Do we have college sports next season?

• Yes, with fans

Votes: 50 36.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 59 43.1%
  • Yes with no fans

Votes: 28 20.4%

• Total voters
Let me paint a more graphic picture .....No jobs, no money....People cannot feed their families. Companies are failing...Suicides...Hunger. Poverty...An abundance of it. Not to mention, wit no jobs means no insurance. Which means people cannot see doctors. People then flood the ER's b/c of this.

Which scenario has more long term impact?

Thats my point, brother. Neither option is good. But which is less? A dead country---Or a few hundred thousand deaths?

This is far and away my biggest concern now. What the hell do you do if you have an emergency?

Tacking on to economic woes and what will come of those losing everything over the next few months is far more terrorizing than this virus.

Let me put it this way....with the virus you, me, our neighbors and relatives can all limit their exposure by our actions. Now can we stay inside 100% of the time? No. But we can choose to go out only when necessary? Yes.

The impacts of the economy, jobs, drugs, alcohol, mental health, prisoners being released from jails, emergencies, etc....all out of our control.

Last edited:
its math...put in whatever morality rate you want. this is how this thing is spreading.
0 to 100,000 cases: 66 days
100,000 to 200,000 cases: 5 days
200,000 to 300,000 cases: 3 days
Spreading, vs dying, is two totally different things. I get it.....the more infected, the more that COULD die.

no...more WILL die. you dont seem to grasp that for whatever reason.
Huh? Of course more will die. Where did I say they wouldn't? I just don't think 90,000+ ore will die between now, and the end of April. Today is April 5th....25 days left in the month. 10,000 have dies since March 1st---Thats roughly 36 days. Yet you think 90.000, or 9 times more, are gonna die in the next 25 days? Roughly 5, 000 a day?

I don't agree. And Lord help us if you are right.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
I mean, damn dude...You realize how callus that sounds? Also, you are telling me if I cannot tolerate some uncertainty, then find a different line of work----Then turn around and tell you are worried about investment opportunities during the recovery? Maybe its you that needs a different line of work? I ain't worried about me. My finances will be just fine. We could go three months with complete shut down, before shit got tight. But like I said, this worry of mine isn't about me. Its about this country, and the millions who cannot afford this shutdown.

Life is a bitch, then you die. The United States is not yet completely over run with pussies. Dry up and get on with it.

10 million on unemployment right now. Millions of SMB's are not too far behind.

No one is arguing how serious COVID is. I am mortified for my parents. I'm mortified for those with autoimmune issues. I realize it can also kill the healthy and young.

The lasting consequences of a hapless life for the millions on unemployment and the effect this will have may be worse than the virus itself....because it can lead to poverty and death unlike we have seen since the Great Depression....7 million died due to starvation and poverty...7 million.

Life is a bitch, then you die. The United States is not yet completely over run with pussies. Dry up and get on with it.
You seem to be the kind that would test positive, yet continue to go out in public. It has nothing to do with being a puss. I assure you the 240 guys in my company, and the 60 or so in my platoon, that served in the Middle East, would attest I am no puss. But that is irrelevant.

This coronavirus has basically made me wave the white flag in terms of debating any issue with anyone. I had to block my only sibling’s phone number because they became so belligerent towards me, because “millions upon millions are going to die in 2020.” All because I think the answer to this thing lies somewhere in between living like Chicken Little and storming Normandy Beach. (My initial response was “this is the dumbest thing ever” but I’ve changed my mind after talking to medical professionals in my own family)

This thread proves how divided we are. We let our political affiliation determine our response to coronavirus, and we call each other names like a bunch of third graders. Name-calling basically says you are too lazy to prove your point. Or can’t control your anger.

I long for the days where grown adults can disagree on something but then go have a beer afterwards. We’ve got a long way to go if we ever want to get back to that point.

Sadly, I don't think we get back to that point. Just look at where manners are today compared to yesteryear.

Reactions: TheUsurperRobbStark
You seem to be the kind that would test positive, yet continue to go out in public. It has nothing to do with being a puss. I assure you the 240 guys in my company, and the 60 or so in my platoon, that served in the Middle East, would attest I am no puss. But that is irrelevant.

You sure whine like one. Such a cry baby.

Thanks for your service, and just a heads up the guy you’re going back and forth with is a huge douchebag and you’d be better off talking to a brick wall.

10 million on unemployment right now. Millions of SMB's are not too far behind.

No one is arguing how serious COVID is. I am mortified for my parents. I'm mortified for those with autoimmune issues. I realize it can also kill the healthy and young.

The lasting consequences of a hapless life for the millions on unemployment and the effect this will have may be worse than the virus itself....because it can lead to poverty and death unlike we have seen since the Great Depression....7 million died due to starvation and poverty...7 million.
This is what is being lost. The economical consequences could greatly outweigh they impact of the virus. I am mortified as well for my mother. She is almost 70. On axygen. This virus would kill her, No doubt. My wife has asthma...Scares the shit out of me everytime she leaves the house. As you said, it can also kill the young, and the healthy. THis virus is serious, and deserves its due attention.

BUT....at what price? As you stated, 7.7 million starved to death during the depression....That is a mid-boggling number. Not to mention the amount of homicides during that time; 9.7 per 100, 000 people...Or the suicide rate; 40, 000 people took their life. That is insane.

Not to mention you had thousands apply for job openings of 25:

greatdepress_banner.jpg

7,000 people in the photo above were applying for 25 jobs at a Naval post.

You think it can't lead to this? Yeah, just like I bet most never thought we'd see a pandemic as the one we are seeing now.

You sure whine like one. Such a cry baby.
Sure there Mr, "I lost 6 figures". You don't see me whining about how much money I've lost, or will lose". Unlike you, my concern isn't for me...It is for others. Others who don't have the luxury that you or I have. Here you are whining about maybe not being able to make money, if/when the economy recovers. I mean, that is probably one of the most selfish things I have ever heard. But again, I ain't surprised.

You calling me a whiner is rich, brother.

Sure there Mr, "I lost 6 figures". You don't see me whining about how much money I've lost, or will lose". Unlike you, my concern isn't for me...It is for others. Others who don't have the luxury that you or I have. Here you are whining about maybe not being able to make money, if/when the economy recovers. I mean, that is probably one of the most selfish things I have ever heard. But again, I ain't surprised.

You calling me a whiner is rich, brother.

I said it happened. Happened before. Made it all back just fine. Quote out of context much? Point is this is all going to be ok unless the crybabies drown us all.

This is what is being lost. The economical consequences could greatly outweigh they impact of the virus. I am mortified as well for my mother. She is almost 70. On axygen. This virus would kill her, No doubt. My wife has asthma...Scares the shit out of me everytime she leaves the house. As you said, it can also kill the young, and the healthy. THis virus is serious, and deserves its due attention.

BUT....at what price? As you stated, 7.7 million starved to death during the depression....That is a mid-boggling number. Not to mention the amount of homicides during that time; 9.7 per 100, 000 people...Or the suicide rate; 40, 000 people took their life. That is insane.

greatdepress_banner.jpg

You think it can't lead to this? Yeah, just like I bet most never thought we'd see a pandemic as the one we are seeing now.

you are debating people looking for work vs people dying. let me ask it this way....how much death will it take to change your mind and that things should be shut down? what number?

Thanks for your service, and just a heads up the guy you’re going back and forth with is a huge douchebag and you’d be better off talking to a brick wall.
I got that from the , "I lost 6 figures comment". And he has further cemented that thought with each and every post.

Its a very sad time in this country. I hate it that thousands will die from this virus. Sickening. I hate it more though to think of the thousands that will die b/c of the virus, i.e. lost jobs, drug/alcohol addictions,that could lead to suicides...Depression that could lead to suicides, or crimes where people lose their lives, or freedom.

The economical impact could just as deadly as the virus itself.

I said it happened. Happened before. Made it all back just fine. Quote out of context much? Point is this is all going to be ok unless the crybabies drown us all.
You do realize the only reason there are unaffected people is that they are living foxholes. I’ve lost well into 6 figures on this already. I expect to lose more. I would not ask the life of your parents or your grandparents to get it back.

This is always a risk. Pandemics are a freaking nightmare. Man up.

You sure about that?

greatdepress_banner.jpg

Your posts here have been good. They actually present a thoughtful counter-argument, unlike those of that other dimwit here backing your side of this debate.

But I'm still not sure precisely what it is you're advocating for here. What exactly do you think we should now do? Do you think we should just open everything back up and let the chips fall where they may ..allowing the the virus to spread wildly out of control with perhaps millions dying and our health care system being utterly crushed from overburden ...purely for the sake of the economy?

I don't know what the best answer is either, but I don't think it's that.

Last edited:
Your posts here have been good. They actually present a thoughtful counter-argument, unlike those of that other dimwit here backing your side of this debate.

But I'm still not sure precisely what it is you're advocating for here. What exactly do you think we should now do? Do you think we should just open everything back up and let the chips fall where they may ..allowing the the virus to spread wildly out of control with perhaps millions dying and our health care system being utterly crushed from overburden ...simply for the sake of the economy?

I don't know what the best answer is either, but I don't think it's that.
Not so sure opening things back up to norm is the thing to do. Not right now. But I do think its something that has to happen---ANd soon. I'd say after the peak, start to slowly open things back up. Keeping the country shut down for another two months, as what is being reported, would be devastating. Now, speaking of the "sake of the economy"...I mean its what makes the clock tick. Without a strong economy,we are simply Central America. Just with a lot more people. The Great Depression could happen. It would be foolish to think it cannot. And IMO, I think an economical disaster such as that, would be 100x's worse now, than it was in 1929.

TBH,I don't what the answer is. It does sound morbid to "allow" the possible deaths of millions. But, then again, it seems morbid to allow the possible collapse of the worlds strongest economy, thus possibly leading to mass suicides, business losses, possible addistion(alcohol/drugs), due to the losses of homes, jobs, etc, etc...Not to mention the number of those who could die from starvation, lack of medical treatments, etc, etc...Homicides as well. I mean, is there relly a right answer?

Reactions: UK90
Yup. That was in response to some guy crying about his problems. I lost plenty but not enough that I would risk his family.

Quote out of context much? Again?
Exactly what did , or did I,. quote out of context? You said you had lost 6 figures due to this...I responed to a guy that called you an ass----And I agreed, saying---"I got that from when he stated he had lost 6 figures".

Exactly how was that out of context? You said it, right?

you are debating people looking for work vs people dying. let me ask it this way....how much death will it take to change your mind and that things should be shut down? what number?
Is that what you think I am debating? it is not. I am debating that the shutdown of the country, could be far worse than the virus itself. And it could be. The longing effects of shutting down the country, could and probably would, lead to more problems, and possibly deaths, than that of the virus. Millions upon millions would suffer. This country would see poverty and starvation,as it has never seen. Suicides...Homicides would be insanely high. Then we get into drug/alcohol addictions rising---compounding the already existing issues of drug and alcohol issues. Jails would become even more over populated...People w/o work, who have worked hard their entire lives, supporting their families, suddenly become desperate parents....What do you think that leads to?

I find it amazing that some of you think this about jobs vs life. Or money vs life. its not even close to that. Look, a Great Depression may not happen. Who knows. But 2 months ago, did you ever think this country would be brought to its knees, by a virus? That there would be no NCAAT, MLB,NBA, Hockey? No nothing. I know I didn't. So to dismiss the possibility of what I stated above would be reckless.

Exactly what did , or did I,. quote out of context? You said you had lost 6 figures due to this...I responed to a guy that called you an ass----And I agreed, saying---"I got that from when he stated he had lost 6 figures".

Exactly how was that out of context? You said it, right?
Yes, to say my money wasn’t worth his families lives, as I CLEARLY stated. No whining. No doomsday. No sky is falling. We’re doing what MUST be done. The economy will see to itself.

Yes, to say my money wasn’t worth his families lives, as I CLEARLY stated. No whining. No doomsday. No sky is falling. We’re doing what MUST be done. The economy will see to itself.
I guess,brother. I don't think you know WTF you are talking about with this,"quoting out of context" tirade...But,sure----OK.

How are you so sure the economy will see to itself? Economist felt at most, that 100.000 would lose their jobs. So far, that number is at 700, 000 plus...This is unchartered waters my man. As a country, we have never seen anything like this. So how the fcuk do you know the economy will be just fine? Look at the bold: 100, 000 jobs loses expected---Those "experts" were off by 600,000. But you don't think those same experts could be wrong(about the economy)?

Ok...

Is that what you think I am debating? it is not. I am debating that the shutdown of the country, could be far worse than the virus itself. And it could be. The longing effects of shutting down the country, could and probably would, lead to more problems, and possibly deaths, than that of the virus. Millions upon millions would suffer. This country would see poverty and starvation,as it has never seen. Suicides...Homicides would be insanely high. Then we get into drug/alcohol addictions rising---compounding the already existing issues of drug and alcohol issues. Jails would become even more over populated...People w/o work, who have worked hard their entire lives, supporting their families, suddenly become desperate parents....What do you think that leads to?

I find it amazing that some of you think this about jobs vs life. Or money vs life. its not even close to that. Look, a Great Depression may not happen. Who knows. But 2 months ago, did you ever think this country would be brought to its knees, by a virus? That there would be no NCAAT, MLB,NBA, Hockey? No nothing. I know I didn't. So to dismiss the possibility of what I stated above would be reckless.

the great depression lasted 10 years. the stay at home order will likely be in place until a vaccine which would be until the end of the year....6-7 months. unemployment benefits last 26 weeks and federal officials are looking too make it stronger. congress will continue to pass legislation to help people out. it will be hard and different but if people turn to drugs, alcohol, murder, and suicide in that time well....idk what to say. to think you'll walk down the street a year from now and never see a restaurant or business open is foolish.

the great depression lasted 10 years. the stay at home order will likely be in place until a vaccine which would be until the end of the year....6-7 months. unemployment benefits last 26 weeks and federal officials are looking too make it stronger. congress will continue to pass legislation to help people out. it will be hard and different but if people turn to drugs, alcohol, murder, and suicide in that time well....idk what to say. to think you'll walk down the street a year from now and never see a restaurant or business open is foolish.
Why do you think unemployment is the answer? Unemployment pay isn't even close to paying what some make; even with gov't help. Plus, what about the thousands of business owners who lose their hardware store, their roofing busness, contstruction business, lawn care, landscaping, small mom and pop restaurants, etc,etc....Millions upon millions will lose jobs, business, etc, etc...You think $600 or so a week, for 26 weeks, is the answer? C'mon,now. THings being "hard and different" is an injustice to what it will be like.

Plus, some of you need to quit with the dramatization antics,just to make a point---I never said,nor insinuated that a year from now, we wouldn't see a restaurant or a business open. Hell, they are open now. But,if we remain as we are,for 6-7months? Yikes. I mean, a big yikes.

I guess,brother. I don't think you know WTF you are talking about with this,"quoting out of context" tirade...But,sure----OK.

How are you so sure the economy will see to itself? Economist felt at most, that 100.000 would lose their jobs. So far, that number is at 700, 000 plus...This is unchartered waters my man. As a country, we have never seen anything like this. So how the fcuk do you know the economy will be just fine? Look at the bold: 100, 000 jobs loses expected---Those "experts" were off by 600,000. But you don't think those same experts could be wrong(about the economy)?

Ok...

Doom and gloom agony on me, deep dark depression, excessive misery.

Somebody somewhere is always predicting the end of the world.

Why do you think unemployment is the answer? Unemployment pay isn't even close to paying what some make; even with gov't help. Plus, what about the thousands of business owners who lose their hardware store, their roofing busness, contstruction business, lawn care, landscaping, small mom and pop restaurants, etc,etc....Millions upon millions will lose jobs, business, etc, etc...You think $600 or so a week, for 26 weeks, is the answer? C'mon,now. THings being "hard and different" is an injustice to what it will be like.

Plus, some of you need to quit with the dramatization antics,just to make a point---I never said,nor insinuated that a year from now, we wouldn't see a restaurant or a business open. Hell, they are open now. But,if we remain as we are,for 6-7months? Yikes. I mean, a big yikes.

you mean like suggesting massive rioting, starvation, drug abuse, and murder....+60% of a paycheck isnt the end of the world. and if people in small businesses didnt sock away sufficient savings for 6 months, i dont know what to tell you. banks have money to lend out. ultimately that is what matters.

you mean like suggesting massive rioting, starvation, drug abuse, and murder....+60% of a paycheck isnt the end of the world. and if people in small businesses didnt sock away sufficient savings for 6 months, i dont know what to tell you. banks have money to lend out. ultimately that is what matters.
You mean like suggesting 90,000 people will die in the next 3 weeks?

What do you mean if people in small business did sock away sufficient funds, for 6 months? I mean, really? You think folks think there is a scenario where they will completely closed for 6 months? Shit, my boss is one of the smartest, money guru's I have ever met. We have 10 employee's...He told us, "We could last for 3 months closed. No money coming in." After that, shit would get dicey. Big business, sure. A small mom and pop diner? C'mon,dude.

Sure banks have money NOW. Lets see where that is 3-4 months from now. When no one is buying homes, cars, etc, etc...When the stock market is all but destroyed.

Banks are the answer....;)

If the stay at home order lasts anywhere close to the end of the year, much less past May or June, this country is finished as we know it. Fake information, fake news, & idiot politicians have created a self-induced economic depression.

You mean like suggesting 90,000 people will die in the next 3 weeks?

What do you mean if people in small business did sock away sufficient funds, for 6 months? I mean, really? You think folks think there is a scenario where they will completely closed for 6 months? Shit, my boss is one of the smartest, money guru's I have ever met. We have 10 employee's...He told us, "We could last for 3 months closed. No money coming in." After that, shit would get dicey. Big business, sure. A small mom and pop diner? C'mon,dude.

Sure banks have money NOW. Lets see where that is 3-4 months from now. When no one is buying homes, cars, etc, etc...When the stock market is all but destroyed.

Banks are the answer....;)

i cant teach you math

says the guy with hair on fire over the economy
Says the guy with hair on fire over the virus. I mean, you are coming to a conclusion on the virus, and its possible impact, the same way I am with the economy:

Projections, charts and models...

You see how the disease has spread...Death tolls, etc, etc...You then come up with an equation, then a summary...Then a conclusion. Same thing with the economy...I see where EXPERTS felt 100,000 jobs would be lost. Only to see they were slightly off by about 600,000. Same experts felt unemployment rates would slightly rise. Yet it went from ,09%, to 4.4%---in one month. A few million were expected to appy for benefits....That number has now exceeded 10, 000, 000....

10 Million....Thats more than the populations of Rhode Island, Maine, Vermont, Mass and New Hampshire, combined...

So you see, I am coming to my conclusion, and the impact this could have the economy, the same way you are coming to your opinion with the virus.

Yet mine is outlandish, and ridiculous...Yet yours is plausible?

Okie, doke...

i cant teach you math
Why? Not sure if it was you,or someone else, who projected 100, 000 deaths by the end of April...But sure, what ya got? Here is what i got...

First death was reported I believe on March 1st.. That is 37 days. So in 37 days, there have been roughly 10, 000 deaths. There are 25 days left in April.....So you think there will be 90, 000 more deaths, in 25 days? Even though there has "only" been 10,000 in the past 37?

Now before you show me a chart on how the virus is spreading, please keep in mind that is different. Sure more will die. And as the spread becomes more rampant, even more will die.

But please teach me the math you apparently know, that projects 90,000 more deaths in the next 25 days; roughly 3, 800 plus deaths a day.

Appreciate it.

Says the guy with hair on fire over the virus. I mean, you are coming to a conclusion on the virus, and its possible impact, the same way I am with the economy:

Projections, charts and models...

You see how the disease has spread...Death tolls, etc, etc...You then come up with an equation, then a summary...Then a conclusion. Same thing with the economy...I see where EXPERTS felt 100,000 jobs would be lost. Only to see they were slightly off by about 600,000. Same experts felt unemployment rates would slightly rise. Yet it went from ,09%, to 4.4%---in one month. A few million were expected to appy for benefits....That number has now exceeded 10, 000, 000....

10 Million....Thats more than the populations of Rhode Island, Maine, Vermont, Mass and New Hampshire, combined...

So you see, I am coming to my conclusion, and the impact this could have the economy, the same way you are coming to your opinion with the virus.

Yet mine is outlandish, and ridiculous...Yet yours is plausible?

Okie, doke...

yup. Welcome to statistics 101. I have a rather nice background in microeconomics as well. There is no data to substantiate a catastrophic economic event. You really should stay away from junk science on the news.

There's no reason to think football won't be played--other than the NCAA is terrified of a lawsuit like everyone else.

if you're not gonna play football you might as well cancel Christmas, cancel next March madness, cancel all sports entertainment and concerts for life and just move to freakin Thailand
Check every forehead for a temperature on the way in. Sit in every other seat. Do whatever it takes!

yup. Welcome to statistics 101. I have a rather nice background in microeconomics as well. There is no data to substantiate a catastrophic economic event. You really should stay away from junk science on the news.
Junk science? Ok....I don't need "jumk science" to form a rather decent synopsis....You say there is NO data to substantiate a catastrophic, economic event....Really? It doesn't concern you a bit THAT...

1. Projected job losses were at 100,000----Yet now they are over 700,000?

2. Unemployment rates went from .09%, to 4.4%---in 3 weeks?

3. Small business are dying: AligNable, a networking site, that list over 4 million small business's as members, reported that over 80% are in danger of closing. THINK about that.

4. As of now, according to Fortune, there are roughly 17 million unemployed...Well above the Great Recessions peak of 14 million..

5. Unemployment rate is at 4.4%---It is expected to reach double digits.

6. Some economist have predicted the unemployment rate could reach as high as 23%. For comparison, unemployment rate during the Great Depression was 24.4%.

To me, well thats alarming...And...

# 4 is very alarming....We are seeing numbers eclipse that of the Great Recession---At its PEAK. The peak for COVID has yet to come.

As is #6.....

Yet to you, there is no evidence of a possible catastrophic, economic event?

Okie, doke...Maybe thats why you have lost 6 figures, huh?

Junk science? Ok....I don't need "jumk science" to form a rather decent synopsis....You say there is NO data to substantiate a catastrophic, economic event....Really? It doesn't concern you a bit THAT...

1. Projected job losses were at 100,000----Yet now they are over 700,000?

2. Unemployment rates went from .09%, to 4.4%---in 3 weeks?

3. Small business are dying: AligNable, a networking site, that list over 4 million small business's as members, reported that over 80% are in danger of closing. THINK about that.

4. As of now, according to Fortune, there are roughly 17 million unemployed...Well above the Great Recessions peak of 14 million..

5. Unemployment rate is at 4.4%---It is expected to reach double digits.

6. Some economist have predicted the unemployment rate could reach as high as 23%. For comparison, unemployment rate during the Great Depression was 24.4%.

To me, well thats alarming...And...

# 4 is very alarming....We are seeing numbers eclipse that of the Great Recession---At its PEAK. The peak for COVID has yet to come.

As is #6.....

Yet to you, there is no evidence of a possible catastrophic, economic event?

Okie, doke...Maybe thats why you have lost 6 figures, huh?

No. Just hysterical babbling from you. It’s laughable that you can’t see the difference in drivers of the two events. Nor can you fathom the impact of pouring 2 trillion dollars into an economy interrupted by a transient event.

Nods. The market ain’t for pansies.. perhaps you should stick with the comics.

Seriously dude, you are way overreacting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT