ADVERTISEMENT

Why not offer the position to the one coach that actually wants it and would be a perfect fit?

Jan 29, 2012
Bruce Pearl has always talked glowingly of the University of KY, its tradition and its fans. In my opinion he’s a guy that clearly checks many boxes for being the next ambassador and head coach for our program.

Do we not think he will be hungry for the last part of his coaching career and try to get a national title for us. He would love to do so quickly and show Cal up.

He understands the importance of winning regular and post season tournaments to our passionate fanbase and will work tirelessly to win those championships we have not seen in years.

I think much of the fanbase would rally around him and the connection between Coach and fans would be quite different than what we have seen the past decade here.

It’s time for Mitch to stop screwing around and offering ridiculous sums of $$$$ to guys who do not want to be here only to get rejected. Bring in a guy who understands what KY basketball is and would crawl here for the opportunity to lead the greatest college basketball job there is.

tom-cean.gif

He would do fine.
I think there are still a fewl that are better.
Feels great he is our "safety school"

Totally agree. I have said that it all season, if you get past your tier 1 guys, you go for Pearl. He would win it all here.
Pearl, 1 losing season, 2 NCAA Tournament wins in the last 5 years. We want a 64 year old who has been as awful as Cal the last 5 years. Well his name isn’t Cal, that seems to be the most important quality and he meets that. I hope he can handle the raised standards because his recent work will get him ran out of town here.

I could get on board with this. I think Pearl’s personality and coaching style are perfect for the UK program. And the man is fun. It would be cool to see him take his last shots at that elusive national title here.

But the issue is his age. If we’d hired him a decade ago, I’m certain he would’ve absolutely killed it here. But not sure a 64 year old is what we should be looking for at this point.

“He actually wants it.”

Haha, you can’t make this up, ANOTHER Pearl lover saying Pearl wants the job WITHOUT a shred of supporting evidence other than their speculation to make mention of him worthwhile.

Pearl, 1 losing season, 2 NCAA Tournament wins in the last 5 years. We want a 64 year old who has been as awful as Cal the last 5 years. Well his name isn’t Cal, that seems to be the most important quality and he meets that. I hope he can handle the raised standards because his recent work will get him ran out of town here.
He has been the most successful coach in the postseason at all 4 schools he has coached at....he's been close and is still really hungry to win it all. I get the hesitation around the last 3 years (it was my same hesitation with Drew), but something about him makes me think he can do it here.

I think hes the difference we’ve been asking from Cal. Better XO’s, a more veteran lineup. Im not sure hes a better total package, but hes better for what we’ve needed. He would seemingly improve slightly with UK resources. Id be fine with it

He has been the most successful coach in the postseason at all 4 schools he has coached at....he's been close and is still really hungry to win it all. I get the hesitation around the last 3 years (it was my same hesitation with Drew), but something about him makes me think he can do it here.
He never stops cheating! He's on probation right now. He once thought he was McNulty and recorded phone calls with a high school player, trying to burn another recruiter.

Reactions: catzfanjim
He never stops cheating! He's on probation right now. He once thought he was McNulty and recorded phone calls with a high school player, trying to burn another recruiter.
Besides the incident 35 years ago with a high school player and inviting Aaron Craft to a BBQ, what else has he done. Genuinely curious.

He’s been at schools who hand banners for Elite 8’s. He also couldn’t beat John Calipari who can’t coach the last 2 years losing by double digits at home this year and getting curb stomped by nearly 30 last year. He also just got bounced by Yale in the first round and seems to be on the decline.

Reactions: catzfanjim
I’ve been on the Pearl or Golden train from the beginning. In theory, I like Llyod, but neither west coast coaches nor west coast players tend to like being in the east.

I’d pick up my fandom where it left off for Donovan, Pearl, or Golden. I’m not sure there are many others I’d say that about. Hurley of course, but you still run into the culture clash with him. And I’m not sure I’d want us to commit the kind of contract he would command.

-Oats, I think you run into thuggery potential
-Beard, yea, no. Millions of dollars make problems go away, and yes, women can be as nasty and violent as men, but he put himself in that situation whatever the rest of the story is. Always seemed a little over rated to start with.
-Smart, have always liked Smart, but I don’t think he’d be any better now at handling a high stakes, political pressure filled environment more now than he was a Texas
-Pope, would equal Tubby like results, but like the last five years Tubby
-Sampson. Old, but still has fire. Has evolved. I’d be interested
-Pitino. Asshole of assholes and old and went through a UK loathing stage

Who am I forgetting?

Last edited:
Reactions: dynastydreamuk
He’s been at schools who hand banners for Elite 8’s. He also couldn’t beat John Calipari who can’t coach the last 2 years losing by double digits at home this year and getting curb stomped by nearly 30 last year. He also just got bounced by Yale in the first round and seems to be on the decline.
All legit things. He's not the perfect candidate by any means, but outside of the top tier guys, all of them have their downfalls. If Billy D is not a go, then I think Pearl is a great next option. I can understand why others don't. Who would be your next option?

I think hes the difference we’ve been asking from Cal. Better XO’s, a more veteran lineup. Im not sure hes a better total package, but hes better for what we’ve needed. He would seemingly improve slightly with UK resources. Id be fine with it

“He actually wants it.”

Haha, you can’t make this up, ANOTHER Pearl lover saying Pearl wants the job WITHOUT a shred of supporting evidence other than their speculation to make mention of him worthwhile.
Well maybe Mitch should ask him if he wants the job. Drew and Hurley clearly didn’t. Start with asking that simple question. I’d bet he’d want it and take it and do quite well over the next 6 years we probably would give him.

Well maybe Mitch should ask him if he wants the job. Drew and Hurley clearly didn’t. Start with asking that simple question. I’d bet he’d want it and take it and do quite well over the next 6 years we probably would give him.
Ok so you can’t say he wants the job. If he truly did he could reach out to Mitch, haven’t heard of him doing that through front, back or side channels.

Besides the incident 35 years ago with a high school player and inviting Aaron Craft to a BBQ, what else has he done. Genuinely curious.
Well, he's currently on probation, clearly not for either of those things. One of his assistants was taking bribes. The NCAA considered Pearl's history of violations as a mitigating factor. That 3 year Show Cause follows him everywhere.

There's only one thing I trust Mitch to do: NOT hire Pearl.

He once thought he was McNulty and recorded phone calls with a high school player
He was not the one cheating with that incident, instead the Illinois assistant was. Pearl was trying to get audio proof of it. Even if it was smarmy to record the kid without his knowledge, who gives a shit now? That was in the friggin 1980s. It has no bearing on today’s CBB world.

And the UT violations centered around inviting Craft to an unauthorized BBQ were laughably silly and minor compared to what goes on today.

Well, he's currently on probation, clearly not for either of those things. One of his assistants was taking bribes. The NCAA considered Pearl's history of violations as a mitigating factor. That 3 year Show Cause follows him everywhere.
Understand all of that, but he was not found guilty of anything in the Chuck Person thing. The only thing he has ever been found guilty of is the Aaron Craft BBQ. Out of curiosity, who is your next choice after the first tier?

He was not the one cheating with that incident, instead the Illinois assistant was. Pearl was trying to get audio proof of it. Even if it was smarmy to record the kid without his knowledge, who gives a shit now? That was in the friggin 1980s. It has no bearing on today’s CBB world.

And the UT allegations with Craft and the unauthorized BBQ were laughably silly and minor compared to what goes on today.
Once a rat always a rat. College coaches are a tight knit fraternity and snitching on a fellow coach probably, even though time has passed, isn’t easily forgotten /excused.

Once a rat always a rat. College coaches are a tight knit fraternity and snitching on a fellow coach probably, even though time has passed, isn’t easily forgotten /excused.
But what does that have to do with him being a successful coach in 2024? If you don't want him as a coach, cool, but what he did in 1989 has zero to do with his ability to succeed today.

Reactions: drawing_dead
But what does that have to do with him being a successful coach in 2024? If you don't want him as a coach, cool, but what he did in 1989 has zero to do with his ability to succeed today.
The NCAA said that his 3 year show cause was a factor in Auburns probation. He brings a strike against whatever school hires him.

The NCAA said that his 3 year show cause was a factor in Auburns probation. He brings a strike against whatever school hires him.
So what does 1989 have to do with that is what I was asking. Still curious as to who your next guy on the list would be.

He's the perfect stop gap. Would be here probably 5 years at most. Gives another candidate and hopefully another ad time to emerge.

Reactions: UK90
While I think there’s better choices left at this point give it to Rick. Let him spend his last couple coaching years making right his biggest regret and I’m sure he will be massively motivated to win

Would be a great story. Or interesting at the very least.

Understand all of that, but he was not found guilty of anything in the Chuck Person thing. The only thing he has ever been found guilty of is the Aaron Craft BBQ. Out of curiosity, who is your next choice after the first tier?
Accepting that we've been turned down by Oats, Drew, and Hurley. Then projecting, for the purpose of your question, that Donovan is a no. Then I think we go for an up and Comer. Save face before we look more pathetic than Louisville. Prove we can recognize talent and grab the next Hurley.

“He actually wants it.”

Good point. Even so, why can't fan speculate and be optimistic? Seems you enjoy watching the program burn down around you to the point that no optimism is allowed without validation for that optimism.

Weird stuff.

Reactions: ftp000
Accepting that we've been turned down by Oats, Drew, and Hurley. Then projecting, for the purpose of your question, that Donovan is a no. Then I think we go for an up and Comer. Save face before we look more pathetic than Louisville. Prove we can recognize talent and grab the next Hurley.
Who would you want as an up and comer? Golden?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT