ADVERTISEMENT

Wiseman on leaving memfus

“I study Anthony Davis, Dirk Nowitzki, and Karl-Anthony Townes”.

Guess what buddy. 2 of those guys absolutely EXCELLED at the University of Kentucky and the other would have as well had he chose to go to college. Go cry me a river with this woe is me bullshit. His sorry ass gets what it deserves. Kentucky will always have the last laugh.

James was a virtual lock for Kentucky. On the AAU circuit it wasn't even a question, everyone would say "James is going to UK". He was a lock for 3 years to UK. Memphis hired his coach (Penny), and then Penny also paid him and his mom to move them.

At that point, honestly, what do you think his options were? Penny had him over a barrel. Once he took that cash, what was he supposed to do? It's just him and his mom.
He absolutely wanted to come to UK. You could look at it like this, Penny took advantage of the situation, or Penny was just trying to help but either way, the result was James was a kid and made a bad decision.
He paid for that decision by forfeiting his college career.

This same situation happens all the time in college basketball recruiting. Penny was just really bad at it because he was a new coach. Its a sad situation because Cal said he is a great kid, and we all know how badly he wanted to play for UK.

Just a case of a kid with his hand out meeting a coach with Pearlesque ethics. The kid begging for cash. Penny using the Pearl, “I didn’t do nuffin real bad” defense. College basketball would be better off with such trash.

James was a virtual lock for Kentucky. On the AAU circuit it wasn't even a question, everyone would say "James is going to UK". He was a lock for 3 years to UK. Memphis hired his coach (Penny), and then Penny also paid him and his mom to move them.

At that point, honestly, what do you think his options were? Penny had him over a barrel. Once he took that cash, what was he supposed to do? It's just him and his mom.
He absolutely wanted to come to UK. You could look at it like this, Penny took advantage of the situation, or Penny was just trying to help but either way, the result was James was a kid and made a bad decision.

This same situation happens all the time in college basketball recruiting. Penny was just really bad at it because he was a new coach. Its a sad situation because Cal said he is a great kid, and we all know how badly he wanted to play for UK.

Yeah. As a former college athlete, Penny knew the rules. Even if your intentions were poor, he had to know his association with Memphis would look BAD for James. When he took the job, he had to know it was an utter disaster if it ever came out. And he simply thought he'd get away with it. He had a kid that looked up and respected him, and giving the kid money--even for good intentions--was a terrible disservice to the child and his future.

Yeah. As a former college athlete, Penny knew the rules. Even if your intentions were poor, he had to know his association with Memphis would look BAD for James. When he took the job, he had to know it was an utter disaster if it ever came out. And he simply thought he'd get away with it. He had a kid that looked up and respected him, and giving the kid money--even for good intentions--was a terrible disservice to the child and his future.

Well stated man. Agree 100%

Story could still work out for everybody.

• We could still win a ‘ship with Nick
  • Wiseman could still be a monster in the league
  • Penny could still be stuck in that shithole Memphis for decades

Yes, sir. That's what I hope too. The situation sucks but I would love to just see it work out like you said.

Reactions: BlueSince92

Allegedly the Wisemans knew the game. Hardaway gave that family a lot more than 13K.

Allegedly Memphis hired Hardaway for James Wiseman. Everyone associated with the hire knew what the game was.

Allegedly This was a pay for play scheme that involved Hardaway landing the Memphis job and and Memphis landing James Wiseman. The plan to sue the NCAA was made long before Wiseman even announced for Memphis.

Allegedly Memphis was desperate and thought they could use the national sentiment against the NCAA to their advantage and get away with it. The Wiseman's took that gamble as well. There's no need in feeling sympathy for any involved.

Just a case of a kid with his hand out meeting a coach with Pearlesque ethics. The kid begging for cash. Penny using the Pearl, “I didn’t do nuffin real bad” defense. College basketball would be better off with such trash.
Yep, no matter how you rephrase it or rename it, the bottom line is that Hardaway paid this kid to move to Memphis to play for Penny. I've heard it said multiple different ways by Memphis fans and various apologists, but that's what it really is and there is no getting around it. After the TSSAA declared him ineligible, they found a crooked judge to sign an injunction and then they threatened the TSSAA and intimidated them into allowing the kid to play. When the NCAA said he had to sit, they went to the same judge and got the same kind of order. But then the NCAA called their bluff.

I will add, with the way this all ended, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out that more money than just "moving expenses" and that may be what the NCAA is investigating.

Wiseman never should have gotten involved with Penny Hardaway.

“I study Anthony Davis, Dirk Nowitzki, and Karl-Anthony Townes”.

Guess what buddy. 2 of those guys absolutely EXCELLED at the University of Kentucky and the other would have as well had he chose to go to college. Go cry me a river with this woe is me bullshit. His sorry ass gets what it deserves. Kentucky will always have the last laugh.

Ha, ironically enough the 3rd (Dirk) was a UK lock had he come to college.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
Allegedly the Wisemans knew the game. Hardaway gave that family a lot more than 13K.

Allegedly Memphis hired Hardaway for James Wiseman. Everyone associated with the hire knew what the game was.

Allegedly This was a pay for play scheme that involved Hardaway landing the Memphis job and and Memphis landing James Wiseman. The plan to sue the NCAA was made long before Wiseman even announced for Memphis.

Allegedly Memphis was desperate and thought they could use the national sentiment against the NCAA to their advantage and get away with it. The Wiseman's took that gamble as well. There's no need in feeling sympathy for any involved.

All may be true.

James Wiseman also could have manned up. He could have served his 12 game suspension and came back by early January. The first bank he walked into would have lent him the money.

I don't feel sorry for any of them.

I’m sure James is a great kid. Really I do. Penny took advantage.

That being sad I don’t feel the LEAST bit bad for him. He made his decision. He didn’t HAVE to leave Memphis. He is going to be about $30 million richer in a few months so it’s hard for me to take his go fund me or woe is me attitude quite so seriously.

This is why I say f*** Penny and f*** Mempiss.

Enjoy sucking, assholes.

As most of my critics on here are aware I have connections with with the private schools in Nashville. Wiseman was at Ensworth and was suddenly in Memphis. Everyone knew what went down. The TSSAA opened an investigation but it quickly went away. From Nashville to Memphis there were schools, coaches, and handlers who wanted it buried. The NCAA was forced to do something when they were made aware of the 13,000 dollar Payment for moving expenses. Wiseman is a good kid but unfortunately like so many of these kids the leaches swoop in to pray on them for a free ride.

As most of my critics on here are aware I have connections with with the private schools in Nashville. Wiseman was at Ensworth and was suddenly in Memphis. Everyone knew what went down. The TSSAA opened an investigation but it quickly went away. From Nashville to Memphis there were schools, coaches, and handlers who wanted it buried. The NCAA was forced to do something when they were made aware of the 13,000 dollar Payment for moving expenses. Wiseman is a good kid but unfortunately like so many of these kids the leaches swoop in to pray on them for a free ride.
I'd be willing to bet that there were other illegal payments that haven't come out...........yet.

The young man and his family and/or his handlers made some incredibly poor decisions. He got exactly what he should have expected as a result of those decisions. I see no reason to be the least bit sympathetic. He chose his own path.

Yep, no matter how you rephrase it or rename it, the bottom line is that Hardaway paid this kid to move to Memphis to play for Penny. I've heard it said multiple different ways by Memphis fans and various apologists, but that's what it really is and there is no getting around it. After the TSSAA declared him ineligible, they found a crooked judge to sign an injunction and then they threatened the TSSAA and intimidated them into allowing the kid to play. When the NCAA said he had to sit, they went to the same judge and got the same kind of order. But then the NCAA called their bluff.

I will add, with the way this all ended, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out that more money than just "moving expenses" and that may be what the NCAA is investigating.

Wiseman never should have gotten involved with Penny Hardaway.

Well said.

No one paid for my tuition or expenses in life. Someone start me a go fund me since I had to work, the four letter word all millenials are scared of. :rolleyes:o_O:flush:
Don't worry, if Bernie gets elected he'll reimburse you for all of your college expenses.

The young man and his family and/or his handlers made some incredibly poor decisions. He got exactly what he should have expected as a result of those decisions. I see no reason to be the least bit sympathetic. He chose his own path.
My Grandmother always told me that people will do anything for money even if it means rob, cheat or steal. This is a classic example.

All may be true.

James Wiseman also could have manned up. He could have served his 12 game suspension and came back by early January. The first bank he walked into would have lent him the money.

I don't feel sorry for any of them.
i don’t think banks just lend money to people who MIGHT make it bigtime

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT