ADVERTISEMENT

Why does the media hate Cal?

southvillecat

Sophomore
Mar 21, 2009
I’ve heard this argument as one of the reasons why Kentucky gets shafted in the polls and tournament seeding. I get that he’s been seen as shady in the past, whether deserved or not, but so have lots of coaches that don’t get the same treatment. Cal has shown that he is genuine in his goals to help young men to succeed on and off the court and has been very successful in doing so. He also just seems like a very genuine person in general. So what reason does the media have in hating him? I’m not saying that it’s just a conspiracy theory. I’m actually curious if there are real reasons why they would hate him.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’ve heard this argument as one of the reasons why Kentucky gets shafted in the polls and tournament seeding. I get that he’s been seen as shady in the past, whether deserved or not, but so have lots of coaches that don’t get the same treatment. Cal has shown that he is genuine in his goals to help young men to succeed on and off the court and has been very successful in doing so. He also just seems like a very genuine person in general. So what reason does the media have in hating him? I’m not saying that it’s just a conspiracy theory. I’m actually curious if there are real reasons why they would hate him.

People hated Rupp, unless you kiss some of their a$$ they are pissed, look at Tipton. Some make generic comments and we go berserk when there was nothing to it. It’s all overkill, Cal is liked very much but the squeaky wheel gets heard.

Perhaps unfair, but the perception of Coach Cal is often something other than genuine.
I forget when it was, but at an nba draft - the camera caught Cal telling a player to be sure to get him on tv when the kid’s name was called. Cal was joking, but it was poorly received by a bunch of people I saw.
I think he is somewhat misunderstood, but part of it is his own schtick.
All that said, he has many within the media considered friends.

1. Cal doesnt try to make friends with them like other coaches do. Cal's a quirky guy...

2. He made a ton of enemies ... whenever there used to be an article he didnt like... he'd try to get the writer in trouble.... his days at Umass and Memphis , he p*ssed a lot of people off with his ego...

3. He's made enemies with coaches that have the backing of the media....... Calhoun, K, Pitino and Self....... ...

Perhaps unfair, but the perception of Coach Cal is often something other than genuine.
I forget when it was, but at an nba draft - the camera caught Cal telling a player to be sure to get him on tv when the kid’s name was called. Cal was joking, but it was poorly received by a bunch of people I saw.
I think he is somewhat misunderstood, but part of it is his own schtick.
All that said, he has many within the media considered friends.

Sometimes people just wait to complain about things in my opinion. They are great at parties.

1. Cal doesnt try to make friends with them like other coaches do. Cal's a quirky guy...

2. He made a ton of enemies ... whenever there used to be an article he didnt like... he'd try to get the writer in trouble.... his days at Umass and Memphis , he p*ssed a lot of people off with his ego...

3. He's made enemies with coaches that have the backing of the media....... Calhoun, K, Pitino and Self....... ...

Not sure about anything else but #3 is fine with me. Talk about major ego trips. :)

You must understand Tecumseh Sherman to understand this.

i-hate-newspapermen-they-come-into-camp-and-pick-up-31105347.png

Quotation-William-Tecumseh-Sherman-If-I-had-my-choice-I-would-kill-every-reporter-27-1-0115.jpg

Last edited:
I can name two or three who hate him but when you say media you mean all media. That’s not the case. The fact he was a huge threat to Dook certainly didn’t help with the espn guys who have sworn loyalty to K.

Go listen to his post game press conference after Florida game - that’s all you would need to watch to know the answer - was a condescending prick

Reactions: catben
I’m certain that he is not well liked among the referee fraternity. He seems contentious with most officials.

I always figured it was because when they went digging for dirt on Cal there was none.

He’s got a really strong personality, rubs some the wrong way.
Is combative, if you say or report something negative, he’ll come at you.
Perceived to be a complete self-promoter (so when he does something like raise money for Jamaica that would ordinarily get fawning coverage, the presumption is he’s doing it to get fawning coverage, so they don’t cover it)
“None of you know anything about basketball” - common press conference utterance
Other coaches don’t like him, feed media negative stories, which they are happy to believe.
The “Carnesecca has cancer” story cemented his rep with some as some who would literally do anything, break any rule, commit any sin to get a kid....

1. Cal is not part of the club. He was a blue collar guy who worked his way up from the ground, beat a lot of people who were hand picked, and didn’t apologize for it. This is why coaches don’t like Cal. He also beat a lot of them and has been a threat to their establishment choice.

2. He left Memphis for Lexington. Basketball media pretty much despises UK. Always have. They are basically a group of coastal players and coaches and they hate the state and the program. Cal bringing his revolutionary style to UK made them hate him. This is why the sports journalist don’t like him.

3. Kentucky is the most universally hated team in college basketball. From opposing fans to media, they do not like Kentucky. Rupp was the fall guy for the racist elements, he was chosen to be. It helped cover the rest of their asses when society changed. It was easy because Kentucky is seen as a southern state in the SEC and our founders name was Adolph, coupled with the myth created around 1966. It’s a created story line to hide the sins of their own

It will never change. Embrace the hate and keep kicking their ass.

Such a lazy generic term, "the media". I can name numerous people in "the media" who love Cal and have a great relationship with him.
numerous could be two to a thousand,kind of lazy in it self.

None of this is true.

1. Cal is not part of the club. He was a blue collar guy who worked his way up from the ground, beat a lot of people who were hand picked, and didn’t apologize for it. This is why coaches don’t like Cal. He also beat a lot of them and has been a threat to their establishment choice.

2. He left Memphis for Lexington. Basketball media pretty much despises UK. Always have. They are basically a group of coastal players and coaches and they hate the state and the program. Cal bringing his revolutionary style to UK made them hate him. This is why the sports journalist don’t like him.

3. Kentucky is the most universally hated team in college basketball. From opposing fans to media, they do not like Kentucky. Rupp was the fall guy for the racist elements, he was chosen to be. It helped cover the rest of their asses when society changed. It was easy because Kentucky is seen as a southern state in the SEC and our founders name was Adolph, coupled with the myth created around 1966. It’s a created story line to hide the sins of their own

I especially agree with number 3. Despite being part of the south technically, UNC and Duke always have got a pass because of their academic pedigree. Coastal elites both in the media and the NCAA have never liked Kentucky because UK has never fit in into their little club of elites.

To them, Kentucky is part of the country slowest to adapt and change with the times in CBB, and like you said, Rupp gets the biggest flak for that. Never mind the fact UK basically integrated the SEC. Our success is tied to that era unfairly because we won a ton with white players when only white players were playing the game.

The fact of the matter is Kentucky should not be atop the college basketball world. Poor state, part of the south, no elitist ties, poster child coach unfairly tied to the sins of old college basketball—yet we keep winning.

People (coastal elites especially) don’t like getting dunked on by Kentucky, both figuratively and literally. That will never change, so hell yeah embrace the hate and enjoy what we always have done for the last 80 plus years—win.

Last edited:
Go listen to his post game press conference after Florida game - that’s all you would need to watch to know the answer - was a condescending prick

This is a lot of it, because MOST of the media covering college basketball are ALSO "condescending pricks".:D

Cal has made his name by being an "Us against the world" coach. So, that means the media that covers the Dukes, KU's, UNC's and the old Big East teams were considered the ENEMY. When Cal took the UK job it was PERFECT because our fan base for DECADES has constantly been fighting with the college basketball media. This has made Cal an even BIGGER target for those same media members.

So now, not only are those no-nothing Hacks catching crap from Cal, they are also getting it from the #BBN, making it even easier to HATE Cal AND UK.

Heck, just look at this board or Twitter TODAY, Lunardi's ridiculous Braketology has been raked over the coals by the #BBN and rightfully so!!

We can ALL name the college basketball media members that we HATE!! It is closely equivalent to the SAME ones that HATE Coach Cal.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cal isn’t one of the good old boys. I don't care what your job is, whether it’s working at Mc Donald’s or politics in Washington, if you’re not part of “The Club” then you’re not liked. Cal doesn’t care if he’s part of the club. He’s kind of the “Anti-Club” by worrying more about his players than other coaches or the media. Some guys appreciate that and some don’t.

Let's face it, he does have a knack for digging a bit at folks, like his way of asking or talking about the "Basketball Bennies" and reminding folks in the room that he's the smartest about basketball.

If you don't know him that well, or even if you do, you might think he's being a little bit arrogant with a pinch of condescension. He does it with sideline reporters too during games who once again are members of the media. Maybe he's like Trump and has a true disdain for the media. It appears he would rather not talk to them from the way he handles the before-halftime interviews (he appears to think of those interviews as a nuisance), and the way he addresses the group media after games. That might not endear him to them, and might make them think of him in less than cordial terms. Cocky, arrogant, conceited? Use the terms you like, but he comes off as being a bit condescending to those (99.9% of his audience) who don't know more about basketball than he does. It doesn't turn me off, although I don't quite understand his motivation sometimes other than maybe he's tired, it's not his favorite part of coaching, or he's just old and crotchety like many of us over 60!

He isn’t the first coach I’d pick to hang out with and have a few drinks. His personality wouldn’t mesh with mine. But he does get it. He understands the media is biased against us and favors other programs “Duke”. He gets that the refs have agendas against us. He gets that the committee screws us every chance they get. And the establishment can’t stand that he does. And he gets that too. So more power to him.

He realized long ago he wasn’t one of the good old boys, this he embraced the black hat, and thoroughly enjoys antagonizing perceived enemies

This is the best summary of why people hate him though as smash said many in the media love him. Seth greenburg , Bilas and others always sing his praises . It is the local media guys , some in Kentucky , but mostly places like Memphis , Florida , Tennessee , North Carolina and so on that spread the hate. National guys love him more then hate him IMO but there are idiots like Palm and Mr. mumble mouth Goodman who for sure hate him though.

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
I like Cal as a coach and I think he is a good guy, but I can hardly listen to some of his interviews. You don't have conversations with Cal because he dominates the consversation

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Let's face it, he does have a knack for digging a bit at folks, like his way of asking or talking about the "Basketball Bennies" and reminding folks in the room that he's the smartest about basketball.

If you don't know him that well, or even if you do, you might think he's being a little bit arrogant with a pinch of condescension. He does it with sideline reporters too during games who once again are members of the media. Maybe he's like Trump and has a true disdain for the media. It appears he would rather not talk to them from the way he handles the before-halftime interviews (he appears to think of those interviews as a nuisance), and the way he addresses the group media after games. That might not endear him to them, and might make them think of him in less than cordial terms. Cocky, arrogant, conceited? Use the terms you like, but he comes off as being a bit condescending to those (99.9% of his audience) who don't know more about basketball than he does. It doesn't turn me off, although I don't quite understand his motivation sometimes other than maybe he's tired, it's not his favorite part of coaching, or he's just old and crotchety like many of us over 60!

I agree with him, some media folks are totally unintelligent. Wouldn’t invite one home for supper. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT