ADVERTISEMENT

Will 12 team playoff backfire as it has in baseball

All three of the best teams got beat the first weekend . The MLB season means nothing . All in the name of greedy attempts to maximize profits .
Will the same thing happen in college football rendering the season meaningless.

12 is too many. 6-8 would have been great. With the 12 team format at least one of the top seeds will be upset every 2-3 years. Makes for great theater and gives the unimaginative talking heads something to talk about, but does diminish the game and the title.

If this were a 12 team playoff at this point in the season I think big10 would have 3 in, ACC 2, Pac12 3, possibly 4, SEC 2, maybe 3 plus the group team.

With the 4 teams the big 10 is adding they may get 6 teams in because the 4 they are adding 3 are strong contenders and they have 3, the. SEC is adding 2. I think it's reasonable to think both of those get 4 in, which would leave 4 spots, I don't think the big 12 gets more than 1 in, I think it ends up like the Big East eventually.

12 is too many. 6-8 would have been great. With the 12 team format at least one of the top seeds will be upset every 2-3 years. Makes for great theater and gives the unimaginative talking heads something to talk about, but does diminish the game and the title.

There are upsets in every other sport that have not diminished the game. No one says the giants beating the patriots when they were undefeated diminished that season.

College football is rigged so the best teams will win every season. It won't be diminished by the rare upset.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
Outside of the playoff, the bowl games have become meaningless for most. Players opt out even if they're playing for a what was once a prestigious honor. Once the playoffs started it pretty much made most of them irrelevant to the top programs. We get a little more excited here because we didn't go much before the added the 12th game, but even now something out of the New Years timeframe is not very exciting. We basically just showed up and got the money last year. At least twelve teams gives us a shot.

Reactions: Girthang and Ugoff
For all you guys who think the baseball playoffs are a random crapshoot, Houston is one home win away for their 5th trip to the WS in seven years, and 2023 would be three in a row . . . doesn't sound all that random to me.

I’d go for an 8 team playoff. The P5 conference champs and three wildcards.

Although it might end up being the P4 champs and four wildcards.

Then again maybe the P3 champs……well you get the idea.

The season isn't meaningless. You play all year to give yourself the best possible seed/path for the tournament. It doesn't guarantee you anything other than winning your division Pennant. The Reds run down the home stretch was fun as hell. And this MLB postseason has been an absolute blast to watch

Reactions: Tskware
I’d go for an 8 team playoff. The P5 conference champs and three wildcards.

Although it might end up being the P4 champs and four wildcards.

Then again maybe the P3 champs……well you get the idea.

Its never gonna be 8. It will be 12 and then 16 and so on.

There are upsets in every other sport that have not diminished the game. No one says the giants beating the patriots when they were undefeated diminished that season.

Lol. Yeah, because the NFL and college are parallels, and I said "every upset diminishes the game"... Troll someone else with unreasonable bullsht and sht they didn't say.

"College football is rigged so the best teams will win every season."

Ok. Lol

I suspect more eyes were on and more interest was shown in baseball in September than in the last 40 years.

Would Cincy have sat 40k their last two weekends if not for being on the cusp of that last wildcard slot?

The season is not meaningless. But the better teams better bring it and not rest on their laurels from the regular season!!

Football is a far more predictable game than baseball.

Something about swinging a round bat at a round ball makes baseball an unpredictable game!!
Post season baseball is a pitcher's season. The team whose pitcher's are hot are going to win almost every time. Good pitching beats good hitting.

Reactions: The-Hack
Post season baseball is a pitcher's season. The team whose pitcher's are hot are going to win almost every time. Good pitching beats good hitting.

Disagree, it's the team who's hitters get hot that wins. The Braves had the best pitching staff in baseball for years. Maddox, Gavin, Smotlz and Avery for a few of those years were the best team in baseball for a decade, and won it all 1 time. Pitching was there, just couldn't score. Like all sports rule changes were to produce more offense.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Disagree, it's the team who's hitters get hot that wins. The Braves had the best pitching staff in baseball for years. Maddox, Gavin, Smotlz and Avery for a few of those years were the best team in baseball for a decade, and won it all 1 time. Pitching was there, just couldn't score. Like all sports rule changes were to produce more offense.
But the Braves had the best offense in MLB this season, but are sitting at home because of opposing pitching, so....

Reactions: The-Hack
I think it feels more annoying for the upsets in baseball because they've played 162 games then in one bad/good stretch for a team in a longevity sport where there are always hot/cold stretches it flips. I don't think there will be the same feeling for upsets in cfb because everything is always a week to week thing. I guess 12 could be too many but I definitely like more than 4. In this new transfer portal age it feels like you can occasionally get a decent upset.

No excuses in the playoffs imo. The one thing it does do is put you in play for a possible playoff spot if you go 9-3 in the new SEC with no divisions and TX and OK coming aboard. 9-3 damn sure won't come easy though in that setup. 10-2 will be a 100% lock for a berth in the SEC.

I suspect more eyes were on and more interest was shown in baseball in September than in the last 40 years.

Would Cincy have sat 40k their last two weekends if not for being on the cusp of that last wildcard slot?

The season is not meaningless. But the better teams better bring it and not rest on their laurels from the regular season!!

Football is a far more predictable game than baseball.

Something about swinging a round bat at a round ball makes baseball an unpredictable game!!
I don't think the regular season is meaningless by any stretch, but I do think 162 games is way too many. Baseball shouldn't still be played while College Football/Basketball and the NFL and NBA are all playing as well. MLB baseball extending into November is ridiculous. Knock 30-40 games off the schedule and finish the World Series by the end of September and let us all focus on Football and basketball.

The NBA going into June is bad enough, but with Baseball being the only major sport out there in June, I can tolerate it a bit more.

There are exceptions to every rule but it's pitching most of the time.

I think 12 is too many (I wanted 8) but I think the ideal number of teams in the postseason is going to vary based on the number of teams in the league and the number of games played. In baseball, you only have 30 teams and they all play 162 games. That sort of a season should weed out most teams and only leave the elite few to compete in a playoff. College football has somewhere north of 100 teams that play 12 games each. Most of the top teams haven't played each other and have few common opponents. A larger post season is warranted. But in our current media $ driven environment, it's more about maximizing revenue than anything else. Too many sports, regular seasons are becoming less and less important and everybody with a pulse is getting into a playoff with more opportunity for chaos.
I know I am in the minority. But when they said 12 teams, I felt that would only be a short time before 16. The more teams that qualify will mean more potential good players will go teams that will get the opportunity to play for the championship. Everyone that thinks only the same 4 teams will play in the finals every year, needs to think about this. As the playoffs began - everyone thought Notre Dame would be in it every year? They are the coast to coast Catholic School with a long tradition in football - well has that happened?

I see the playoff going to 32 teams within a decade. Why? As others have talked about - the lesser bowl games will go away. Now, if you have 32 teams you will still have 31 games post season. The bowl games will be almost certainly all be playoff type games. The big six or 7 bowls will take us from 8 teams to 4 teams to 2 teams every year. The lesser bowls will take us from 32 to 16 and mid tier bowls will take us from 16 to 8. All the bowl games will be huge games in comparison to now. With NIL, players transferring and the fear of getting hurt in a lesser bowl by great players - then this will all make sense. No more conference championships either.

People will say that is to long of a season. OK - here's what should happen. Teams will go back to 11 game seasons and no conference championship games. Only 3/4 of the teams will miss one extra game. The next 16 teams will be equivalent to 8 conference championship games. The next 4 winners will go down to 2 and finally the championship game. Now the current college champion is playing 12 regular and 1 championship in most cases. Then two playoff games. Thats a total of 15 games. Under the 32 team format - the winner will play 16 games total - only one additional game!

Why would all conferences and teams agree to this - MONEY! The minor bowls that $1 million dollar games would become $10 million each immediately! Each round the ticket money and tv money would continue to grow. Conferences will get more money for every team in the conference. The ultimate winners MAY get more - than the way it is now - but probably more than likely be a wash for them.

This system has made tons of money for basketball - it can do the same for football! Finally, 8-4 power teams might make the playoffs! Wouldn't the regular season games mean a lot more and produce more revenue the last couple of weeks if you knew your team still had a chance? Wouldn't a team that had significant injuries early in the years have a chance to come back and make the playoffs? Wouldn't young teams have a chance to be coached up and improve enough to make the playoffs? All of those things could create a lot of excitement on a lot of campuses. You could have 64 teams fighting to make the playoffs with 3 weeks to go in the regular season.

Go Big Blue!

I know I am in the minority. But when they said 12 teams, I felt that would only be a short time before 16. The more teams that qualify will mean more potential good players will go teams that will get the opportunity to play for the championship. Everyone that thinks only the same 4 teams will play in the finals every year, needs to think about this. As the playoffs began - everyone thought Notre Dame would be in it every year? They are the coast to coast Catholic School with a long tradition in football - well has that happened?

I see the playoff going to 32 teams within a decade. Why? As others have talked about - the lesser bowl games will go away. Now, if you have 32 teams you will still have 31 games post season. The bowl games will be almost certainly all be playoff type games. The big six or 7 bowls will take us from 8 teams to 4 teams to 2 teams every year. The lesser bowls will take us from 32 to 16 and mid tier bowls will take us from 16 to 8. All the bowl games will be huge games in comparison to now. With NIL, players transferring and the fear of getting hurt in a lesser bowl by great players - then this will all make sense. No more conference championships either.

People will say that is to long of a season. OK - here's what should happen. Teams will go back to 11 game seasons and no conference championship games. Only 3/4 of the teams will miss one extra game. The next 16 teams will be equivalent to 8 conference championship games. The next 4 winners will go down to 2 and finally the championship game. Now the current college champion is playing 12 regular and 1 championship in most cases. Then two playoff games. Thats a total of 15 games. Under the 32 team format - the winner will play 16 games total - only one additional game!

Why would all conferences and teams agree to this - MONEY! The minor bowls that $1 million dollar games would become $10 million each immediately! Each round the ticket money and tv money would continue to grow. Conferences will get more money for every team in the conference. The ultimate winners MAY get more - than the way it is now - but probably more than likely be a wash for them.

This system has made tons of money for basketball - it can do the same for football! Finally, 8-4 power teams might make the playoffs! Wouldn't the regular season games mean a lot more and produce more revenue the last couple of weeks if you knew your team still had a chance? Wouldn't a team that had significant injuries early in the years have a chance to come back and make the playoffs? Wouldn't young teams have a chance to be coached up and improve enough to make the playoffs? All of those things could create a lot of excitement on a lot of campuses. You could have 64 teams fighting to make the playoffs with 3 weeks to go in the regular season.

Go Big Blue!
Some thoughts on this:

1. They will never go to 32 imo
2. Networks and conferences will never allow championship games to go away. The SEC championship is the 4th most watched game of the entire season behind the semis and title game. Conferences make a ton of money from their championship game. They aren’t giving up that game to share money with other conferences.
3. Other bowl games will never be included in any other expansion. It will be more games on home fields, just like the first round in 2024 and beyond.
4. Teams aren’t going back to 11 games. Their conference TV contracts will drop significantly (adding that to dropping the championship game would be killer to conference revenue).
5. Another reason they aren’t going back to 11 games is the potential of losing a home game. Big time Power 5 programs net about $4 million per home game. They aren’t giving up that money.

This is the one case where I think adding more games leads to less revenue for conferences.

Reactions: ganner918
I left after the strike . But in the Big Red Machine days I was in Cincy all of the time . Enough that I qualified for world series tickets . Strike really turned me off.
Strike of 94...no WS... about the only time I watch now is if the Red Sox and Cubs are in the playoffs... regular season forget it.

Some thoughts on this:

1. They will never go to 32 imo
2. Networks and conferences will never allow championship games to go away. The SEC championship is the 4th most watched game of the entire season behind the semis and title game. Conferences make a ton of money from their championship game. They aren’t giving up that game to share money with other conferences.
3. Other bowl games will never be included in any other expansion. It will be more games on home fields, just like the first round in 2024 and beyond.
4. Teams aren’t going back to 11 games. Their conference TV contracts will drop significantly (adding that to dropping the championship game would be killer to conference revenue).
5. Another reason they aren’t going back to 11 games is the potential of losing a home game. Big time Power 5 programs net about $4 million per home game. They aren’t giving up that money.

This is the one case where I think adding more games leads to less revenue for conferences.
I understand your thinking. But here are my answers to your observations.

2. The first sixteen games will be watched more than all the conference championship games. I understand why SECchampionship is a big deal now - because it is a big deal! But those 16 games will generate a ton of TV revenue and ticket sales.

3. You say other bowl games will not be included. I think th bowls will be fighting to be one of the playoff bowls. The bowls that aren;t in the playoff picture will disappear. But this will give those bowls a chance to sell out their games and generate huge amounts of money for their charities as well. Who really cares about the Music City bowl now? But if it was part of the Championship playoffs- it will be packed! The host cities will be trying to be a part of the big picture.

4. 11 game seasons would be a choice. That is for all the people who don't want to add another week to the season. But 11 games would be more meaningful - as many late season games are now not important and attendance and interest wanes - more games will be more meaningful when 32 teams are trying to get into the playoffs.

5. The additional playoff game would probably mean a lot more than $4 million to a home school. I would say it would triple that amount in reality. Everything is a guess - but just using the data from the NFL playoffs and the playoff games now, it seems pretty clear that the money will be there for everyone! Including those programs who don't play in upper leagues.

I remember when the NCAA Basketball tournament was 16 teams. People complained about adding teams and diluting the quality of the teams and season. Now those 3 weeks of the season are what everyone looks forward to. Football will be the same - except even bigger in my opinion. People don't like change. But when you talk BILLIONS of dollars - things will change quickly. Money seems to always talk. Those 31 games will generate Billions - not millions! People say fans can not spend money to support their teams for many games. Well, how has it affected the NFL - they expanded the playoffs - what do tickets cost for the superbowl???? Do you ever see any seats empty? Marketing will change - just like it does for the NCAA finals. Most tickets to those playoff games will be sold long before the teams in them are known. Thats why the bowl game tie ins will be a big deal. Those bowls will push to make them sellouts - as they know those games will be televised across the country and the viewership will be high - as they actually mean something!

Go Big Blue!

P.S. I will probably not be around to see this happen. But I have lived long enough to see man land on the moon, to see everyone have a phone that is a computer that fits into their hands without wires attached to it, to see the NCAA go from 16 teams to 68 - so why wouldn't I expect this to happen in the future?

Reactions: Ugoff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT