ADVERTISEMENT

Wish me luck, going to get my pacemaker put in now

Welcome to the club!! I got one nearly 7 years ago when I was 51 years old, nearly the same age my dad was when he got his back in 1979. Doctor believes hereditary.

My resting heart rate was like 38. For an elite athlete that's in prime physical shape, that's not uncommon. But for your average Joe, that's not good. Pacemaker now has mine where it will never drop below 60.

Good luck!!

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
Prayers, sorry to hear what the Cats have done to you the last few years. I wonder if you can call Melbourne Mills to sue Cal over a broken heart? All jokes aside, get well and return to comment for many more years.

Never thought I'd have to do this at 39 years old. But I appreciate all you guys on here.
Got my first in 1988 (early 20s, it was an Army thing), then replaced it in 1996 and 2009 at the VA. Mine is "on-demand," meaning it only runs when my heart rate drops too low. This is different than a defibrillator, which shocks the heart when it stops. I pray you'll do well, but I believe you will. These things are so advanced nowadays compared to my first one.

Welcome to the club!! I got one nearly 7 years ago when I was 51 years old, nearly the same age my dad was when he got his back in 1979. Doctor believes hereditary.

My resting heart rate was like 38. For an elite athlete that's in prime physical shape, that's not uncommon. But for your average Joe, that's not good. Pacemaker now has mine where it will never drop below 60.

Good luck!!
Same here! I had a normal resting heart rate, but started developing seizures in Air Traffic Control School (It's a long story, but an interesting one). But during an active seizure my HR would drop below 15bpm, which is the opposite of what normally happens. They put in an on-demand to keep my heart going whenever I seize.

Last edited:
Best of Luck! Hope the procedure goes well and you begin feeling better soon. Keep us posted on your recovery!

Praying for doctors to take care of you, praying for quick healing for you. I have a co worker (been friends for 20 years now) he is on his 2nd pacemaker. I was on a jobsite with him once when the d-fib jolted him 3 times to get his heart back working properly. He told me he had been worried what it would be like if it happened. He laughed about it after we put him in the ambulance. They had to get his potassium levels corrected. Has not happened since.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Never thought I'd have to do this at 39 years old. But I appreciate all you guys on here.
Did you get a second opinion? Know a guy that the heart doctor told him he needed a pacemaker but he got a second opinion from a more experienced heart doctor and they told him his level was not 40 or something like that and he didn't need one. The guy is doing fine 15 years later.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Prayers sent to you Michael D. Watched you play football and basketball in high school. You was tough as nails! You got this!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT