ADVERTISEMENT

Will Riley visiting in June

I have a feeling we're going to get 2 more players, which will be Robinson and Riley.
I hope your right. Like Robison better than Lanier. Riley this kids awesome. Does need to gain weight. But he's a two or three. Is he as strong as other freshman guards. Like Shep or Riley. That I don't know. I love he's game

I have a feeling we're going to get 2 more players, which will be Robinson and Riley.
I hope you’re right. I’ve had my heart set on this scenario for a while now. I wanted Lanier, but mostly just for the security of having one of those guys in hand. Robinson fills the most immediate need and Riley is a take any day of the week. He’s the kind of reclass freshmen, playing in a great role for a reclass, that you want to make a good team better. Not to be the man on day one. And if he turns out to be the man, then you’re better off for it. I think I saw a headline he was visiting Arkansas as well, but I didn’t read the article so idk the details. I also saw one that Poplar was still planning to visit UK as well. But I think Robinson is priority number one for us. Probably has been all along.

A reclassified Riley to UK to me is a bigger deal than Lanier to UK.
This kid might not even play next year if he comes to Kentucky. Physically he’s not ready yet. Lanier is a way better option if you’re just looking at next year. Riley could be a great option down the road. That is if he commits. And a big “if” if he sticks around for more than a year

Reactions: Butters' Dad
A reclassified Riley to UK to me is a bigger deal than Lanier to UK.
Very true. We have six talented seniors and two talented sophomores that will probably be the top eight and needs to be on the floor. Another senior like Lanier would demand more minutes than a freshman. With the top eight Pope can afford to play 4 freshman spot minutes getting them ready for next year but without having to put a lot of pressure on them their first year. And a guy like Riley would fit in well with the other three freshmen and would give us another great shooter/scorer next season with a season of experience under his belt.

Older than I was when I started college. But, I was an immature knucklehead.

I thought we no longer wanted reclass freshmen? Amazing how the goal post keep getting moved.
It’s okay to have a reclass, IF the majority of the rest of your roster are juniors/seniors. It’s when you have more than a handful of freshmen already (most playing big roles) and then add reclass freshmen on top of that. Therein lies the disconnect IMO. Also, this guy is a STUD!

Size, agility, shooting, IQ and being able to create his own shot, not a lot of guys like that at his age that is that good already.

It’s okay to have a reclass, IF the majority of the rest of your roster are juniors/seniors. It’s when you have more than a handful of freshmen already (most playing big roles) and then add reclass freshmen on top of that. Therein lies the disconnect IMO. Also, this guy is a STUD!
I agree, especially with the last line. This guy is not just a normal player, even for a 5 star. He'll be the closest thing to Luka that has played in college so far.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
How?
My son was born in 2006 and will be a college FR in the fall
My son was born in September 07 and because of Covid the Kentucky Athletic Association allowed students that play sports to repeat the same grade during the 21-22 school year as long as they don't turn 19 by a certain date their senior year. He repeated the 7th grade that year and just finished his freshman year of high school last week. Most of the athletes who qualified in our school system from his class on up took advantage of that.

So this kid is also visiting Oats and Calipari this summer, and we still expect to land him?

Pope's next elite recruit will be his first. Maybe we should temper expectations a bit on Riley coming here until Pope actually solidifies one of these elite guys.

I'm not saying he can't; I'm just saying let's wait and see.

We miss on the remaining portal guys (Robinson, Poplar, etc.), then I like our chances with Riley reclassing and joining the team this summer.

We need a potential go to guy and Riley might end up being our last chance for a wing scorer. I would prefer a portal guy, but that could be off the table soon.

So we could be looking like this next season:

G Butler/Kriisa
G Oweh/Chandler/Perry
G Riley/Brea/Noah
F Carr/Almonor
F Williams/Garrison

If Riley is go to guy material, then we could be a top level SEC team, but if not, Brea starts and we should be a solid team in that 4-7 range in the SEC.

Really hoping we get Robinson and/or Poplar and Riley stays ‘25.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
We miss on the remaining portal guys (Robinson, Poplar, etc.), then I like our chances with Riley reclassing and joining the team this summer.

We need a potential go to guy and Riley might end up being our last chance for a wing scorer. I would prefer a portal guy, but that could be off the table soon.

So we could be looking like this next season:

G Butler/Kriisa
G Oweh/Chandler/Perry
G Riley/Brea/Noah
F Carr/Almonor
F Williams/Garrison

If Riley is go to guy material, then we could be a top level SEC team, but if not, Brea starts and we should be a solid team in that 4-7 range in the SEC.

Really hoping we get Robinson and/or Poplar and Riley stays ‘25.
Can Pope beat out Oats or Calipari for this kid?

Six seniors and two very talented sophomores, will be at least a couple that could be starting and getting more minutes elsewhere. Not to mention three very talented frosh. Why I would go for a couple of young bloods. Would also prep next years team a little better with more experience back.

Six seniors and two very talented sophomores, will be at least a couple that could be starting and getting more minutes elsewhere. Not to mention three very talented frosh. Why I would go for a couple of young bloods. Would also prep next years team a little better with more experience back.
Good idea, but I suspect that Riley will be OAD.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Can Pope beat out Oats or Calipari for this kid?

It depends if he is re-classifying. Alabama has a loaded roster and Arkansas probably doesn't have room either, given Calipari's way of doling out PT.

Riley will probably have a season very similar to Jarin Stevenson, who re-classified to go to Alabama this year and averaged 5.3 PPG. If Stevenson is back for Bama, plus Wrightsell, Youngblood, Mallette, Reid, Philon, Cunningham (maybe Sears)...I don't see a fit.

I also don't see us as a fit if Robinson or Poplar commit here, but we have a relatively full roster without them too, for a freshman at least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT