ADVERTISEMENT

Why Recruiting makes Winners

Cobb4uk

Junior
Gold Member
May 18, 2019
Benton, ky
has always been the end all in quality teams. We've been fortunate that our coaches recognizes talent and can develop that talent really well. But numbers just don't lie: Below will explain. I took these numbers from Rivals from 2013 thru 2020, utilizing recruiting records and wins and losses over that period.

SEC EAST
Georgia Record (80-25) Recruiting Average. (4.875)
Florida. (63-37) (11)
UT. (50-48) (13.875)
S.C. (49-50) (20.375)
Mizzo. (58-42) (40.25)
KY. (49-50) (31.75)
Candy. (36-60) (49)

SEC WEST
Bama. (103-10) (2.25)
LSU. (74-27) (7.5)
Auburn. (68-36) (10)
TA&M. (65-36) (10.25)
Ole Miss. (52-45) (26.6)
Miss St. (59-43) (26.75)
Arkansas. (36-59) (32.125)

Following these numbers explains how important recruiting is for a great winning percentage. I'm sure these numbers hold true in every conference. Kentucky's numbers have been on the positive side in all areas ever since Coach Stoops arrived, especially if you through out his first year 2-10 record. Hopefully we can get a victory Saturday and go undefeated the rest of the year.

Don't remember the exact quote but Kirby Smart recently said something like: "There's no coach out there that can overcome bad recruiting."

You can coach up under the radar players to compete to the level of some 4-5 stars. But imagine what you can do with 4-5 stars as a baseline.
Take GA for example. Thier defensive front are all freaks. No shock to know they were all very highly recruited talent.
Generally if the big boys want them badly you're doing doing something. If you're fighting EKU and toledo for a guy that's very very bad and we've been there before.

Recruiting is rearing its head on us this year. DL/ WR/ CB for sure need better players. Ours just aren't good enough....
We've came a long long way but still a good way to go .

It was mentioned during the GA-UF game that GA's massive monster DT Jordan Davis was a 3*. Never would've thought it.

You can coach up under the radar players to compete to the level of some 4-5 stars. But imagine what you can do with 4-5 stars as a baseline.
Take GA for example. Thier defensive front are all freaks. No shock to know they were all very highly recruited talent.
Generally if the big boys want them badly you're doing doing something. If you're fighting EKU and toledo for a guy that's very very bad and we've been there before.

Recruiting is rearing its head on us this year. DL/ WR/ CB for sure need better players. Ours just aren't good enough....
We've came a long long way but still a good way to go .
WR is historic lack of QB & run-focus (chicken or egg?), so not surprising.
Hit by injuries on DL pretty hard.
Given Stoops' DB background, no excuse for CB.
I'd say a star QB would make up for a lot of this - moving the ball, but we haven't gotten that either.

I would want to play up the fact that certain teams "do more with less" and some "do less with more". Definitely, in recruiting, I would prefer to be the former (to some degree) than the latter, if I was a player.

It was mentioned during the GA-UF game that GA's massive monster DT Jordan Davis was a 3*. Never would've thought it.
Ratings don't always hold true but with a talent like Jordan Davis along with the 63 other 4 & 5 star players winning become easier.

Reactions: The-Hack
has always been the end all in quality teams. We've been fortunate that our coaches recognizes talent and can develop that talent really well. But numbers just don't lie: Below will explain. I took these numbers from Rivals from 2013 thru 2020, utilizing recruiting records and wins and losses over that period.

SEC EAST
Georgia Record (80-25) Recruiting Average. (4.875)
Florida. (63-37) (11)
UT. (50-48) (13.875)
S.C. (49-50) (20.375)
Mizzo. (58-42) (40.25)
KY. (49-50) (31.75)
Candy. (36-60) (49)

SEC WEST
Bama. (103-10) (2.25)
LSU. (74-27) (7.5)
Auburn. (68-36) (10)
TA&M. (65-36) (10.25)
Ole Miss. (52-45) (26.6)
Miss St. (59-43) (26.75)
Arkansas. (36-59) (32.125)

Following these numbers explains how important recruiting is for a great winning percentage. I'm sure these numbers hold true in every conference. Kentucky's numbers have been on the positive side in all areas ever since Coach Stoops arrived, especially if you through out his first year 2-10 record. Hopefully we can get a victory Saturday and go undefeated the rest of the year.
If you want to really be impressed with recruiting - throw out the years before 2016 - then look at everyone - that is the real story as to now - those are the guys who are still on this years roster.

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
This is why I kind of squint my eyes at some of the responses in threads like this:

UK would be lucky to go 11-1 when it barely cracks the Top 25 in signing classes while facing SEC competition. It just doesn't happen yet. We have to recruit at a higher level, Top 15ish, for 3-4 straight years. Exceptions (Missouri winning the SECE) are the exceptions but don't prove the norm.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT