ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Skal unable to rebound?

I don't think he has a good feel for establishing good position among other things . Skals skill as of right now is a face up shooter , he would be great at horse but he seems to be behind in the finer details of the game .

No... he really seems to be still learning the size of his body. He lacks the quickness to be a rebounder. He is kind of skittish. Like he doesn't know his own body yet. Over time he will improve. Perhaps substantially.

Reactions: Ugoff
Make Skal walk around day and night with those spring hand clamps to strengthen his grip and also have him do ballet or something to improve his balance and body awareness. This kid needs a lot of work outside basketball to be great. He really could use another year or two just to see how much he is going to improve and what exactly his potential will be.

Right now, I hate to say it but no way I draft him yet. Too much risk. Kind of pick that costs a GM his job. Need to see if he's willing to work and what kind of attitude he's going to have about it because he is a risk at this point. No doubt about it.

Reactions: Longtrip and catben
Part of it is he is too busy trying to block everything he puts himself into poor positions to rebound.

Our bigs in the past did the same thing........only difference is they blocked more shots. Also had a bit more desire to get the ball.

You could play a drinking game with Skal and rebounds and have all the games thus far bunched into one and still not be drunk.

At the college level. His brain nor his body has adapted to the speed nor strength of the game.

-weak hands
-weak lower body
-bad balance
-step behind the flow of the game
-no nose for the ball

plus he's a freshman who hadn't played at a seriously competetive level until now.

He's just not at the level everyone thought he would be - not yet anyway.

I really believe he's growing into his body as z said. I hope he stays another year and develops, rather than getting drafted and stashed in the D-League.

He probably has only just learned the basics of blocking out. The kid truly didn't know how to play basketball when he arrived. He was great at shooting because that's what you can work on in a gym by yourself. He has so little game experience. And the game experience he does have was in high school and AAU where people aren't slamming into you and being 6'11" is usually enough.

He has poor instinct and knowledge of the game. It's evident. He doesn't understand spacing, positioning and how to use leverage.

He is merely a basketball talent, not a basketball player at this point.

Reactions: 5iveStarRecruit
It's really hard to believe that one ball hasn't fallen in his hands in 3 games. No strength and lack of toughness seem to be the main issues! As someone stated above... that one rebound that he had taken away from him was a HUGE play in the game!

Reactions: SosaUK
He'll be fine in the NBA because they don't exactly battle for every rebound

I don't know if another year is going to help to be honest.

Rebounding is alot about desire and I think that's something you either have or you don't. Just my opinion tho

I'm sorry, but my patience with Skal has just plain worn out. I don't care how pretty his outside shot looks, I don't care how athletic he is, I just CAN'T STAND watching a friggin 7 footer who can't rebound at all, can't defend the post, can't deal with any sort of physicality in the paint.

I mean, for cripes sake, what's the point of even being that big if you can't play inside? At this point I'd be happy if Cal just started giving all his minutes to Humphries.

Last edited:
Thing that drives me crazy is not only the lack of rebounding but the complete lack of ability to play defense at all.

Maybe he does just need more time but I dunno

I'll give him credit for stepping up near the end of regulation and hitting a huge jump shot. That's a lot of pressure for a freshman whose confidence already isn't great. He's improving, but he probably needs 2 more years of college ball before we will see him rebound consistently. I expect him to declare for the draft after this year though.

I don't know if another year is going to help to be honest.

Rebounding is alot about desire and I think that's something you either have or you don't. Just my opinion tho

Hard to say...it's really not fair to judge a potential career by one season. His handler and the back issue really put him
behind the eight-ball...he could hit the weight room and come back next year a changed player, or be drafted later in the
1st or early 2nd on strictly potential.

There's no doubt in my mind he can improve.

I'm just beginning to wonder about certain areas like rebounding. You have to have an aggressive mindset and I just don't know about him.

Wanting him gone so he doesn't play next year shows a complete lack of faith in the ability of the coaching staff to develop his weaknesses. Push him out if you want but just acknowledge that you're also belittling Cal by doing so.

Not talking to you OP but some others in the thread. That said Skal does one thing well and that's why he plays 10 or less minutes a game. Cal knows what he's doing obviously but I can't say I liked having DW in there with 4 fouls with so much time left.

3rd straight game with ZERO rebounds.

Skal is one of the most overrated, over hyped player Cal has ever recruited. Should he ever live up to his reputation it will be a great surprise or maybe the greatest coaching that Cal or anyone else has ever done.

Not sure about defensively, but he can't rebound offensively because he's too busy roaming the perimeter and easily gets boxed out since he's already so far from the basket. This is probably one of the main reasons Cal tried like hell to play him in the post. With Willis and Skal both being perimeter playing bigs, it really hurts UK down low.

Bilas mentioned during the game that the criticism was justified regarding Skal. Skal will be a decent player, but he needs a couple of years to develop. I think if he doesn't take the d league road and stuck around, he could turn into a very good player in the NBA . If he jumps after this year it would be a tremendous mistake and he will turn into a (What is Skal doing now?) thread in a couple of years.
I hope he sticks around and becomes a good player like WCS did. I think that would be the best option for him.

Reactions: goforitcats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT