ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Stoops call timeout with 120 left in half

I really want to know his thought process. No one that has ever seen him coach a game thought he was going to aggressively try to score. I just don’t understand.

We consistently lose the last 4:00 of the first half. It’s a problem.

I’m sure this is stoops’ idea of being aggressive but he is an idiot. With them punting from midfield we were not going to have any type of field position that would warrant us trying to put points on the board. He is the worst game manager I have ever seen at this level. He always does the opposite of what should be done.

Mullen dragged his scrotum in Stoops face with early fake punt so ol Mark calls a timeout to make sure his team gets lined up for midfield punt but then totally out thinks himself ignoring field position and time out situation

Stoops plays beginners checkers other coaches play chess

And yet any other coach in America is up 3 at halftime

And how does the punter and coverage unit not be on same page on punt they call left middle or right in huddle

Stoops has reached his zenith

A rapid decline has begun Humpty Dumpty starting to crack

Maybe he likes that time. 1:20 is a nice number. As good a time as any.

I have no idea. Seems arbitrary

1. I agree it was a pure dumb idea and it burned us.
2. But let's play devils advocate for a seceond.

let's say the punt went thru the endzone instead of at the 2 yard line and UK starts on our own 20. Do you really think UK was going get in FG position in 1:20?

Stoops just has no feeling on when to be aggressive and when to not be aggressive. The bigger nail in coffin is Stoops has no scheme to be able to play aggresive. Without Wagner who was good for some sideline routes or pass interference.....but outside of him in 8 years.....when did we have a WR to be a big play guy? Badet could hit some off of play action...but we've never had a big play ability much in 8 years.

Reactions: UKat1 and THE_OAK

let's say the punt went thru the endzone instead of at the 2 yard line and UK starts on our own 20. Do you really think UK was going get in FG position in 1:20?

Stoops just has no feeling on when to be aggressive and when to not be aggressive. The bigger nail in coffin is Stoops has no scheme to be able to play aggresive. Without Wagner who was good for some sideline routes or pass interference.....but outside of him in 8 years.....when did we have a WR to be a big play guy? Badet could hit some off of play action...but we've never had a big play ability much in 8 years.
No, he wasn't even going try to score which makes it that much dumber.

Reactions: UKat1
No, he wasn't even going try to score which makes it that much dumber.
Exactly, no f’ing way Stoops is aggressive there no matter what, that is why that timeout was so bizarre. I mean there are countless examples of him not going for it in his career. Obviously UK prob still loses, but I mean damn, can we not play 1 game without a stupidass self inflicted mistake?

He wanted to make sure Florida had enough time to score before halftime so he could make adjustments at halftime so Florida could score 3 more times before we get another first down.

Game manager extraordinaire.

Florida was just gonna let clock run down and punt

how stupid can a coach be
He has been criticized for not calling time out in exactly that situation a game or two ago. Of course he should have foreseen that the punt would go out of bounds inside one. Just proves he's a lousy coach and his critics are right.

honestly I don’t think stoops thought of preserving time for our offensive to be aggressive rather he didn’t want our defense to get caught off guard again on 4th down. Post game however he stated was the one that called for return coverage on their 4th and 3 punt leaving them an easy fake punt opportunity. Stoops just seems to always make the wrong call, he needs to pull a costanza and start goingthe opposite way of every instinct he has during a game.

Reactions: UKat1 and THE_OAK
He has been criticized for not calling time out in exactly that situation a game or two ago. Of course he should have foreseen that the punt would go out of bounds inside one. Just proves he's a lousy coach and his critics are right.
UK was gonna inside the 20 no matter what, you really think Stoops is gonna be aggressive in that situation?

Reactions: gojvc
For whatever reason Stoops always struggles with end of half clock management. It's bizarre because his end of game clock management is amazing.

Several times during his tenure we ran the game clock all the way down and won or almost won in the last 30 seconds of a game.

It defies any explanation

If you are willing to throw the football and trying to score it would of been different. Instead we were running the football and just looking for a first down to keep Florida from getting the ball.

UK was gonna inside the 20 no matter what, you really think Stoops is gonna be aggressive in that situation?
Don't know about the 20, but no coach, with the possible exception of Maryland's Mike Locksley (8-42 as a head coach), would be aggressive from the 1/2 yard line.

If you are willing to throw the football and trying to score it would of been different. Instead we were running the football and just looking for a first down to keep Florida from getting the ball.
That's right. From the 1/2 yard line, getting the first down was the first consideration. In hindsight, he should not have called timeout. But as I said, had he not, there would have been just as much criticism

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Not an apples to apple comparison.

1. UGA game, we get an Int at the UGA 35 with over 2 minutes to go into halftime....he promptly runs out Gatewood to run up the middle twice....like a total wuss. And we were down 14-3 I think. We needed to score.
2. Today it was 1:20 and UF was punting from the 50 and we were up 10-7.

Totally different scenarios. It is just mind blowing how inept he is at feeling when and when not to be aggressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT