ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the first UK player to dunk in a game?

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Joe Fortenberry is credited as the first basketball player ever to dunk, in 1936, while playing in the Amateur Athletic Union: Wikipedia: Slam Dunk.

320px-Joe_Fortenberry.jpg

Wikipedia said:
Joe Fortenberry, playing for the McPherson Globe Refiners, dunked the ball in 1936 in Madison Square Garden. The feat was immortalized by Arthur Daley, Pulitzer Prize winning sports writer for The New York Times in an article in March 1936. He wrote that Joe Fortenberry and his teammate, Willard Schmidt, instead of shooting up for a layup, leaped up and "pitch[ed] the ball downward into the hoop, much like a cafeteria customer dunking a roll in coffee".

And Basketball and College Basketball Hall-of-Famer Bob Kurland is credited with the first dunk in college basketball, in 1944: NCAA: The story behind the first known dunk in college basketball history.

ghnewsok-OK-3888338-239e0c10.jpeg

Andy Wittry said:
In 1944, college basketball saw its first-ever dunk, when Oklahoma A&M's Bob "Foothills" Kurland dunked by accident. Yes, you read that correctly.

Kurland, one of the first 7-foot centers, is credited with the first dunk in college basketball history when his Oklahoma A&M Aggies, which has since been renamed to Oklahoma State, played Temple.

"The ball happened to be under the basket. I got it up and stuffed it in. That started it, I guess,” the late Kurland told the Orlando Sentinel in 2012. "It was an unintentional accident. It wasn't planned, just a spontaneous play in Philadelphia.

So...who was the first Kentucky player ever to dunk? I know Rupp had mixed feelings about dunking and didn't allow it for a while -- Jon Scott: Adolph Rupp: Fact and Fiction.

Jon Scott said:
Kentucky would make some rallies as the game progressed but the strong inside play of David Lattin and the consistent ball-handling and solid free-throw shooting of the Western guards ensured the victory.

"We had no idea what we were getting into," [Pat] Riley said. "In those days, players didn't dunk. I hadn't seen anyone dunk. Guys barely jumped high enough to stick a dollar bill under their shoes. But these guys came out, and after they had dunked on me about three times, I knew they had a lot more to accomplish than we did." - by Jere Longman, Philadelphia Inquirer, "Forget the Glitter, Riley is a Coach of Substance," June 8, 1987.

Jon Scott said:
I haven't really discussed this in detail on this page but the topic of Rupp's view on dunking is complicated. It is true that he was in favor of the ban on dunking at the time it was announced in 1967, although it's not clear that he lobbied for the rule change and he was not a member of the rules committee at the time the rule was passed. One thing people today don't seem to recognize is that at the time with exposed hooks for the basketball net, dunking was a potentially dangerous maneuver and the threat of seriously hurting your hand or even losing a finger was real. In addition, if the goal was damaged it often led to game postponements as most places didn't have backup goals readily available.

While Rupp generally was against the dunk through much of his career. Lou Tsioropoulos noted that Rupp allowed the players to dunk in practice but not in games. Despite this, his players did indeed dunk from time to time in the 1950's and 1960's at least, including a memorable break-away dunk by Bill Spivey in a game vs. Kansas and rival big man Clyde Lovellette. Marion Cluggish, 6-8 center who played for Rupp in the late 30's to early 40's, was known to dunk in pregame warmups at Rupp's request in order to intimidate opponents. In an interview after his retirement, Rupp was quoted as saying about the dunk: "I really think it should be a part of basketball," said Rupp. "I was violently opposed to it, but after thinking about it for two or three years, I think it has a spot in basketball." (Eugene (OR) Register-Guard, May 1, 1976)

On Spivey and that Kansas game:

Wikipedia said:
Kentucky played a much-anticipated game versus Kansas on December 16, 1950, with Spivey matched up against Jayhawks center Clyde Lovellette. The Wildcats won by 29 points as Spivey outplayed Lovellette, in what he later called the best performance of his college career. After one steal, he drove to the Kansas basket and did a slam dunk; this was rare for Kentucky basketball at the time, as Rupp instructed players not to dunk during games.

Sounds like it might've been Bill Spivey. Does anyone here know for sure? :)

Reactions: chroix
The first real dunk that stands out to me was Dr J with the windmill. Total game changer. Got me hooked.

Edit: obviously not Kentucky just a random memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffky
Dan issel dunked it one time regardless of what rupp told the team man they said rupp was pissed at his big man rupp is turning over in his grave now with all the high flying acrobatic dunks ball dribbling between the legs and behind the back passes you did not do that on a adolph rupp coached team

You don't have to believe me. No skin off my back. You also don't have to believe I was voted best hair in my HS senior class.

The hair I do believe I can see that. I used to do some crazy sht with my bangs in 01. The dunking…gonna need a VHS recording of that.

The hair I do believe I can see that. I used to do some crazy sht with my bangs in 01. The dunking…gonna need a VHS recording of that.
If only we all had phones then. If you knew I was a pretty good high jumper and a county champ in the 200M, would that make it more believable? Actually, growing up playing lots of Gus Mackers and pickup open gyms, there were plenty of white dudes my size that could put one down just screwing around between games. I can count on one hand the amount of dudes I ever saw throw one down in a real HS game for my tiny HS, for any class, over the years.

If only we all had phones then. If you knew I was a pretty good high jumper and a county champ in the 200M, would that make it more believable? Actually, growing up playing lots of Gus Mackers and pickup open gyms, there were plenty of white dudes my size that could put one down just screwing around between games. I can count on one hand the amount of dudes I ever saw throw one down in a real HS game for my tiny HS, for any class, over the years.

Nah I’m just comlexin. I couldn’t dunk. I’d jump up and swipe the net see how close I could get. My dad used to pick me up and I’d slam it down, the rim seemed so big to me.

Now shooting, nah. They could do a 30 for 30 on my form.

It wasn’t banned until a decade after Wilt’s college career.

It was more Kareem who made the ban happen. In fact, it was often jokingly called “the Lew Alcindor rule” for that reason.
You're right Kareem got the two confused 😵

You don't have to believe me. No skin off my back. You also don't have to believe I was voted best hair in my HS senior class.
I know all kinds of 6'2 white boys who can dunk in warmups in HS so don't worry what ppl say. I say all kinds, but actually I know a few who could. Not all kinds as in Alot. Look at Jeff Sheppard throwing em down at 6'3 like a black boy. He was once in HS and was doing the same then. He just so happen to have the rest of the game to go with it.

You're right Kareem got the two confused 😵
It's crazy that John Wooden loved that rule too with the talent he had who could dunk without jumping basically but he loved layups. So he was all for the no dunking rule. I think Nellie was giving him drugs in his coffee before he was off to practice/ games lol.

It wasn’t banned until a decade after Wilt’s college career.

It was more Kareem who made the ban happen. In fact, it was often jokingly called “the Lew Alcindor rule” for that reason.
It's crazy that John Wooden was all for no dunking. It's crazy to me he preferred layups with the guys he had.

Joe Fortenberry is credited as the first basketball player ever to dunk, in 1936, while playing in the Amateur Athletic Union: Wikipedia: Slam Dunk.

320px-Joe_Fortenberry.jpg

And Basketball and College Basketball Hall-of-Famer Bob Kurland is credited with the first dunk in college basketball, in 1944: NCAA: The story behind the first known dunk in college basketball history.

ghnewsok-OK-3888338-239e0c10.jpeg

So...who was the first Kentucky player ever to dunk? I know Rupp had mixed feelings about dunking and didn't allow it for a while -- Jon Scott: Adolph Rupp: Fact and Fiction.

On Spivey and that Kansas game:

Sounds like it might've been Bill Spivey. Does anyone here know for sure? :)
My question is. Who was the first UK player to dunk in a game after the dunk was reinstated back into college basketball in 1976?..... I would guess James Lee maybe Rick Robey. Does anyone know for sure

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT