ADVERTISEMENT

Whelp, there it is.....the dumbest thing I'll read today.

Like how is that even a valid opinion?

Besides that, ,I pose the question to the board....is Reeves a Top 20 Cal era dude?

I say yes.
Everyone values players differently. NBA success, draft status, etc... influences people's opinion. For me, the question focuses only on their impact on their UK career.

Oscar and Reeves are both top 20 players in the Cal era. Unfortunately, they had little tournament success. Nothing against Briscoe or Hagans, but Reeves is ahead of both of them in my eyes.

Cousins
Wall
Lamb
TJ
Knight
AD
MKG
Noel
Randle
Towns
Ulis
Murray
Fox
Monk
Bam
SGA

It gets tougher post 2018. I'd say Oscar, Reeves, PJ n the latter stretch. Shep was great for his one year. Herro was solid.

You see less really talented players the 2nd half od caliparis tenure and results show it post 2017 really.

He’s top 20 and if you want to see a real value in a player I’d argue it’s who produces in meaningful ways without the talent. Reeves isn’t overly athletic, he isn’t very fast, he’s not what you’d call a real talent for the game but he produced to the level of guys that have huge wing spans, crazy heights, insane verts etc.

It’s also the reason, to me, Randle is the second best player of the Calipari era. Small hands, doesn’t have the wing span, isn’t overly talented but beasted guys that were far superior by birth. Knight is the same way and probably my favorite guard of the Calipari era for that reason.

I won’t even dignify the nonsense about Hagans or Briscoe with a response. That’s just stupid.

Besides that, ,I pose the question to the board....is Reeves a Top 20 Cal era dude?

I say yes.
I don’t think Reeves was a top 20 player due to his defense. It was legitimately awful and statistically one of the worst in the entire SEC. His overall efficiency was worse than Edwards’ because his defense dragged it down so much.

Offensively he was obviously another story and was incredible by his final year. But his defense really hurt him overall.

Reactions: RunninRichie
In no particular order:

AD
Wall
Fox
Maxey
Cousins
KAT
Murray
Ulis
MKG
Oscar
Quickley
Randle
Herro
Bledsoe
Knight

There’s 15. Might have forgotten an obvious one???

No reason Reeves isn’t right after these guys or maybe even ahead of a few of them.

So yes, top 20.
The only omission that jumps out at me, Jamal, is Malik Monk. But I agree. Reeves is Top 20.

First Team All-SEC players under Cal

Patrick Patterson​
DeMarcus Cousins​
John Wall​
Terrence Jones​
Brandon Knight​
Anthony Davis​
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist​
Nerlens Noel​
Julius Randle​
Willie Cauley-Stein​
Karl-Anthony Towns​
Tyler Ulis​
Jamal Murray​
De'Aaron Fox​
Malik Monk​
Kevin Knox​
PJ Washington​
Nick Richards​
Immanuel Quickley​
Oscar Tshiebwe​
Antonio Reeves​

That's 21.

Those that made 2nd Team All-SEC not on the list above:

Doron Lamb​
James Young​
Aaron Harrison​
Devin Booker​
Bam Adebayo​
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander​
Tyler Herro​
Keldon Johnson​
Tyrese Maxey​
Sahvir Wheeler​
Tyty Washington​
Reed Sheppard​
Full List of All-SEC UK Players

You just hate Cow. He can’t dunk, defend, hit layups, shoot 3’s, rebound, or play organized basketball for them!!!!
The list people have placed on here has quite a few players that are literally some of the best in the world at the things you mention. The coaches job is to take that talent and turn it into a cohesive team that wins. The criticism was never that our players didn’t have the raw talent

The list people have placed on here has quite a few players that are literally some of the best in the world at the things you mention. The coaches job is to take that talent and turn it into a cohesive team that wins. The criticism was never that our players didn’t have the raw talent

It’s another reason why I say Reeves was so good. He doesn’t have half the talent of those players but produced, with terrible coaching, in talented ways. Reeves isn’t MKG he needs to be coached to defend. The coach protects the limitations of his players and Calipari was more concerned with recruits seeing NBA defense (which isn’t what Reeves needed) because it played into his selling point rather than helping a guy like Reeves defend better for the team on the court. I don’t hold Reeves’ lack of defensive prowess against him as much as I do Calipari. It’s clear Calipari was never a great defensive coach he just had talented defensive players. It’s guys like Reeves that show how horrendous Calipari is as a coach on both sides of the ball.

In no particular order:

AD
Wall
Fox
Maxey
Cousins
KAT
Murray
Ulis
on uk play.
It's close but, his uk play was superior to several on this list. Pro play after they grow up, taints the viewpoint. Booker, Maxey et al.
But there is an outside shot that Stacey Reed Shepperd might be pissed about this ommission. Keep that head on a swivel brother.

In no particular order:

AD
Wall
Fox
Maxey
Cousins
KAT
Murray
Ulis
MKG
Oscar
Quickley
Randle
Herro
Bledsoe
Knight

No reason Reeves isn’t right after these guys or maybe even ahead of a few of them.

So yes, top 20.
Pj and richards

I say yes.

Coach Allante must have branched off from Cal's coaching tree. You know, the one that is absolutely trash. Cal recruited Reeves as a back-up, and that's how he played 'em until there were no other options. The same dude that refused to stop starting Sahvir Wheeler during the modern era, also didn't wanna start Reeves, one of the most efficient scorers we've ever seen at Kentucky. Cal is a clown. Repeat after me. Cal is a clown.

Patrick Patterson​
DeMarcus Cousins​
John Wall​
Terrence Jones​
Brandon Knight​
Anthony Davis​
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist​
Nerlens Noel​
Julius Randle​
Willie Cauley-Stein​
Karl-Anthony Towns​
Tyler Ulis​
Jamal Murray​
De'Aaron Fox​
Malik Monk​
Kevin Knox​
PJ Washington​
Nick Richards​
Immanuel Quickley​
Oscar Tshiebwe​
Antonio Reeves​

That's 21.

Doron Lamb​
James Young​
Aaron Harrison​
Devin Booker​
Bam Adebayo​
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander​
Tyler Herro​
Keldon Johnson​
Tyrese Maxey​
Sahvir Wheeler​
Tyty Washington​
Reed Sheppard​
SO much talent!
For me, I’d have to put the following 2nd Team members in Cal’s Top 20:
Devin Booker
Bam Adebayo
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Tyler Herro

So which 5 would have to come off the 1st Team for my Top 20? 🤷‍♀️

Patrick Patterson​
DeMarcus Cousins​
John Wall​
Terrence Jones​
Brandon Knight​
Anthony Davis​
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist​
Nerlens Noel​
Julius Randle​
Willie Cauley-Stein​
Karl-Anthony Towns​
Tyler Ulis​
Jamal Murray​
De'Aaron Fox​
Malik Monk​
Kevin Knox​
PJ Washington​
Nick Richards​
Immanuel Quickley​
Oscar Tshiebwe​
Antonio Reeves​

That's 21.

Doron Lamb​
James Young​
Aaron Harrison​
Devin Booker​
Bam Adebayo​
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander​
Tyler Herro​
Keldon Johnson​
Tyrese Maxey​
Sahvir Wheeler​
Tyty Washington​
Reed Sheppard​
You look at that incredible amount of talent and you would think Cal won 3 or 4 titles, at least. But no, just one.

In no particular order:

AD
Wall
Fox
Maxey
Cousins
KAT
Murray
Ulis
MKG
Oscar
Quickley
Randle
Herro
Bledsoe
Knight

So yes, top 20.
SGA?
Aaron Harrison?
Shep?

I agree that Reeves makes the cut.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Cousins
Wall
Lamb
TJ
Knight
AD
MKG
Noel
Randle
Towns
Ulis
Murray
Fox
Monk
Bam
SGA

It gets tougher post 2018. I'd say Oscar, Reeves, PJ n the latter stretch. Shep was great for his one year. Herro was solid.

You see less really talented players the 2nd half od caliparis tenure and results show it post 2017 really.
We still had enough talent to win. It was all coaching why we lost. We didn’t have as many nba stars but we had enough college stars and some NBA talent that is all star level.

I have an opinion. But I'm too annoyed to share it. Took me 10 minutes to decipher who "Tone" is. ( I didn't watch the video, I don't want to wake the wife) If you're too lazy to type Antonio, then type Reeves. Tone is not a name...it's a sound.
Agreed. Just say Reeves. The name everyone knows for him.

“Tone” just makes him sound like a dork trying to sound hip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT