ADVERTISEMENT

Why is College Basketball so bad this year?

Tyblue22

Senior
Dec 23, 2003
There are a couple of possible reasons like one and done, a few guys going overseas or G League but not many. The 3 point line had to be moved back because teams were just packing it in the paint and making the game very slow. The game has changed away from Big men dominating, to jump shots and 3 point shots. I don't know. But I know that I watched a few games with blue blood programs the last few days and teams cant score. There's very little action, almost no emotion.
UCLA vs UNC, both teams are 7-5. 7-5 man. And Kansas becomes what the 5th or 6th #1 to lose before January.
Buzz Baker had a great point on the pregame, he asked Rex who is the best player in the country? (or best players). He is right, you can't really name the top 5 teams in the country and you can't really name the best player on each team. It just seems strange. If you compare the NBA, NFL, College football and college basketball it seems that College Basketball is just down. The athletes seem very passive. I just wanted to get some opinions on what you think, as to why the game is the way it is compared to even a few years ago.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Average efficiency is just north of 1 point per possession.

It hasn't been that low........in well any year since Kenpom tracked efficiency stats (2002). And it's way low. We have been hovering around 1.04-1.05.

It's crazy lol

Reactions: Tyblue22 and TM2013
Average efficiency is just north of 1 point per possession.

It hasn't been that low........in well any year since Kenpom tracked efficiency stats (2002). And it's way low. We have been hovering around 1.04-1.05.

It's crazy lol
Which to my mind means it has a very, very large part to do with with how the games are officiated.

I mean, what is the common denominator in these games?

Regardless, it's broken. Someone should step up and try to fix it.

OAD and AAU needs to be blown up. The good players don’t stay in school, the rest are basketball skills challenged.

The refs let them beat the s*** out of each other. Nothing will change unless the rules of yesteryear are brought back.

There are a couple of possible reasons like one and done, a few guys going overseas or G League but not many. The 3 point line had to be moved back because teams were just packing it in the paint and making the game very slow. The game has changed away from Big men dominating, to jump shots and 3 point shots. I don't know. But I know that I watched a few games with blue blood programs the last few days and teams cant score. There's very little action, almost no emotion.
UCLA vs UNC, both teams are 7-5. 7-5 man. And Kansas becomes what the 5th or 6th #1 to lose before January.
Buzz Baker had a great point on the pregame, he asked Rex who is the best player in the country? (or best players). He is right, you can't really name the top 5 teams in the country and you can't really name the best player on each team. It just seems strange. If you compare the NBA, NFL, College football and college basketball it seems that College Basketball is just down. The athletes seem very passive. I just wanted to get some opinions on what you think, as to why the game is the way it is compared to even a few years ago.
The three point line did not have to be moved back. It was and is full blown retarded to think that would open up the floor. That rule change is a complete bust. There may be other factors but that is definitely not helping.

Reactions: Tyblue22
The refs let them beat the s*** out of each other. Nothing will change unless the rules of yesteryear are brought back.

What? I have to disagree. The fouls they call are a joke. If you barely touch someone they call a foul. I'm not sure if you were around to watch basketball in the 80's and 90's, but if you were you would see the meaning of beating the crap out of each other. There's ZERO physicality in the game today compared to then. The refs do not let them touch each other. The first 5 calls on Kentucky today were literal touch fouls. Especially the 2 on Nick.

I do agree that the end result, the refs slow the game down. But I dont see them letting each other beat on each other.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT