ADVERTISEMENT

Why wouldn't Tommy Lloyd be our first choice?

ukfan1622

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2021
He's young and has been great in his short stint at Arizona with a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense this year.
And he's not one that is sure to say no. Donovan has already told us no too many times and he's had
two great years in about 30 as head coach in college plus the NBA. Pearl and Wright are too old
and Stevens and Hurley are pipe dreams, and not just weed pipe dreams but something much stronger.

He's young and has been great in his short stint at Arizona with a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense this year.
And he's not one that is sure to say no. Donovan has already told us no too many times and he's had
two great years in about 30 as head coach in college plus the NBA. Pearl and Wright are too old
and Stevens and Hurley are pipe dreams, and not just weed pipe dreams but something much stronger.

Donovan took Florida to 4 final fours. He is an excellent coach.

Lloyd is fine but needs to do something n March. The issue is if he makes final four this season don't see him leaving.

Reactions: Elliott Tim
First choice? Let’s review…

Lloyd… Still employed by a tournament team that’s still playing, and probably has a significant buyout clause.

Wright… Retired, doing a side commentary gig, with zero financial or employment hurdles to jump over.

I get it, we are all bored and anxious right now, but come on, it’s going be Wright, Donovan, and probably Drew/Pearl in that order, and I don’t think Wright says no to what UK can and has to offer.

This is my thought as well OP. He is the best fit for the job and barely gets mentioned. I also think we could get him UK>ua

Lloyd getting ready to get paid 5.25M next year. He just got extended to 2029 in Feb 2024.

I'm thinking as well he may be the best candidate that might consider us.

Don't know as he's a West Coast coach. 20 years at Gonzaga before he got a shot. Incredible patience.

I’d take Lloyd. He’s only like 50. I think his first two seasons at Arizona he won more games than any other coach in his first two seasons. Something like that. His winning % there is like 84%. Guy can recruit. Seems to have a sound X and O ability. Maybe not getting past the first weekend before is a hinderance, but he’s there now. Good chance to get to EE. Possible FF. Not a terrible option.

Statements like this are why I just don't believe you are a UK fan.
Sean Miller is a good coach whether you like it or not. Did he have a down year at Xavier? Yes he did but don’t let his wrong doings get in the way of his ability to coach

Sean Miller is a good coach whether you like it or not. Did he have a down year at Xavier? Yes he did but don’t let his wrong doings get in the way of his ability to coach
he’s ok. Under 70% conference record I the pac 12. He’s a cheater. Not what you want here. Lloyd is much better.

I'd be happy with Tommy Lloyd. Young, up and coming coach. The loss to Princeton hurts the resume but has now advanced to at least the Sweet 16 two out of the last three years.. Only question is does he have the personality and media savvy to handle a program like Kentucky.

He'd be an upgrade over the current state that's for sure.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Since I also like the Lloyd idea, here are his financials:

-12M buyout now, 9M after next year, 6.25M the year after
-He has a 5 year contract that pays from the low 5M range now up to 6M by the last year
-he also has a 2M incentive if he stays there the next few years

With that said you’d have to pay the 12M buyout and probably a 5 year 40M type contract(8 AAV) to make it work and incentivize him to leave a gravy setup right now. All of that is definitely doable DEPENDING on how the transition away from Cal goes financially.

Reactions: ukfan1622
That buyout is going to put a dent in him coming to Lexington.

Now, you're up to 45M paid out (w/o negotiations) before Lloyd coaches a game or even takes his first check.

Smart move Arizona; you saw potential influencers coming after Lloyd.

Reactions: ukfan1622

Lloyd… Still employed by a tournament team that’s still playing, and probably has a significant buyout clause.

Wright… Retired, doing a side commentary gig, with zero financial or employment hurdles to jump over.

I get it, we are all bored and anxious right now, but come on, it’s going be Wright, Donovan, and probably Drew/Pearl in that order, and I don’t think Wright says no to what UK can and has to offer.
I hope you're right; I'd love to have Wright.

Reactions: jrpross

1st off Mitch would never hire Pearl. 2nd off, Jay Wright left his school because of NIL and Portal. He isn't coming here man. Stop doing this to yourself

If love to have him too, just don't think it's possible. Scott Drew will probably be Mitch's dude if u know anything about Mitch.

Personally I say Lloyd is our best and most realistic option. And we can probably get him. If Cal does really leave, I'd bet everything on Drew though.

Just really really wish everyone would stop with Wright, Donovan and Steven's. They're not realistic.

I’d pee myself if we got Jay Wright but I just don’t see it. Dude left coaching after winning 2 titles. I don’t think he wants to deal with the NIL climate.

Cal was known as a cheater also before he came to Kentucky…..
Don't you mean was falsely accused of cheating? Cal can't coach a lick but he isn't a cheater and he's never
been found to be the reason for a major NCAA violation anywhere.

I think Sean Miller is worth mentioning also. I think the dude would be a rockstar at Kentucky
I think he would be an easy get, as others may not be interested. Everybody is not interested in living in Lexington, contrary to what we’d like to believe. That factors into decision-making in a big way. Miller is close enough that I believe his move would be an easy one.

What rule did Cal break?
You won't get an answer because the answer is none. He was at two schools that had games later vacated
by the NCAA. The first was because of a player doing something wrong with nobody at the university knowing about it; otherwise they'd have stopped it. The NCAA said the school and coach were victims and the player admitted that but since he became ineligible the second he that wrong thing(taking money from a prospective agent) the NCAA had no choice but to vacate the games.

The second situation was when Derrick Rose attended Memphis and was deemed eligible in every way by the
NCAA and would have been taken by any university. Later the testing body for the college entrance exam Rose took was called into question(don't remember if it was SAT or other, doesn't matter) and an investigation was begun. No cheating on the exam was ever proven but because Rose ignored their correspondence they invalidated his test. Then the NCAA retroactively vacated the games saying no entrance exam made him ineligible. I thought then, when I was no fan of Calipari, that the NCAA widely overreacted under the circumstances.

In neither situation was there ever even a credible accusation against Calipari or the schools of cheating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT