ADVERTISEMENT

Who would be the most vulnerable one seed IYO?

Zags because their last 20 games will come against teams not ranked.
Plus they have only played 3 games v ranked teams all season and are 1-2.

Reactions: struggler
No way it's dook, u can bet the crooked NCAA referees will make sure they are protected all the way to the national championship. No way they lose with Zion, wont be allowed to happen.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick
Virginia.

Same system that's been a flaming bag of dog crap in the NCAA tournament, and mostly the same players who got their ass kicked by a 16 seed last year. They also failed to step up against Duke, by far the best team they've played this year. They have a few quality wins, but not all that many, and they've played a lot of close games.

Very, very easy to see them bombing out in the first 3 games.

Has to be in the back of their minds.
It goes beyond that. They've failed in every NCAA tournament that Tony Bennett has coached. And I don't mean "came up a little short of expectations", I mean flat-out fell on their faces.

Here's Bennett's tournament results at Virginia starting in 2014, which was their breakout year:

14: 1 seed, lose to Michigan State in the Sweet 16. If you're a 1, and you don't make the Elite 8, that's a failure
15: 2 seed, lose to Michigan State in the 2nd round (Virginia fans must love Mich St.)
16: 1 seed, make Elite 8. Which sounds fine, but then they lost to 10 seed Syracuse.
17: 5 seed, lose in the 2nd round. Which is playing to seed, and doesn't sound terrible, except they lost by 26 to 4 seed Florida.
18: 1 seed, set history in a really spectacularly bad way by losing to a 16 seed.

Virginia has earned less than 0 benefit of the doubt. They've found a way to thrive in the ACC, but have shown absolutely nothing that indicates that people should take them seriously as a title contender. They are very reminiscent of the DePaul program of the early 80's, a series of being the "this can't really happen again" upset victim (where it does keep happening again, over and over and over).

No way it's dook, u can bet the crooked NCAA referees will make sure they are protected all the way to the national championship. No way they lose with Zion, wont be allowed to happen.

Unfortunately you're right. Rest assured they'll be in the Final 4 at the very least. And if we're in their region and we meet up in the Elite 8, expect another John Higgins-type raping of UK by the officials, worse than what was done to us against North Carolina in 2017.

Reactions: howercat
Zags going out first day of second weekend. VAgina goes out second day of second weekend. (They won't loose to a 16 again)

Whoever is the 4th one seed. Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina. Whoever gets it.

This is the answer. Thinking Duke is going out early this year is akin to whistling past the graveyard. Virginia actually has an offense this year. They are legit. And the Zags may be vulnerable, but not nearly as vulnerable as we would be.

I took off my blue-tinted glasses on Saturday and they ain't going back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aike
I won't say Duke.. but I do think the ACC isn't as good, top to bottom, as it was in recent years. UVA does not matchup well against them. FSU and UofL basically handed them games. The rest of the ACC, meh.

When Duke faces teams of inferior talent, they will blow them out.. but when you put them up against comparable talent, it's almost an entirely different look.

Tony Bennett and Virginia have a history of tanking in the NCAA Tournament since his first tournament appearance at Virginia in 2014:

2014 - 1 seed, lost to a 4 seed
2015 - 2 seed, lost to a 7 seed
2016 - 1 seed, lost to a 10 seed
2017 - 5 seed, lost to a 4 (by 26 points)
2018 - 1 seed, lost to a 16 (by 20 points)

In 2 of the last 3 years, they have lost to a double digit seed as a 1 seed. To put that into context, since 1980 (when the NCAA started giving seeds) UK has been a 1 seed 12 times and lost to a double digit seed once. UVA has done it twice in a row.

I'm taking UVA.

UVA's struggles are based on their lack of offense. Someone can always get hot against you and their grind it out offensive style is just not conducive to making comebacks.

That's why some of their losses are as large as they are. When they get double digits behind and have to speed up it usually gets worse.

As someone noted they do have more offense this year. They lost at home to Duke by 10 in a game where Duke shot like 64% from 3 and made a bunch of them. That tells me this current bunch is better than most of the past.

That said, I would rather the Cats have to play them than Duke or UNC.

Big game for UVA @ Syracuse tonite. Only chance for a loss before tourneys. UL is not going to beat them in the regular season finale.

I think it's best for UK if UVA wins out.

1. Gonzaga. They’re good but I just think you can’t get ready for the tourney by playing garbage teams. They need to break the mold and somehow schedule Jan, Feb and March OOC games.

2. UVA. All it takes is getting inexplicably hot from 3.

3. Duke. One knee or cold night from 3 from losing.

Virginia - that style doesn't parlay to the big dance
Gonzaga - no competition for a while.

Duke, if Williams is not 100% and it's not even close. Duke is an average team at best without him, and is the only team in the world who could lose 2 of 3 games and still maintain a #1 seed.
Setting them up for another Sweet 16 beatdown by a 4 seed or lower.

Last edited:
UVA's struggles are based on their lack of offense. Someone can always get hot against you and their grind it out offensive style is just not conducive to making comebacks.

That's why some of their losses are as large as they are. When they get double digits behind and have to speed up it usually gets worse.

As someone noted they do have more offense this year. They lost at home to Duke by 10 in a game where Duke shot like 64% from 3 and made a bunch of them. That tells me this current bunch is better than most of the past.

That said, I would rather the Cats have to play them than Duke or UNC.

Big game for UVA @ Syracuse tonite. Only chance for a loss before tourneys. UL is not going to beat them in the regular season finale.

I think it's best for UK if UVA wins out.
I see very little difference. They're shooting slightly better than last year, but then again, the ACC is probably weaker overall than it was last year. And they still play at a snail pace (dead last in D1, just like last year) that I think makes it nearly impossible for them to win 6 tournament games in a row.

Hell, I think it makes it hard for them to win 3 in a row. Their lack of tournament success isn't just confined to the NCAA tournament- they've also performed below expectations in the ACC Tournament. They won it last year for the first time under Bennett, but prior to that, they lost to Notre Dame in 17, to UNC in 16 and 15 (both times after beating them in the regular season), and to Duke in 14. Tough competition, but in each of the losses, they entered the game as the higher ranked team.

The best postseason win on Bennett's resume is probably beating a not great UNC team in the ACC final last year. Either that, or beating Iowa St. in the 2016 Sweet 16.

Bennett will probably at least break through to a FF at some point, but until he loosens the reins, I think it's going to be tough.

IF we get a 1 seed, the way we play on some nights, UK would be. Second round against a battle tested Power 5 team, if we have a off night, Audi for us. Say like a Syracuse or someone of that nature.

Without Reid, I’d say us honestly. But we’ll have him back so I’d say Gonzaga. But this year there is no clear cut favorite by no means so I think pretty much all 1 seeds will be equal.

my vote goes to Virginia then Gonzaga, Virginia because their style of offensive play and the zags because of their schedule, you only get better by playing better teams

1. Gonzaga. They’re good but I just think you can’t get ready for the tourney by playing garbage teams. They need to break the mold and somehow schedule Jan, Feb and March OOC games.

2. UVA. All it takes is getting inexplicably hot from 3.

3. Duke. One knee or cold night from 3 from losing.
Would love to see the Zags and Cats sign for home/home series.

As been mentioned, UVA’s style doesn’t win in March. Although they have better shooters this year than in years past, I don’t think they can score enough to win more than a couple games in a row. The Zags have been on cruise control since November and I think it’s hard to cruise that long then be able to turn it on in one tough game. It’s like muscle memory. They get used to playing laxed and half speed. I think the first team they see with any talent at all and their gone. After them I’d say us or UT. Whoever gets the last 1 seed. We can’t seem to put together good to great performances for more than a game or two and we’ll get bit by an 8 or 9 seed. Maybe a 4/5 the second weekend. We just take too many games off at bad times. Too many guys on our roster disappear when we need them the most. And any team with length and size will bother UT. They’ll see a more of those the more they win. I’m goin with UVA as the first 1 seed out. Zags the second. Then us or UT, whoever gets the last 1. Even if it’s Carolina. Duke will be the last 1 seed standing. Especially with a healthy Zion.

Whoever is the 4th one seed. Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina. Whoever gets it.
Does the overall No. 1 seed get placed in a bracket with the weakest No. 2 seed, or how does that work?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT