand dollars/year.

Guys like Rondo, Patterson, even guys like James Young and Archie Goodwin whose pro careers derailed a bit. They might be able to make more playing for Kentucky than what they get overseas.
You should be banned for this. Ridiculous

They may be able to play another sport, like JR Smith currently being on a college golf team (yes, the NCAA ruled him eligible).

I follow JR Smith on Twitter, and he’s taking college and golf seriously. It’s really cool to see.

You're still miserable? And it's a Saturday at that.

It’s Ryan or something Matt is throwing out here. Maybe Matt himself.

I just threw him in ignore and I never have to see the post it’s great. Someone told me he responds to me quite often and is irritated I blocked him. That’s cool too.

Just block him and have everyone else do the same. I’m aware he’ll change names but just ignore that one too.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I want to see Cousins come back for a 10 day contract next March 😂
Antoine Walker just got the great news
tenor_large.gif

They may be able to play another sport, like JR Smith currently being on a college golf team (yes, the NCAA ruled him eligible).

I follow JR Smith on Twitter, and he’s taking college and golf seriously. It’s really cool to see.
I watched him in Vegas AAU ball when he, Rondo and Chris Lofton were all rising high school seniors. He was as impressive as any player there. Committed to UNCheat but thank goodness he went straight to the pros.

No they wouldn’t. NCAA rules give athletes a five year window from the time they start college to complete four years of playing eligibility. Once your five years have expired, you’re done. The only exception is that sometimes they grant a special sixth year waiver on injury or religious ( ie. BYU missionary players) grounds.

The reason JR Smith is allowed to play golf is because he never started college way back when, having entered the NBA draft straight from high school. Thus his five-year window did not begin to run until this year. That obviously would not apply to the former UK players mentioned in this thread, as their five year window expired long ago.

Last edited:
No they wouldn’t. The NCAA rules give athletes a five year window from the time they start college to complete four years of playing eligibility …unless they can get a special and rare sixth year waiver on injury or religious ( ie. BYU) grounds.

The reason JR Smith is allowed to play golf because he never started college to begin with, having entered the draft straight from high school. Thus his five-year window did not begin to run until this year. That obviously would not apply to the former UK players mentioned in this thread, their five year window expired long ago.
Didn't know this. So the stories of older dudes paying basketball at low level colleges hadn't went to college? Or do those schools not fall under NCAA rules

Sounds like that movie where Sinbad and Scott Bacula go back to play college football and I didn’t think it was believable then

Didn't know this. So the stories of older dudes paying basketball at low level colleges hadn't went to college? Or do those schools not fall under NCAA rules
I believe those stories usually revolve around NAIA or JC schools. Those schools aren’t governed by NCAA rules, they’re a whole different thing with their own set of rules.

Or sometimes it’s just guys that didn’t start college until later in life.

Last edited:
Sounds like that movie where Sinbad and Scott Bacula go back to play college football and I didn’t think it was believable then
Remember, Bacula never went to college because his dad died, so he had his eligibility. Don’t know he Sinbad was still eligible after he played for a few years, graduated, then got his masters degree and became a professor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT