ADVERTISEMENT

Why the empty seats at Rupp?

I was there and there were plenty of them. Don't remember a first home game not being packed.
Plenty of reasons why, what say you?

1. Covid?
2. Rupp under construction?
3. Weak home schedule?
4. Loss of interest?
5. Last season?
6. Calipari?
7. Inflation?
8. Other???
Reasons 1-10: You can buy a nice TV for the price of two upper deck tickets and ridiculous fees to one game.

Plus many other reasons.

Mitch better figure out how to put butts in seats, especially if it is imperative that we play one cupcake at home after another. Ah, the sad state of financial affairs of college sports...

Yeah, we went and had a blast. Been to all of them including Blue White. The Friday games are tough. We live in the Central time zone and have a 3:00 hour drive. We leave at 1:00 to have time to eat. Saturday games would be so much easier.
But at least you get home an hour earlier. :p:p:p:p

• Haha
Reactions: JDHoss
Well we just lot to Duke and everyone on this board was telling me how we're garbage again and not going to go anywhere with Cal as the coach.
Friday night game
Not a big time opponent.

I'm hoping that after the show they put on, fans will be fully in basketball mode.

In general there is a great disconnect with fans happening in this country. On a broad scale many are fed up with the injection of politics into the game atmosphere. Higher ticket prices means you have to be picky about which games you attend. A poor schedule (weak opponents) contributes to that. The overlap with high school sports is a factor as well.
Specifically, regarding UK, many diehard fans can no longer name the top 10 players on the roster because of the constant turnover. Some older fans are probably still wary of large crowds in this age of Covid. But, in general there seems to be a large number of UK fans that have lost their passion for the program. Why? It's most likely a combination of things. Some I've mentioned here. But, underachieving the last 5+6 based on the level of talent available could be part of it.
And finally, it's cheaper and much easier to just sit home and watch the game on a 70" led TV.

when was the last home opener we had sold out and the seats filled

anyone know the number of tickets sold for last night?

In general there is a great disconnect with fans happening in this country. On a broad scale many are fed up with the injection of politics into the game atmosphere. Higher ticket prices means you have to be picky about which games you attend. A poor schedule (weak opponents) contributes to that. The overlap with high school sports is a factor as well.
Specifically, regarding UK, many diehard fans can no longer name the top 10 players on the roster because of the constant turnover. Some older fans are probably still wary of large crowds in this age of Covid. But, in general there seems to be a large number of UK fans that have lost their passion for the program. Why? It's most likely a combination of things. Some I've mentioned here. But, underachieving the last 5+6 based on the level of talent available could be part of it.
And finally, it's cheaper and much easier to just sit home and watch the game on a 70" led TV.
if you are a diehard fan and can not name 10 players on the team, then you are NOT a diehard fan................just saying

when was the last home opener we had sold out and the seats filled

anyone know the number of tickets sold for last night?
Couldn't see the upper sidelines, but lower bowl was over 95% full.

The uppers behind the basket was sparse...60% full on the STH end and around 20% full on the student upper end. Students did fill their lower section and eRupption zone 100%.

Reactions: bbncal02
Couldn't see the upper sidelines, but lower bowl was over 95% full.

The uppers behind the basket was sparse...60% full on the STH end and around 20% full on the student upper end. Students did fill their lower section and eRupption zone 100%.
so roughly around 19,000 depending on the upper sidelines?

Every year I get picked in the lottery for season tickets. Every year, they say i am so lucky to have been picked.
They wanted $2200 for nose bleeds in the coroner or behind the goal.
I asked this year, what’s it take to get lowers. He said when they become available, they require a $100,000 donation!!!!! If that’s correct. I’ll never have them.
Every year I decline the offer. I told him, that the weak out of conference opponents and the snooze fest that comes along with it, makes me have zero interest in holding season tickets.

Reactions: CatInCanuckLand
Not reading whole thread. Sure there is a lot of blame for Calipari or whatever reason..,

All I know is that people would sit in those tickets if season ticket holders sold them as they should when they don’t attend. Empty seats should be in rafters.

Every year I get picked in the lottery for season tickets. Every year, they say i am so lucky to have been picked.
I asked this year, what’s it take to get lowers. He said when they become available, they require a $100,000 donation!!!!! If that’s correct. I’ll never have them.
Every year I decline the offer. I told him, that the weak out of conference opponents and the snooze fest that comes along with it, makes me have zero interest in holding season tickets.
They told me the same. The $100k is for someone that doesn’t already have season tickets. Once you get them, you can upgrade each year based on non renewals.
Our seats aren’t that bad- but $2200 is what I paid for two. To get to the lowers I figured it would cost double what I pay now at a minimum.

Not reading whole thread. Sure there is a lot of blame for Calipari or whatever reason..,

All I know is that people would sit in those tickets if season ticket holders sold them as they should when they don’t attend. Empty seats should be in rafters.
There were quite a few that were unsold on Ticketmaster.

If that’s the case very few people will ever have them. I get we’re an elite program but when you pander to only the elites, attendance with be spotty.

Reactions: westerncat
63 percent of statistics are made up on the spot

Probably not proper but , whenever I had “rafter” seats , I would get on Ticketmaster just before tipoff and if there were lowers still unsold , I’d just go down there like I owned them .

Reactions: bkingUK
Probably not proper but , whenever I had “rafter” seats , I would get on Ticketmaster just before tipoff and if there were lowers still unsold , I’d just go down there like I owned them .
That’s a pretty good strategy really

Going the same trend as baseball, where the current generations are caring less and less about sports.
When I retired 5 years ago, most of our new hires didn't care about sports. The few that did, didn't care enough to attend games and mostly preferred to watch from sports bars with friends or have a viewing party at someone's house. Other reasons, already discussed ad nauseam....

* Cost - Get two decent upper level seats for Mount St Mary? I'd guess $100 - $120. Add on dinner, gas, parking, popcorn, Coke or whatever and you could be looking at $140+ to see a game you could see from your home for a fraction of the cost.

* Convenience - It's cold at night. Your house is warm. Your recliner is comfortable, and no one has their knees in your back or elbowing you from the side, or moving back in forth in front of you or trying to hold a conversation with you for the entire game. You have a really large TV with a great picture and sound. You have instant replay. You can pause live action to go to your own bathroom where there will be no line. There's no line at your concession stand and all of your favorite foods and drinks are always in stock. When the game is over, there's no going out in the cold and possibly wet/snowy weather to your car. There's no navigating traffic. You can watch another game/TV show/movie or you can go to bed.

* Political butthurt? Maybe, but IMO that would be miniscule and mostly confined to nutjobs on message boards who rarely attend games.

* Connection to the players? I've never understood that one. I root for the guys who play for UK, regardless of where they are from or how long they stay. I guess that's a personal thing for some people.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a coincidence that covid affects old people the most and the sections with the most old people are most empty,

But it’s really all these reasons (with exception of goofy politics).

I was there and there were plenty of them. Don't remember a first home game not being packed.
Plenty of reasons why, what say you?

1. Covid?
2. Rupp under construction?
3. Weak home schedule?
4. Loss of interest?
5. Last season?
6. Calipari?
7. Inflation?
8. Other???
Because people aren’t attending the game. Are you really that ignorant?

King Andy should make those people wear those masks entire game. I can understand why if a person is on the Uk bench they don’t need to wear a mask but man it gets real dangerous starting in that first row of fan seating…that is where the Covid risks start! Cal don’t need no stinkin mask (cause he is Superman) but everybody else needs to wear their mask! Governor do your job! No more fans in Rupp, they aren’t being mask compliant!!

Everyone is different and has their reasons. For me it's a bunch of things. Ticket prices have basically doubled in the past 10 years. I'm older now so the 225 mile round trip is no fun, especially the drive home in the dark and cold. COVID is definitely a factor, there are many times I have to go into public (work, shopping, etc.) so no need to press my luck when it is not a necessity. Plus, no roster continuity or marque recruits such as a Wall, Cousins, Davis or Towns that I just have to see play in person.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I gave up my season tickets.It wasnt from lack of interest.I love the University and our men's and women's programs.For me it was health related.In this age of Covid it simply wasnt safe to be in attendance with people you know nothing about and that's my choice.I do agree the prices have gotten ridiculous but dont blame it on the home schedule.We cant play Duke every game.That would be incompetent....plus it's easier to watch it on my big screen in my recliner.

Everyone is different and has their reasons. For me it's a bunch of things. Ticket prices have basically doubled in the past 10 years. I'm older now so the 225 mile round trip is no fun, especially the drive home in the dark and cold. COVID is definitely a factor, there are many times I have to go into public (work, shopping, etc.) so no need to press my luck when it is not a necessity. Plus, no roster continuity or marque recruits such as a Wall, Cousins, Davis or Towns that I just have to see play in person.
Oof. Yeah, 6 hour round trip is no fun.

Being from Western Kentucky I feel your pain on that. I’d love to go to a game at Rupp. It’s just not a spur of the moment thing unfortunately.

Friday night games are a terrible scheduling idea, however, it's fair to point out that Saturday and Sunday would be even worse during football season.

For me life, work schedule, cost of attendance (Im no baller) and the schedule itself more than anything have me going to a handful of games a year. The politics and all that definitely pushed me further away, but reality is its just a confluence of a lot of factors. And it differs by the individual. For me the biggest thing is its football season and when push comes to.shove I'm spending my money to attend those games when I can right now. Come January, I'll be choosing to spend that budgeted money on going to the basketball games. If we had a big time home game between now and then, I'd pony up to go. I think I spent $130 on extreme upper nosebleeds for the Kansas game at Rupp a few seasons ago. Terrible seats but hey, it'd Kansas at Rupp. So a lot of different things. I believe attendance will be fine. This team is going to be fun.

Reactions: bbncal02
King Andy should make those people wear those masks entire game. I can understand why if a person is on the Uk bench they don’t need to wear a mask but man it gets real dangerous starting in that first row of fan seating…that is where the Covid risks start! Cal don’t need no stinkin mask (cause he is Superman) but everybody else needs to wear their mask! Governor do your job! No more fans in Rupp, they aren’t being mask compliant!!
Rupp is a private venue. It can make its own rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT