Do we have college sports next season?

• Yes, with fans

Votes: 50 36.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 59 43.1%
  • Yes with no fans

Votes: 28 20.4%

• Total voters
I guess i am a positive person as i believe this will be over my end of May or a little before. We may have to start some sports latter than past years. We just need to abide by the rules and take care of yourself. We serve a great God who is in control & will take care of us.

So, every is blowing smoke. If schools reconvene too early, we’re right back stuck in our houses again. This is a child’s question. Can King Kong beat Godzilla.
Man, I have never seen such a negative response to a decent original post. I get that you dont like the fact that the post was written, but you seem to be upset that others are responding to it, and responding with a sincere response. I am glad you are not a mod.

Reactions: UK90
Don’t get what exactly?
You will need to look at his posts. He doesnt seem to know that one in four people with this virus are asymptomatic. These people feel no impact from the virus, and are the ones most likely to spread it.

So, every is blowing smoke. If schools reconvene too early, we’re right back stuck in our houses again. This is a child’s question. Can King Kong beat Godzilla.
Only because he got struck by lightning. Godzilla had him dead to rights

Reactions: ruppcat
If there is no football because of this virus,it won’t matter because our economy is devastated. If we are still shutting down the country 3-4 months from now, there will be a economic depression greater than anytime in our history. The downstream effects of closing small businesses and putting millions out of work will impact each of us for the rest of our lives.
This. I feel this virus will have a greater impact financially, than it will physically. I know this gonna sound morbid, but, well its the truth. The COVID-19 virus is basically non-existent for 80%+ of this country. There are what---roughly 329 million people? That means almost 300 million will never be impacted physically by the virus. So,I mean when do we as a country decide to protect 300 million, opposed to roughly 30 million? I know, I know...Its a callus thought. But as you said, if we are still shut down some 3-4 months from now---We will see a depression as no other.

This. I feel this virus will have a greater impact financially, than it will physically. I know this gonna sound morbid, but, well its the truth. The COVID-19 virus is basically non-existent for 80%+ of this country. There are what---roughly 329 million people? That means almost 300 million will never be impacted physically by the virus. So,I mean when do we as a country decide to protect 300 million, opposed to roughly 30 million? I know, I know...Its a callus thought. But as you said, if we are still shut down some 3-4 months from now---We will see a depression as no other.

You do realize the only reason there are unaffected people is that they are living foxholes. I’ve lost well into 6 figures on this already. I expect to lose more. I would not ask the life of your parents or your grandparents to get it back.

This is always a risk. Pandemics are a freaking nightmare. Man up.

You do realize the only reason there are unaffected people is that they are living foxholes. I’ve lost well into 6 figures on this already. I expect to lose more. I would not ask the life of your parents or your grandparents to get it back.

This is always a risk. Pandemics are a freaking nightmare. Man up.
No, that is not the reason. The reason is, this virus is somewhat like the flu; It has a bigger impact on those over 65, and or those with underlying health conditions. Its why Italy's mortality rate is so high; 23% of their population is over the age of 65. It has nothing to do with people bunkering down. Sure that slows the spread, and is needed. But its not why someone who is in their 30's, and healthy, is not impacted health wise.

I too have lost a lot of money. A ton. And will continue to do so. And no your parents, nor mine, are worth having that money back. That's not what I meant----But you knew that. Or so I hope. I am talking about impact far beyond the coming year or two---or 10. I am talking about the impact this could have on my kids....Their kids. The next 20-30 years. If this country remains shut down for another 2-3 months, it will have a devastating impact for many, many years to come.
THis virus is a war. Itsno different. As a nation we have sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives, for the sake of this country. Those instances were called WW1 and WW2.. Vietnam, Korean War and the Middle East. I served in the US Military for 5 years. I had zero issue with giving my life, and or putting my life in the line of danger, for the betterment of the 320 million people back home.

Sometimes my friend, freedom comes with a hefty price tag.

I just checked on this thread to see if people thought we would see sports return next year. Got more than I bargained for.

No, that is not the reason. The reason is, this virus is somewhat like the flu; It has a bigger impact on those over 65, and or those with underlying health conditions. Its why Italy's mortality rate is so high; 23% of their population is over the age of 65. It has nothing to do with people bunkering down. Sure that slows the spread, and is needed. But its not why someone who is in their 30's, and healthy, is not impacted health wise.

I too have lost a lot of money. A ton. And will continue to do so. And no your parents, nor mine, are worth having that money back. That's not what I meant----But you knew that. Or so I hope. I am talking about impact far beyond the coming year or two---or 10. I am talking about the impact this could have on my kids....Their kids. The next 20-30 years. If this country remains shut down for another 2-3 months, it will have a devastating impact for many, many years to come.
THis virus is a war. Itsno different. As a nation we have sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives, for the sake of this country. Those instances were called WW1 and WW2.. Vietnam, Korean War and the Middle East. I served in the US Military for 5 years. I had zero issue with giving my life, and or putting my life in the line of danger, for the betterment of the 320 million people back home.

Sometimes my friend, freedom comes with a hefty price tag.

No, it’s the isolation that is keeping everyone safe. This is the scenario that scares the crap out of the community health folks. If the virus goes uncheck, you consume the healthcare industry. Totally. Serious accidents, critical illnesses, poisoned children and so on go untreated. Deaths from causes unrelated to the virus skyrocket. This quarantine was called to preserve those resources. So far, it’s mostly working.

No, it’s the isolation that is keeping everyone safe. This is the scenario that scares the crap out of the community health folks. If the virus goes uncheck, you consume the healthcare industry. Totally. Serious accidents, critical illnesses, poisoned children and so on go untreated. Deaths from causes unrelated to the virus skyrocket. This quarantine was called to preserve those resources. So far, it’s mostly working.
Meh----Its a doubled-edge sword. I can agree to some extent. But those between the ages of, lets says 20-60, who are in good health, will feel nothing more than cold symptons. Nothing life threatening..I understand by not "checking" the virus, it could overrun the healthcare system. But, I mean 3 more months, or even less of remaining shut down, there ain't gonna be a healkth care system anyways.

I would not want to be the one, and or group, that has to make these/this decision. Its tough. Due your preserve life, or the economy and the liveihoods of this country? You cannot do both. So, I mean, which one becomes more important, as this continues to drag on?

Tough decisions to be made in the coming weeeks. I mean, you cannot do both: Protect lives and protect the economy. To protect lives, you have to shut the coutnry down; i.e. shutting down the economy. To protect the economy? Well, you have to sacrifice lives.

What do you do?

Meh----Its a doubled-edge sword. I can agree to some extent. But those between the ages of, lets says 20-60, who are in good health, will feel nothing more than cold symptons. Nothing life threatening..I understand by not "checking" the virus, it could overrun the healthcare system. But, I mean 3 more months, or even less of remaining shut down, there ain't gonna be a healkth care system anyways.

I would not want to be the one, and or group, that has to make these/this decision. Its tough. Due your preserve life, or the economy and the liveihoods of this country? You cannot do both. So, I mean, which one becomes more important, as this continues to drag on?

Tough decisions to be made in the coming weeeks. I mean, you cannot do both: Protect lives and protect the economy. To protect lives, you have to shut the coutnry down; i.e. shutting down the economy. To protect the economy? Well, you have to sacrifice lives.

What do you do?

at the start of march we had just a handful of cases and just 1 death. a month later we have +300k cases and over 10k deaths. there is no vaccine. "going back to normal" and letting this virus spread unchecked will result in unimaginable number dead. there is no functioning economy with that many people sick regardless of what age bracket they are in.

the decision isnt that hard.

What do you do?

Let me paint a more graphic picture. Car wreck. Your chest is crushed. You need to be intubated to breathe. No vents. All on corona virus patients. You die. Or your poisoned child. Or your pregnant wife. The virus having consumed the available medical infrastructure.

Let me paint a more graphic picture. Car wreck. Your chest is crushed. You need to be intubated to breathe. No vents. All on corona virus patients. You die. Or your poisoned child. Or your pregnant wife. The virus having consumed the available medical infrastructure.

it doesnt even need to be that significant of an event. all elective surgeries are cancelled. that gallbladder you need removed. that is a basic procedure. not happening. a leaky valve in your heart that can be fixed with open heart surgery. nope.

As much as I love college basketball, I’m not even worried about that at this point.

It’s amazing how many people STILL have not wrapped their heads around the severity of what’s happening.

it doesnt even need to be that significant of an event. all elective surgeries are cancelled. that gallbladder you need removed. that is a basic procedure. not happening. a leaky valve in your heart that can be fixed with open heart surgery. nope.

Agreed. I just needed something intense for that guy. Folks think it’s the deaths that are the problem. That’s not it. It’s the scale. In an unresistant population is massive.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
at the start of march we had just a handful of cases and just 1 death. a month later we have +300k cases and over 10k deaths. there is no vaccine. "going back to normal" and letting this virus spread unchecked will result in unimaginable number dead. there is no functioning economy with that many people sick regardless of what age bracket they are in.

the decision isnt that hard.

This covers the situation well. It is staggering how fast we went from barely any cases to over 300,000, from just one to over 10,000 dead ...basically in just over one month ..ONE month. This thing is insanely contagious.

Its impact on the football season is the last thing we should be fretting about right now. Looks like the coming weeks will be the some of the scariest our country's faced in a long ass time.

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat
Let me paint a more graphic picture .....No jobs, no money....People cannot feed their families. Companies are failing...Suicides...Hunger. Poverty...An abundance of it. Not to mention, wit no jobs means no insurance. Which means people cannot see doctors. People then flood the ER's b/c of this.

Which scenario has more long term impact?

Thats my point, brother. Neither option is good. But which is less? A dead country---Or a few hundred thousand deaths?

Let me paint a more graphic picture .....No jobs, no money....People cannot feed their families. Companies are failing...Suicides...Hunger. Poverty...An abundance of it. Not to mention, wit no jobs means no insurance. Which means people cannot see doctors. People then flood the ER's b/c of this.

Thats my point, brother. Neither option is good. But which is less? A dead country---Or a few hundred thousand deaths?

there is a reason why 10 million people filed for unemployment the past two weeks as well as congress extending it and putting more into. folks are just going to have to suck it up, do more with less and let govt help them. i realize that will be difficult for some since they feel its the reason why their life sucks to begin with.

the scenario you are painting is extreme and would take many many months if not years. by the end of april we will likely have 100k deaths because of this virus. 100k are not going to commit suicide this month because they cant eat their 4th meal of the day or watch basketball.

Reactions: onearmedjesus

I’ve seen no data pointing to cataclysmic collapse of the world economy. I’m expecting a recession about the magnitude of the 2008 recession. You can wring your hands like a worried old woman but those are the people that get their hats handed to them in the market.

Frankly, you just need to chill. Histrionics like you are spewing are worse than anything. You get enough idiots wailing doom and gloom, you’ll see doom and gloom that the virus had nothing to do with. This is a pandemic. It WILL happen again. Maybe next month. Maybe next century. If you are so risk averse that you can’t tolerate some uncertainty, find a different line of work. For myself, I’m a bit more concerned about the investment opportunities during recovery. Assuming I live through it, I want to make money off this comeback.

there is a reason why 10 million people filed for unemployment the past two weeks as well as congress extending it and putting more into. folks are just going to have to suck it up, do more with less and let govt help them. i realize that will be difficult for some since they feel its the reason why their life sucks to begin with.

the scenario you are painting is extreme and would take many many months if not years. by the end of april we will likely have 100k deaths because of this virus. 100k are not going to commit suicide this month because they cant eat their 4th meal of the day or watch basketball.
No, no it would not. And no, its not extreme. MOF, its happening RIGHT now. Look it has nothing to do with folks "sucking it up". It has to do with, that when this is all said and done, that a large, VERY large portion of those that are unemployed---Will stay unemployed. Or, will have to settle for lesser paying jobs.

Your response is very 15 year-old like. "people won't commit suicide b/c they cant watch basketball, or eat their 4th meal"? Where in the **** did I insinuate anything close to that. I am talking abut people who lose their abilities to house, clothe and feed their families. Thousands upon thousands of small business, going under, i.e. small roofing comapnies, construction companies, stores, thrift shops, mechanic shops, painters, lawn care, landscaping companies.... And on and on and on...

This country stays shut down for another 2+ months, its going to be really bad.

Also, 100K by the end of April? YOu think 91, 000 people are gonna die in the next 3 weeks? Ok.

I’ve seen no data pointing to cataclysmic collapse of the world economy. I’m expecting a recession about the magnitude of the 2008 recession. You can wring your hands like a worried old woman but those are the people that get their hats handed to them in the market.

Frankly, you just need to chill. Histrionics like you are spewing are worse than anything. You get enough idiots wailing doom and gloom, you’ll see doom and gloom that the virus had nothing to do with. This is a pandemic. It WILL happen again. Maybe next month. Maybe next century. If you are so risk averse that you can’t tolerate some uncertainty, find a different line of work. For myself, I’m a bit more concerned about the investment opportunities during recovery. Assuming I live through it, I want to make money off this comeback.
I think this actually is a realistic thought process. I've worked in the financial services industry and been a part of recessions and wild swings in the market. Fundamentally, the economy is on solid footing. There are opportunities out there. We will endure another rough month or so in terms of the market, but there's nothing long-term that suggests the US economy and market will not continue to thrive.

If a pandemic can destroy an economy, then the economy wasn't able to withstand crisis. I believe we will persevere as we always have.

Not a dumb question. We know so little, but we can speculate (especially when stuck at home). I say that, if we do, seasons are shortened and do not begin until December (or perhaps start in May and end in August 2021). May or may not have fans, but probably not if this thing is of the seasonal variety.
Start in May? After school is out and NBE draft has been held and NFL training camps start before the end of the season? I don't see that happening

Ummm, Ok? It ain't about me. I am fine. The company we have is considered essential. I also officiate college basketball, and baseball---HS as well. I will take a nice hit there. But again, its not about what I could lose, will lose, etc, etc...Its about what others will lose, can lose, and probably will lose. Huge companies will survive....Large companies will survive. But its the small companies that will be devastated. That is millions w/jobs. Without the ability to pay bills, clothe their kids, feed their kids, etc, etc...A lot of people, which you seem to fall into this category, are focused on the BIG companies...They'll survive. You are seemingly forgetting the impact that small business' have to this country. Lose those jobs/companies, and suddenly the job market becomes watered down and flooded. Thats not a good thing. There simply isn't wnough jobs.

A continued shut down of this country will produce catastrophic , financial loss, that will take years to recover from.

But hey, if you can lose 6 figures, and seemingly not bat an eye, I doubt any of this means very much to you anyways..

I think this actually is a realistic thought process. I've worked in the financial services industry and been a part of recessions and wild swings in the market. Fundamentally, the economy is on solid footing. There are opportunities out there. We will endure another rough month or so in terms of the market, but there's nothing long-term that suggests the US economy and market will not continue to thrive.

If a pandemic can destroy an economy, then the economy wasn't able to withstand crisis. I believe we will persevere as we always have.
On what precedence are you basing this on? We have never witnessed a pandemic such as this, in any of our lifetimes. I mean can you give me an example where the US shut down the country as it has, for months....?

If you are so risk averse that you can’t tolerate some uncertainty, find a different line of work. For myself, I’m a bit more concerned about the investment opportunities during recovery. Assuming I live through it, I want to make money off this comeback.
I mean, damn dude...You realize how callus that sounds? Also, you are telling me if I cannot tolerate some uncertainty, then find a different line of work----Then turn around and tell you are worried about investment opportunities during the recovery? Maybe its you that needs a different line of work? I ain't worried about me. My finances will be just fine. We could go three months with complete shut down, before shit got tight. But like I said, this worry of mine isn't about me. Its about this country, and the millions who cannot afford this shutdown.

Also, 100K by the end of April? YOu think 91, 000 people are gonna die in the next 3 weeks? Ok.

When we had our first death in early March did you think for a second that number would topping 10,000 in just over one month? Because that is what has happened.

His 100K statement is not outlandish in light of what we've seen this past month and how remarkably easily this virus spreads.

statistically deaths from so called wuhan junk virus are insignificant. Akin to a bad flu season. With a dem president it would not be a story other than yeah this is unfortunate but isn't Obama wonderful

You are too stupid to continue to discuss this with ..and that goes for all three of the user names you've posting under here.

When we had our first death in early March did you think for a second that number would topping 10,000 in just over one month? Because that is what has happened.

His 100K statement is not outlandish in light of what we've seen this past month and how remarkably easily this virus spreads.
TBH, I didn't know what to expect...BUT....since March 1, there have been close to 10, 000 deaths. SO again I am asking---You expect 90, 000 to die in the next 20 days or so?

TBH, I didn't know what to expect...BUT....since March 1, there have been close to 10, 000 deaths. SO again I am asking---You expect 90, 000 to die in the next 20 days or so?

I don't know what to expect. I'm not the one who made the statement. But I will say that it did not strike me as an outlandish prediction in light of what we've already seen.

Experts expected job losses to be around 100, 000-----Its currently at 701, 000. Unemployment in March went from .09%, to 4.4%. We still have April and probably May to go. Where you think those numbers will be in a month, with the country continuing to be locked down?

Again, can you give an example where the US has shut down as it has..has seen 700, 000 jobs be lost. In a liitle over a month or so... And recovered? You cannot, b/c it has never happened. And scary thing is---It ain't close to ending. Millions will lose jobs...Thousands of business will close.

I sure hope you are right...

its math...put in whatever morality rate you want. this is how this thing is spreading.
0 to 100,000 cases: 66 days
100,000 to 200,000 cases: 5 days
200,000 to 300,000 cases: 3 days

I don't know what to expect. I'm not the one who made the statement. But I will say that it did not strike me as an outlandish prediction in light of what we've already seen.
I found it as outlandish b/c the numbers do not support such an increase in deaths...Roughly 10, 000 people have lost their life to this, since Jan 19; first reported case. So in about 2 1/2months, 10K have died. Even with the peak coming, I just don't see where one could get 90,000 dying in 20+ days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT