ADVERTISEMENT

Will Levis' First Practice w/ Titans Highlights

He's got a good young wr in Treylon Burks the former Arkansas player. Westbrook-Ikihne seems decent enough but hasn't really broke out. I think he was an IU guy. They have a good young TE in Okonkwo.

He's got a good young wr in Treylon Burks the former Arkansas player. Westbrook-Ikihne seems decent enough but hasn't really broke out. I think he was an IU guy. They have a good young TE in Okonkwo.
I read an article from a Titans beat writer and he thought they had the worst WR room in the NFL. Other than Burks he didn’t think they had much. Stated they were looking for WR help through free agency or a trade.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Since he scored very high on their testing it's doubtful the "mental aspect" will give him problems.
Did you not watch UK football the last two years? The mental part is what screwed WL over most of the time.

Will has always been the stupid good physical traits guy, but needs developed more between the ears. It’s a valid criticism and if he fails that will 100% be the reason because physically you couldn’t ask for more .

Let him sit for a year and develop. Turn him into the starter next year and get him some WR help.
Levis did not always play well here, but he is more intelligent than some here are suggesting. I am of the opinion that Levis' development was hurt by Coen's departure, the Scangarello hire, a conference-high 44 sacks in 2022, and a foot injury that limited him. SEC football is not for the faint of heart. But Levis has the size, raw physical skills, and intangibles to be developed into an NFL QB. He didn't get the 1st round money he was expecting, but he is lucky to have landed in Nashville because it is a good situation for him. Getting drafted by the right team is very important. Just ask QBs who were not drafted into compatible systems. If Levis stays healthy, I think he has enough intelligence and a real chance to develop into an NFL starter over time. It depends on how the Titans prioritize him, and will be interesting to watch. I am cheering for this Wildcat.

Did you not watch UK football the last two years? The mental part is what screwed WL over most of the time.

Will has always been the stupid good physical traits guy, but needs developed more between the ears. It’s a valid criticism and if he fails that will 100% be the reason because physically you couldn’t ask for more .
He's a smart guy, he'll figure it out.

Comment section crushing him. Levis catching an inordinate amount of crap just for falling a little in the draft. He really doesn’t deserve the shots he’s taking over that. I hope he shuts everyone up.

When Levis started to really get Coens system the 2nd half of that season he looked pretty good between the ears to me. Last season was an outlier of sorts. He was running for his life and was injured most of the season. He's still learning how to be a QB in a ways because all he did pretty much was run at Penn St. When they gave him the rare opportunity to throw, he looked the part. There were Penn St fans wanting Levis over Clifford and plenty of them.

Please show me one college QB who got sacked 40 times in 11 games and still had an encouraging season. I accept the narrative that a few of the sacks were Levis' fault, but every QB gets sacked at times because he misreads the pass rush or the coverage. There were good reasons why Levis was more successful in 2021 than 2022. It is an established fact that Levis is intelligent. So if you are suggesting otherwise, that is wrong. Making quick decisions has not been an early strength in his career, but an arm like that can cover some mistaken reads. If Levis had two years with Coen, instead of 2022 with Scangarello, I believe that would have made a difference in his learning curve. Scangarello didn't do him any favors and Levis took a lot more hits because of Scangarello. When people bash him for skipping the MCB, they are missing that element of the decision. In any case, I assess Levis' NFL projectability based on 2021.

Please show me one college QB who got sacked 40 times in 11 games and still had an encouraging season. I accept the narrative that a few of the sacks were Levis' fault, but every QB gets sacked at times because he misreads the pass rush or the coverage. There were good reasons why Levis was more successful in 2021 than 2022. It is an established fact that Levis is intelligent. So if you are suggesting otherwise, that is wrong. Making quick decisions has not been an early strength in his career, but an arm like that can cover some mistaken reads. If Levis had two years with Coen, instead of 2022 with Scangarello, I believe that would have made a difference in his learning curve. Scangarello didn't do him any favors and Levis took a lot more hits because of Scangarello. When people bash him for skipping the MCB, they are missing that element of the decision. In any case, I assess Levis' NFL projectability based on 2021.

I would take Levis over just about any QB's taken in this years draft... To label him as not being inteligent is wrong and he will prove it when his time comes to start... That is my belief and I will stick to it, he is way better than a couple taken in front of him and I think it will play out that way...

GBB

I think some are rolling his intellect in with his football IQ. Two separate things. Even Vrable commented about his football IQ needing to take a step forward. Just because a play works doesn’t mean it was the correct play/read. Van Hiles pointed it out a bunch with Levis, he needs to and he will IMO get better at reading the defense and seeing where he likely has an advantage pre snap.

His roommate said he’s been buried in the playbook from the moment he got there. He’ll get it. Stoops commented a lot about his good work ethic, that’s half the battle.

Last edited:
Levis did not always play well here, but he is more intelligent than some here are suggesting. I am of the opinion that Levis' development was hurt by Coen's departure, the Scangarello hire, a conference-high 44 sacks in 2022, and a foot injury that limited him. SEC football is not for the faint of heart. But Levis has the size, raw physical skills, and intangibles to be developed into an NFL QB. He didn't get the 1st round money he was expecting, but he is lucky to have landed in Nashville because it is a good situation for him. Getting drafted by the right team is very important. Just ask QBs who were not drafted into compatible systems. If Levis stays healthy, I think he has enough intelligence and a real chance to develop into an NFL starter over time. It depends on how the Titans prioritize him, and will be interesting to watch. I am cheering for this Wildcat.
My comment had nothing to do with his intelligence. I just think it’s a good plan to have rookie QB’S sit and develop their first year. Especially when there’s a more than capable starter in place to learn from.

Im not saying the dude is a dumbass by any means.
If you know anything about the QB position at all it’s fair to say will missed a whole bunch of reads even the first year with Coen. That is what I’m talking about with improving the between the ears.
And I said you’ll not find a more physically gifted QB so…..
Listen I love Will he’s a great kid by all accounts and has a golden arm if he can dial in some of the other stuff he will be tough.

If you think WL is good at reads and such go watch any van hiles breakdown and see how many blatantly obvious wide open receivers he never seen especially in the Coen year.
Like I said I hope the kid is a hall of gamer, but he has some work to do. You guys act like I’m saying he’s trash

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
He's smart and committed and gamer, those things along with his athletic abiliity give him a lot of upside to improve IMO. I think he needs is time to get used to the speed of the game and learn how to move in and out of the pocket while still scouring the field. You cant be a statue in this league and cant just take off either, but have to be able to slide and scoot to buy time and he'll have to learn that some times the hard way.

Reactions: Girthang and sieken
The ease of throwing is amazing to watch. Flicks it 40 yards, no windup.
I can totally relate to that! I had a cannon when I played in high school. There were many times I would flick it 7-8 yds downfield on a rope! Don’t really like to toot my own horn, but Al Bundy had nothing on me!😁

Last edited:
Looks like his toe might be better. Hit some receivers in stride. Hope that all picks up and he continues to get better.

I hope! He's very intelligent but has to process it faster back there.
His biggest weakness in my opinion is seeing the rush and keeping his eyes downfield. He scrambled right into the rush Soo many times when he just needed to step up. That one trait is why I believe he fell so far in the draft. Bad news is I’ve heard scouts say you either have that or you don’t. Apparently that’s very difficult to teach.

His biggest weakness in my opinion is seeing the rush and keeping his eyes downfield. He scrambled right into the rush Soo many times when he just needed to step up. That one trait is why I believe he fell so far in the draft. Bad news is I’ve heard scouts say you either have that or you don’t. Apparently that’s very difficult to teach.
Prep, prep, and then a bunch more prep! He has all of the natural ability you could ask for. The highly successful ones that I have read about all have ability to process the siuation very fast, down and distance, who just just left for an injury/breather, what defensive alignment the other team is in. They just have a ton of info crammed in that noggin. I've read about Rodger's friends saying to hang out with him is like a constant game of Jeopardy, he's a peculiar dude for sure but he works at the fast processing ability.

Please show me one college QB who got sacked 40 times in 11 games and still had an encouraging season. I accept the narrative that a few of the sacks were Levis' fault,

He was responsible for at least 1/3 of those sacks. Maybe closer to 1/2. As another poster pointed out (and as I pointed out over the two years) his inability to get a presnap read was shocking and concerning. He was better at post snap reads in the secondary but not at recognizing a delayed or disguised blitz. The cherry on top was his repeated refusal to step up in the pocket.

Two crucial plays immediately come to mind:

1) the game losing strip sack vs ole miss. Wohl was beat at rt but recovered well enough to push his man upfield. All will has to do is even just hitch step and he has all day or even runs it in for the win. Nope he stands there right at the target point and gets stripped.

2) vandy in a crucial down and distance. Vandy walks up a db to the los clearly outnumbering us on the edge. Early too. Will scans the line. Snaps the ball, drops back, stares down field with no urgency and is predictably sacked. Iirc in that second half he completed two passes for 18 yards and one of those was a gimme at the very end.

I would add. The Titans average margin last year was 7.94, wins and losses, with two blowout losses skewing that margin. The games are too close to have very many negative plays, INTs or Sacks, missing open routes, it will likely cost you the game. I think that is what VRabel was alluding to, you have to make the correct play at a high percentage in that league.

He was responsible for at least 1/3 of those sacks. Maybe closer to 1/2. As another poster pointed out (and as I pointed out over the two years) his inability to get a presnap read was shocking and concerning. He was better at post snap reads in the secondary but not at recognizing a delayed or disguised blitz. The cherry on top was his repeated refusal to step up in the pocket.

Two crucial plays immediately come to mind:

1) the game losing strip sack vs ole miss. Wohl was beat at rt but recovered well enough to push his man upfield. All will has to do is even just hitch step and he has all day or even runs it in for the win. Nope he stands there right at the target point and gets stripped.

2) vandy in a crucial down and distance. Vandy walks up a db to the los clearly outnumbering us on the edge. Early too. Will scans the line. Snaps the ball, drops back, stares down field with no urgency and is predictably sacked. Iirc in that second half he completed two passes for 18 yards and one of those was a gimme at the very end.
Everything you said was dead on...Will basically single handidly lost the Ole Miss game IMO.

But here is the hard part for me. All those things...Will was pretty solid at them in 2021 under Coen. The last handful of games....he was actually nearly elite at QB in 2021. So the question is was Scang vs. Coen that much (and should Will be able to perform better regardless) and how much the Oline issues were part of 2021.

Hard questions and I have no qualms with teams struggling to draft Levis...with the exception why didn't Ar15 get even half the same criticism as he was markedly worse.

Everything you said was dead on...Will basically single handidly lost the Ole Miss game IMO.

But here is the hard part for me. All those things...Will was pretty solid at them in 2021 under Coen. The last handful of games....he was actually nearly elite at QB in 2021. So the question is was Scang vs. Coen that much (and should Will be able to perform better regardless) and how much the Oline issues were part of 2021.

Hard questions and I have no qualms with teams struggling to draft Levis...with the exception why didn't Ar15 get even half the same criticism as he was markedly worse.
Wasn’t the knock on Scang that he wouldn’t simplify and ran the offense too Pro Style? If Levi’s has trouble picking all this up. I would love to see AR15 in that room?…..?…?…ugh

It seemed to me that Scang's system, while most likely well-designed, emphasized downfield passing more than we were capable of producing with our porous OL. I'm not a film junkie, but some of the sacks Will took seemed like they were due to him having to wait for the route tree to develop 15 yards down the field. I was, however, a critic of Will at times when he'd stare down his primary receiver, wouldn't float in the pocket to buy time, wouldn't dump the ball off when under pressure, would miss the open guy while gunning it at a receiver who was covered. He wasn't perfect but combine his shortcomings with a questionable system and leaky OL and you get a QB who was beaten up throughout the season.

Will took seemed like they were due to him having to wait for the route tree to develop 15 yards down the field.

This was all because of will. Every concept we had ran levels. Will had guys open nearly every play even if it was short. He chose to force big plays instead of keeping chains moving. That also prevented guys from having the opportunity to break a tackle and make things happen.

Will's first year looked better for two reasons 1) he followed terry Wilson and 2) he locked in to wandale who was thankfully almost always able to get open.

Coen is better than scang and I doubt anyone argued otherwise. Last year's offensive shortcomings were nearly all execution based. I say nearly all because his communication and connection with players was lacking. Initially I was down on the hire but after watching the first game I was pleasantly surprised with what we were doing (other than a poor OL execution on twists). Let's not forget we beat Florida in the swamp and by all means should've beaten ole miss on the road. Thats a damn good start in any season

Reactions: mattrudd
I would take Levis over just about any QB's taken in this years draft... To label him as not being inteligent is wrong and he will prove it when his time comes to start... That is my belief and I will stick to it, he is way better than a couple taken in front of him and I think it will play out that way...

GBB
Some of our fans absolutely take no prisoners. Will had minimal protection, and played with several injuries. He made me proud and thankful to have had him on our team.

Sounds like Levis not off to the best start at Titans OTAs.

- Accuracy issues
- Poor decisions - throwing into double coverage
- Need to work on touch throws

I know he’s a rookie but you think he would have worked hard on the touch and accuracy in the off-season.

Hope he works to improve and can take the reins someday.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT