ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the better pure shooter Kevin Grevey or Ron Mercer

IMHO, the only players who are reasonable to include with Grevey in this question were Dampier, Minniefield, Macy, Givens, Mashburn, and Doron Lamb. Jim Dinwiddie was a really good shooter too, but Jim didn't take nearly as many shots as the other players whom I've mentioned. For the money shot, I'd flip a coin between Grevey and Dampier. Give me Grevey by a nose over the others. As Doc said ... give me Grevey goin' away against Mercer.

Last edited:
IMHO, the only players who are reasonable to include with Grevey in this question were Dampier, Minniefield, Macy, Givens, Mashburn, and Doron Lamb. Jim Dinwiddie was a really good shooter too, but Jim didn't take nearly as many shots in his career as the other players whom I've mentioned. For the money shot, I'd flip a coin between Grevey and Dampier. Give me Grevey by a nose over the others. As Doc said ... give me Grevey goin' away against Mercer.
Shidler gets an honorable mention if we are shooting 23 feet+

Mercer was more of a slasher and midrange shooter. He got a lot of his points cutting across the lane at the foul line.

Grevey was my favorite player because he was a lefty and as much as I like him he was more of a volume shooter than "great" shooter. Dont get me wrong, he was a good shooter and better than average and had great range and could go on great streaks, but he could go on some dry ones too, so I wouldn't say he was a deadly shooter. But he definately never passed up a shot.

Reactions: Cychologist
This really shouldn’t even be a question. The answer is Grevey.

However, if you’re looking for UK‘s best at working off the ball at getting a 17’ jumper…and knocking it down, then Mercer is your guy. Chris Miller wasn’t too shabby either.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Mercer wasn't even best on his teams, Delk Anderson Epps Sheppard were better
Ill buy the other 3 but Epps? I dont think so.
I remember thinking it was a miracle when Epps sent the Arizona Title gm into OT with a very late 3.

IMHO, the only players who are reasonable to include with Grevey in this question were Dampier, Minniefield, Macy, Givens, Mashburn, and Doron Lamb. Jim Dinwiddie was a really good shooter too, but Jim didn't take nearly as many shots as the other players whom I've mentioned. For the money shot, I'd flip a coin between Grevey and Dampier. Give me Grevey by a nose over the others. As Doc said ... give me Grevey goin' away against Mercer.

Murray or Ford?

Interesting thought (probably fact) involving Ron Mercer. Had the ping pong balls bounced right (they had 2 of the top chances in the lottery) and the Celtics would have got Tim Duncan (instead of Chauncey Billups and Mercer), Rick Pitino would never had ended up at U of L.

You might want to include Travis Ford

I never saw Grevey play I heard he was a sharp shooter

hateyou-i-hate-you.gif

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Both fantastic, you leave Ford open I considered it money! Wow great memories of both

Yeah Ford was a helluva lot better his JR yr when he had Mash.

He turned into primary guy his SR yr and it proved to be too much... especially after Dent with down with knee.

No Travis Ford on the finalists list? Dude shot 50% from the 3 his jr. season

To answer the OP's question....sorry, not sorry it is Mercer.

1. 51.74 vs 48.30...,but no 3 point line for Grevey and guarantee you that would have pulled his percentage down a bit.

2. Mercer went for 20 in NCAAT game on 8/12 and 3/4... immediate legend status

3. Go watch Mercer tape lighting up Tim Thomas coming off curls in '97

Game over

To answer the OP's question....sorry, not sorry it is Mercer.

1. 51.74 vs 48.30...,but no 3 point line for Grevey and guarantee you that would have pulled his percentage down a bit.

2. Mercer went for 20 in NCAAT game on 8/12 and 3/4... immediate legend status

3. Go watch Mercer tape lighting up Tim Thomas coming off curls in '97

Game over
Mercer was an assassin off the curl. Deadly. Loved his game.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Wow did not realize that

Epps is one of the most underrated players to ever play at UK tbh. Amazing PG and was perfect fit for some of those stacked teams in '90's.

40% 3FG
544/189 assist to turnover...incredbile

2nd all time in UK assist history
6th all time in UK steals history
19th all time 3 pt %
12th all time 3 pt makes
23rd all tIme FT % (82%)

• Love
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT