ADVERTISEMENT

Why do Louisville fans still claim the 2013 NCAA Title?

I never paid attention to vacated final fours before Louisville, still don't. And the punishment didn't fit the crime. To me cheating implies gaining some kind of competitive advantage, which they didn't. They broke rules and deserved punishment but I never for a second thought the NCAA would vacate a title over it. There should have been people go to jail for buying prostitutes for underage recruits, there should have been NCAA penalties on recruiting and whatnot... but they played the games with players who were not obtained through illicit means and they won.
well they did use prostitutes for recruiting purposes
do you honestly think that just happened that year

I never paid attention to vacated final fours before Louisville, still don't. And the punishment didn't fit the crime. To me cheating implies gaining some kind of competitive advantage, which they didn't. They broke rules and deserved punishment but I never for a second thought the NCAA would vacate a title over it. There should have been people go to jail for buying prostitutes for underage recruits, there should have been NCAA penalties on recruiting and whatnot... but they played the games with players who were not obtained through illicit means and they won.
I think you are wrong about players being obtained through illicit means. They used prostitutes for recruiting purposes from 2010 through 2014. Aside from the fact that paying for prostitutes is providing players with illegal benefits, it also helped them recruit players that played on the championship team. I don't get the desire to overlook their cheating. Had that been UK, I would still feel like the championship wasn't earned and we don't deserve to claim it. They cheated to get recruits and they got caught. Had they been caught before 2013, that team would have been without the services of some players and probably would not have been eligible to play in the tournament to begin with.

Because the NCAA doesn't really matter?
Because they're fans who saw their team win?
Because any other fanbase, including ours, would do the same?

Don't like 'em, but why wouldn't they continue to claim that title?
Fans can claim it, but the school is literally not allowed to acknowledge it.

And as a UK fan, I wouldn't acknowledge it either.

Looks like most on here are using the "selective rules" argument, meaning that because they got laid it's ok. They're called "impermissible benefits". You can't pick and choose.

Reactions: KFuqua
Has any other championship ever been vacated?
don't think so. but shoulda, coulda and woulda could have claimed a ew others among teams to include--Kansas, UNC, UCLA, Duke and Michigan as beginning thoughts. I think the 1950 UK team was barred from playing in it, so there's another one. We didn't win it, but couldn't participate either.

So using that logic, did Sosa and McGuire's accomplishments still count? You're right. Screw the integrity of the game. Abolish the rules. Let's practice our own truths. That's what we've gotten very very good at these days.

Sosa and McGwire used PED's to give them a drastic competitive advantage. What Louisville did was wrong and should have been punished, but did Louisville gain an unfair competitive advantage against Michigan because their players ****ed a few prostitutes? No.

Reactions: CardsFan2112
Does anyone know any Michigan fans? Would be curious to hear if they still claim their final four appearances with the fab 5.

It would be different if they won it with Kareem on their team or something like that. But it was vacated because the kids got laid. That didn't help them win. They were the best team in that tournament and you can bet your ass that everyone on here would claim the title if we won with Chris Mills and Eric Manuel. So get off of your high horse on this one.
BFD

Sosa and McGwire used PED's to give them a drastic competitive advantage. What Louisville did was wrong and should have been punished, but did Louisville gain an unfair competitive advantage against Michigan because their players ****ed a few prostitutes? No.
Not the point. Did they break the rules? Yes or no. And that depends on your definition of advantage. Did recruits choose UofL over other schools because of that? If so, then yes, that's an advantage because if they did they wouldn't have been on the court otherwise.

They claim the title because they won it fair & square. They gained no unfair advantage over anyone by having a few nasty whores in their dorm. Unlike North Carolina who DID GAIN AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE over everyone else by having their players enrolled in classes that a 5 year old kid could pass. Less time studying, more time to practice basketball, that's an unfair advantage. Not what Louisville did.
Fair and square spare me

Reactions: gojvc and KFuqua
DMbzrONWkAMBaMe.jpg:large

Reactions: WILDCAT WILLIE69
It was. Louisville won it at the time, but was found to have violated several recruiting rules therefore the title was revoked due to their cheating.

Two things can be true at once.
Do you think them having strippers and such had any effect on them winning the title?

The ones defending Louisville have clearly never lived in Louisville.
What does the injustice
Looks like most on here are using the "selective rules" argument, meaning that because they got laid it's ok. They're called "impermissible benefits". You can't pick and choose.
Please. How many “impermissible benefits” by the NCAA cash cows have been ignored? The entire thing is a sham. UofL’s mistake was not lawyering up and telling the NCAA to shove it, like UNC and Kansas. They cooperated and paid.

Reactions: CardsFan2112
Do you think them having strippers and such had any effect on them winning the title?
Did other schools provide strippers? Did it violate the rules? Yes or No? If it lured recruits to the school and those recruits played (which they did), the yes, it gave them an advantage.

See a lot of UofL ass kissing in this thread. And frankly it’s a little sad.

They cheated, they got caught. Title vacated. Man, I don’t get it. Why the crap are some of of you defending them. If it were reveresed?? Seriously? Bull. If it were reversed UofL would be giving us absolute HELL. And you all know it.

But sure. Let us feel pity for LOUISVILLE. Good freaking grief.

Here’s the real kicker. Had it not been Pitino at the helm would some of you even care?
I get the sentiment. I loathe UofL more than any other program not named Duke.

But, the erasing of records has always been silly to me. I attended their two NCAA games at Rupp. I watched Kevin Ware’s leg snap in two. I watched Luke Hancock shoot like Klay Thompson in Atlanta. As much as I wish those games never happened…they did. They won it, their fans felt the same way we did the previous year. You can erase the record books but you’ll never be able to erase what their fans felt in the moment.

PS - we did crush their souls the very next year and all was right with the world. Knocking them out of the tournament 2 out of 3 years will be a memory I’ll forever cherish.

Reactions: WILDCAT WILLIE69
I get the sentiment. I loathe UofL more than any other program not named Duke.

But, the erasing of records has always been silly to me. I attended their two NCAA games at Rupp. I watched Kevin Ware’s leg snap in two. I watched Luke Hancock shoot like Klay Thompson in Atlanta. As much as I wish those games never happened…they did. They won it, their fans felt the same way we did the previous year. You can erase the record books but you’ll never be able to erase what their fans felt in the moment.

PS - we did crush their souls the very next year and all was right with the world. Knocking them out of the tournament 2 out of 3 years will be a memory I’ll forever cherish.
That's great they felt that way. All cheaters love when their cheating pays off. While the games may have happened, they don't count. So if a person cheats at a game of poker or blackjack, does he get to keep his winnings? No, of course not.

Moral of the story: Don't cheat. Or if you're going to (I'm not naive enough to believe that no one bends the rules) don't completely shatter them. UofL completely broke the rules, and then after getting caught, they broke more!

If you cheat and are caught, you suffer the consequences and that can include losing the gains you had made while cheating.

What does the injustice

Please. How many “impermissible benefits” by the NCAA cash cows have been ignored? The entire thing is a sham. UofL’s mistake was not lawyering up and telling the NCAA to shove it, like UNC and Kansas. They cooperated and paid.
What-aboutism..."but officer I was only doing 89, and the guy in front of me was doing 90".

Reactions: crestcat
I would too. This isn't the old days where we still pretend the NCAA has any morale standing.

If UCLA can claim theirs buying everyone in the 70s (worse stuff going on than UL). UNC can claim theirs faking eligibility for 30 years. Kansas having Snoop shoot sneaker money out of a t-shirt cannon. I'll give UL a pass for ignoring the NCAA nonsense cause they had some trashy hooker parties for dudes. 😄

I think you are wrong about players being obtained through illicit means. They used prostitutes for recruiting purposes from 2010 through 2014. Aside from the fact that paying for prostitutes is providing players with illegal benefits, it also helped them recruit players that played on the championship team. I don't get the desire to overlook their cheating. Had that been UK, I would still feel like the championship wasn't earned and we don't deserve to claim it. They cheated to get recruits and they got caught. Had they been caught before 2013, that team would have been without the services of some players and probably would not have been eligible to play in the tournament to begin with.
Exactly. They wouldn't have won it had they not cheated to get their recruits. It is a tarnished and doesn't count.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
When I was at UK in the 50s, recruits on visits got laid by sorority girls that were picked to do that job. They weren't paid (as far as I know), but it is the same thing. I don't consider hiring whores for recruits the same as getting caught paying recruits, but when I was in school we paid our recruits like everyone else did. I don't like UL, but they won on the court and our fans are being disingenuous if they are going to die on the hill that they wouldn't have claimed the title if the same thing happened here.

Reactions: Lamar Card
When I was at UK in the 50s, recruits on visits got laid by sorority girls that were picked to do that job. They weren't paid (as far as I know), but it is the same thing. I don't consider hiring whores for recruits the same as getting caught paying recruits, but when I was in school we paid our recruits like everyone else did. I don't like UL, but they won on the court and our fans are being disingenuous if they are going to die on the hill that they wouldn't have claimed the title if the same thing happened here.
Bingo. It has been going on for years and probably at every major college there is. I have a buddy that played football for UVA and he told me it happened on every single recruiting visit he went on

It was VACATED by NCAA all wins and prize
money forfeited All banners and signage removed
Are they just stupid or maybe a magic cloud will obliterate the cheating and ineligible players Pitino played
Any uavel goobers I ask how many titles
They have the answer is 3
This is the question “what do the Loch Ness
Monster Bigfoot and the 2013 NCAA Title have in common?”
They never happened!
Because no one gives a shit about the NCAA. Better question is why are you worried about Louisville? I live in Knoxville surrounded by orange and I don’t think about them as often as you guys think of UL.

I mean I’ve always thought vacating accomplishments was stupid lol. I saw it happen. Reggie bush won the heismen trophy lol I idgaf what the NCAA try’s to say
Again, if someone cheats at a card game, should it count? "Seeing it happen" doesn't make it ultimately valid.

So should Medina's Spirit STILL be the 2021 Derby winner even after failing a drug test, just because we all "sAw It HapPeN?"

If it was PROVEN we broke the rules and we were caught, I guess I'm one of those "disingenuous" people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT