ADVERTISEMENT

Will we be any good......?

SouthernINcat

Freshman
Nov 27, 2011
Serious Question. Obviously time will tell, I know this. But will these pieces Pope has put together be good?

How good? I don't know if we will be top 10 good or NIT bound.

Curious about opinions...

I don't have any hope for this year's team. I won't blame the coach at all. Impossible to put a good team together in a month with a no name coach that brings no good players with him. Year 2 is where we should be looking.

There is not a single doubt in my mind that we will be better than the team John Calipari was about to roll out for next season.

Take that however you would like to.
We were going to suck (by UK standards) and Cal knew it. That is why he bolted and is trying to rebrand his image down in Hog land.
The one thing that pisses me off is knowing that some of the players Cal took with him would have been shoved out the door had he stayed on at UK. He desperately needed them to field a decent team and put his used car salesman pitch into action. At UK...he didn't give a rats ass anymore what we thought.
That was obvious when he left two top five draft picks on the bench to rot 8 minutes a game all season.
No coach in America does that if they are worried about their job or winning games.

Just got off the phone with Pope and I ran this question by him and he says the standard at UK is to win every game and compete for championships, even in year 1.

So I’m predicting 40-0 and #9.
I would accept that, but I’d rather win every game by at least 15 points 😉
Seriously though we have 3 potential all conference defenders, plus one of the best bigs in the ACC last season and several of the top percentage 3 point shooters from last season. Don’t forget 3 quality freshman to not sleep on. I think we are in good shape. Plus one or 2 more incoming

I don't have any hope for this year's team. I won't blame the coach at all. Impossible to put a good team together in a month with a no name coach that brings no good players with him. Year 2 is where we should be looking.
It definitely is possible in 2024 with the way the transfer portal has evolved. They'll be fine.

Serious Question. Obviously time will tell, I know this. But will these pieces Pope has put together be good?

I am taking more of a wait-and-approach before getting excited about next year. However, with the current roster we have at this very second, I believe we will finish in the middle-of-the-pack in SEC play. I think we do squeek into the NCAAT with a 9-10 seed. We might pull off a win in the first round of the tournament, but that is the ceiling imo.

Now, the outlook drastically changes with the addition of either or both of Lanier or Robinson. If we get one, I will factor am additional 2-3 wins on the season. If we get both, I will think we will win at least 5 more games on the season, with a Sweet 16 finish as the floor. The dynamic of the team drastically changes with Lanier and/or Robinson, which would push us into Final Four contention. Fingers crossed!

How many times is this going to be asked this week?

I firmly believe we'll be better than we have been for several years. I look for us to be no worse than a 4 seed and to win a few games in the tournament.

I'm pretty optimistic, even as the roster stands right now. It seems Pope has been intentional in putting the pieces together, we will have so much experience, Pope's offensive scheme will be way better, and, though not "glamorous," we have players that are specifically skilled (3 point %, DPOY in conference, etc.).

I think we'll have a better team than last year but maybe not a better record. The reason I say that is the predicted strength of the SEC. A recent projected top 25 I saw(when UK only had 4-5 players) had seven
SEC teams in the top 25 and those 7 did not include UK or South Carolina or Ole Miss(both were good last year) or Texas.

We're absolutely going to suck. Hope you're doing well, Ron.

3D Wow GIF

How many times is this going to be asked this week?

I firmly believe we'll be better than we have been for several years. I look for us to be no worse than a 4 seed and to win a few games in the tournament.
You don't have to post, we are not all waiting around for your opinion every time

You don't have to post, we are not all waiting around for your opinion every time
Kind of like nobody's waiting around to see the same question asked over and over again, either. But at least I answered it unlike you.

It's hard to tell. Get either Lanier or Robinson and we have the potential to be really good. It also depends on how the team meshes together and whether or not we have any issues with bruised egos concerning who was paid what.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Bottom line will be wins vs. Losses. Pope will make it if he wins enough games to satisfy the mob aka BBN.

Let's look at just a little bit of what Kentucky has, when March rolls around, compared to recent history:

A. A guy who hit a buzzer beater in the FInal Four.
B. A guy whose team won more NCAA games in one year than Kentucky has over the past five years, including a win over a 1 seed.
C. A guy who made more three pointers against Oakland last year and scored more points than presumed NBA lottery picks Reed Sheppard, Rob Dillingham, and Arkansas players DJ Wagner and Zvonir Ivisic - COMBINED.

So if the Cats can get to the Dance, I don't see a St. Peters or Oakland outcome in the forecast.

Last edited:

7 years of shit I need more Pope

There is not a single doubt in my mind that we will be better than the team John Calipari was about to roll out for next season.

Take that however you would like to.
So basically win 1 postseason game (either sec or ncaa tournament)? Talk about a low bar

It’s hard to say, but I don’t think this will be a team that loses games that they are supposed to win. We’ll have some losses, but I think it will be a competitive, fun team to watch.

At this point, before the season starts, I think I might feel better about the team prospects and the combined personnel already on this roster than any UK team since the 2014-15 squad. How it actually plays out we’ll have to see. There have been seasons since 2015 where the teams have been both better and worse than I expected. But the fact UK isn’t going to be forced to rely on underdeveloped freshmen to carry the team once again at least gives me more preseason hope than I’ve had in a while (21-22 season being an exception).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT