ADVERTISEMENT

Who was UK's best dunker?

As nasty as Hami could be in warm ups and in dunk contests, he rarely ever dunked in games (remarkably). He doesn’t deserve mention in this thread because I presume we’re talking about in game dunkers.

Kenny Walker was slightly before my time (I was alive, just too young to really remember). For me, Derek Anderson, Kelenna Azubuike, John Wall, Malik Monk. And I’ll give another write in vote for Willie Cauly Stein. His last year at Kentucky he took some dude’s souls.

vPTkMYy.jpg

Naming all those old timers is cool, and nostalgic, but none of them dudes (Walker, James Lee, Charles Hurt) wanna go be in a dunk contest vs Monk, Diallo, Wall, or even Darius Miller.

Naming all those old timers is cool, and nostalgic, but none of them dudes (Walker, James Lee, Charles Hurt) wanna go be in a dunk contest vs Monk, Diallo, Wall, or even Darius Miller.

Like I said in my last post on the subject, I’d like to think this post is about in game dunking and not dunk contests. Hami probably had less than 10 dunks total in his year at Kentucky.

My favorite Walker dunk was at florida...Sky catches an entry pass deep in the paint...about 4 feet in front of the goal...and goes straight back up for a short turn-around jumper that he'd do where he'd just jump however high he needed to in order to get a clean look. As he gets to the peak of his jump, he kind of looks down at (I believe) DeWayne Schintzus (sp), who had the temerity to actually try and jump w/ Kenny. I guess Sky decided he needed a little lesson, because instead of shooting his jump shot, he threw down as nasty a dunk as I've ever seen. He had to bend at the waist to get the length to reach the rim; he was so far away he couldn't reach it with arm length alone.

Anybody else remember that one specifically?

One of the best dunkers was James Lee. He was a beast when he dunked the ball. When Kentucky did the Senior tour he came to Mayfield and took two basketballs and dunked so hard that the net flipped one of the basketballs back out the net. Also he dunked a basketball so hard that it broke or almost the fingers of a Russian player that was 7 foot plus during a exhibition game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT