ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the better pure shooter Kevin Grevey or Ron Mercer

IMHO, the only players who are reasonable to include with Grevey in this question were Dampier, Minniefield, Macy, Givens, Mashburn, and Doron Lamb. Jim Dinwiddie was a really good shooter too, but Jim didn't take nearly as many shots as the other players whom I've mentioned. For the money shot, I'd flip a coin between Grevey and Dampier. Give me Grevey by a nose over the others. As Doc said ... give me Grevey goin' away against Mercer.
Tony Delk would like a word.

Reactions: drleary
Good lord. What a stupid post.

I could see if it Lamb and Grevey. Mercer? You continuous have some of the stupidest posts on this board.

IMHO, the only players who are reasonable to include with Grevey in this question were Dampier, Minniefield, Macy, Givens, Mashburn, and Doron Lamb. Jim Dinwiddie was a really good shooter too, but Jim didn't take nearly as many shots as the other players whom I've mentioned. For the money shot, I'd flip a coin between Grevey and Dampier. Give me Grevey by a nose over the others. As Doc said ... give me Grevey goin' away against Mercer.
Travis Ford should be on this list in my opinion. 52% from 3 in 92-93 season, 44% overall at UK.

Minniefield? Dirk was just an ok shooter.

Reactions: Wally2000
Minniefield? I don't know his career stats, but he was not a good, let alone great, outside shooter. He was a great athlete, that much I can agree with, but he was never a good shooter and to mention him in the same sentence with Grevey or Dampier is crazy. Cameron Mills was a great open shooter as was Jim Master, but neither were great athletes or complete players. So if we're talking horse players, then guys like Mills, GJ Smith, Master and a bunch of others deserve mention. If we're talking great shooters as well as great players, then Dampier, Grevey, Mike Casey (prior to breaking his leg), Doron Lamb, Tony Delk and Kyle Macy would be on that list. Jack Givens, Jamal Murray and maybe Emanuel Quickly would be on it as well. Dinwiddie was only a part-time starter his junior year and if memory serves, he only started one game his senior year. I can recall him being a decent shooter, but a reluctant one to the point that Rupp told him to either shoot when he was open or he was coming out of games.

Last edited:

A lot of similarities there. I never saw Grevey play but if you subtract Mercer's 3pt attempts his career percentage is like 54%. Mercer made a lot of goals at rim but also had a deadly mid range game coming of curls.

Hard for me to argue either way but I know Mercer went off in the biggest moment of the year in '96 and carried UK to NCAAT game in '97.

I had the privilege of seeing both play many times. Although Mercer was a phenomenal player capable of uncanny athleticism, Kevin was one of the most “pure” shooters I’ve witnessed in a UK uniform. That left handed jump shot was as smooth as silk.

You might want to include Travis Ford
Don't like Ford as a person. In the Maui Tournament I went around getting autographs on the UK Team table card at the pre-tourn dinner. Traviis refused to sign it. Hence. my opinion. That was the Maui when the last second tip won the Tourn for the RP led Cats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT