ADVERTISEMENT

Why?

Because we are quick on offense and transitioning from taking the ball out of the basket and getting into our offense.

Being quick doesn't necessarily equate to being good on defense either
Coach ... I think I disagree. Respectfully ... IMHO "being quick" should "equate to being good on defense." But playing defense requires a level of concentration and effort that's different from offense.
The nature of kids' progression through learning to play basketball is always (it seems to me, naturally) focused on offense -- mostly shooting and ball-handling (but not much passing :) ). They learn defense almost exclusively through coaching - not only defensive technique, but the fact that defense requires concentrated effort, etc.
Heretofore, I have thought that Calipari was pretty good at coaching defensive basketball in the practice gym. It seems now that he has lost (or abandoned, through his own lack of effort) even that capability.
Whether this UK team will collectively develop the kind of concentrated effort that is required to play good defense remains to be seen, I guess.
But ... whether or not ... Go 'Cats ! ! !

Defense takes serous effort and energy. Offense flows and is fun. Guess which one most people want to play. Plus Edwards is a massive gaping hole in our defense and Bradshaw isn't much better.

If they start to play real team defense then you can expect their offensive output to lag for a bit until their stamina level catches up. if they don't start to play defense then it is going to be another early exit from the tourney.

Defense takes serous effort and energy. Offense flows and is fun. Guess which one most people want to play. Plus Edwards is a massive gaping hole in our defense and Bradshaw isn't much better.

If they start to play real team defense then you can expect their offensive output to lag for a bit until their stamina level catches up. if they don't start to play defense then it is going to be another early exit from the tourney.
Yep they’re both abysmal defensively. Edwards is absolutely terrible at defense and rebounding. Never puts a body on anyone to box out. It’s incredible how much he lacks fundamentals and awareness, and he’s the age of a sophomore/junior. Lmao

Unfortunately, our entire team is one big gaping hole on defense right now.

Our guards help a lot on the interior. When other teams get hot they exploit that.

"Quickest team" has nothing to do with defense or rebounding.
Really? First, I didnt say a thing about rebounding. What's the main thing then? If it dosen't matter why is it a main topic when talking about a recruit. If you are quick it should be much easier to play defense. Speeds kills.

Reactions: crestcat
Because we are quick on offense and transitioning from taking the ball out of the basket and getting into our offense.

Being quick doesn't necessarily equate to being good on defense either
I agree, defense is the dirty part of bb because it takes effort and tenacity. Still believe it should make it so much easier, but nobody gets noticed for it.

Really? What's the main thing then? If it dosen't matter why is it a main topic when talking about. If you are quict it should be much easier to play defense. Speeds kills.
An offense that relies on guards to get up and down the floor. Fortunately, this team has a surplus of unselfish guards that have the ability to create their own shot and shoot from the perimeter. Not only that, but for most of the season the main big, Tre Mitchell stretches the floor, is a tremendous passer, and is the smartest player on the floor.

Unfortunately, if this team isn't gambling on defense, they're looking at the other end of the court to score. Sometimes it almost seems like they hope the opposing team scores so they are guaranteed to get the ball back.

It’s help and rotations, team defense is where we struggle. I think we’ll be a solid defensive team by February especially if Thiero is healthy

Totally agree it takes serious effort and energy but it also takes serious thinking and want to. I and for a coach that further first two weeks you only touched a basketball during shoot around prior to practice starting. His thoughts, anyone can play offense, it's fun, but the dirty work is defense. After 2 weeks of running and defense positioning we were ready for some offense. We knew if we slacked off on defense he'd take us back where we didn't want to go, back to defensive practices, full court 3 on 3, with the ball but no shooting. Also if you didn't find someone to block out after a shot, you got to run more sprints. Needless to say we we really good at defense and rebounding.

This team has the ability to be a good defensive team but takes time to beat it into their being after AAU etc type play, featuring dunking, 3 point shooting and very little if any defensive teaching. Being in the proper stance and moving the feet with out crossing your feet is a must. In my case, after I learned proper defense I enjoyed defense as much as offense.

Reactions: FirewithFire
Always boils down to the coach.
GettyImages-1475681102-scaled.jpg

Why? Because most 18-19 year olds are physically weak and mentally deficient. They're here for prep-camp for a reason, because they'll get bent over in the league right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT