ADVERTISEMENT

Who to Keep an Eye On: WR Coaches

JPFisher

Senior
Jul 24, 2013
WKY
Who is a WR coach that Eddie Gran has worked with in the past who has recruiting ties to either Florida or Georgia?

Would Stoops try to convince Gran to bring in a guy from Ohio or the Midwest?

We should let the offensive coordinator choose his own assistants, but I wanted to get an idea for some names we might hear pop up. It might get dicey with the 10th assistant rule snatching up a lot of surplus coaches.

Assumed magino would move up. Not sure his recruiting connections. Like you, we need a good combo coaching that position

Not sure of names but I'd like to see someone who can extend our recruiting grounds. We have Ohio very well covered. Thomas was supposed to recruit Florida but really brought us nothing from that and now Gran is doing well in Florida. Maybe someone who has good Georgia connections to help Matt House recruit.

Their ability to recruit definitely needs to be top priority. There's no doubt the WRs weren't impressive under IT, not sure why. Could have been SJs throws coaching, player effort, who knows. Bottom line is they dropped more than their fair share of catchable balls. Stoops, and whomever the new coach is, need to put that entire unit on notice this spring.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
Their ability to recruit definitely needs to be top priority. There's no doubt the WRs weren't impressive under IT, not sure why. Could have been SJs throws coaching, player effort, who knows. Bottom line is they dropped more than their fair share of catchable balls. Stoops, and whomever the new coach is, need to put that entire unit on notice this spring.

Well, he did take the redshirts off four or so true freshmen. And tried to redshirt a 5.9, looks like he had a lackawanna if he couldn't make the grades with the great programs UK has for students, maybe he couldn't learn any of the routes.

Reactions: CB3UK
Well, he did take the redshirts off four or so true freshmen. And tried to redshirt a 5.9, looks like he had a lackawanna if he couldn't make the grades with the great programs UK has for students, maybe he couldn't learn any of the routes.
Indeed. Who's to say how we viewed the corp if Baker had been able to go this year. Like I said, who really knows outside the locker room why those guys didn't perform. Obviously, they didn't. Could have been player effort and Stoops is holding LT accountable for not putting enough foot to ass. Clearly, they need to improve whatever the reason and Stoops is taking steps to do just that, so I say kudos.

Joker Phillips.

I'd take him in a heart beat.

Took a QB from Radcliff, TE from Danville, and WR from Louisville and turned them in to a top offense in the country. (I get Andre was a highly thought of recruit and had 4 stars by his name, but we all know what 4 stars in kentucky amounts to...)

Obviously not HC material at this level, but he's a solid position coach and OC. A number of offensive stats leaders are Joker (and Brooks of course) guys.

Reactions: jauk11
Greatest assistant in the world can't teach college age players how to catch a football or teach them the toughness and gutsy behavior of how to do it. People rave about getting this player and that player even though they know little or nothing about their mental toughness. They rave about getting a player from this 6A program or from that top tier program without knowing nothing about their competitive spirit, mental toughness or just their basic skills on catching the ball.

Till we start signing players that have the things that you can't teach that make great players it will matter little how great a coach is. Till we see them against other SEC teams on the field playing like they belong, chalk it up to being able to recruit and sign players that have all the things they should already have playing SEC football.

Every year signing a top 30 class doesn't mean a lot in this conference. Trying to coach up lesser players because you can't beat the better teams for the best players is what it all comes down to. Have been trying to do that my whole life time. Head coach drawing these players is the bottom line. Getting a hand full of really players because of a good recruiting assistant or two will not be able to overcome the better programs year in and year out.

Why add a coach with fla recruiting connections? lets expand our recruiting base. Penn, Ga, or Texas would be nice to start pulling a few in from.

Why add a coach with fla recruiting connections? lets expand our recruiting base. Penn, Ga, or Texas would be nice to start pulling a few in from.

Our most successful WRs have come from Florida. Johnson and Badet were Florida speed and skill guys. UK's offense had nothing to stretch the field when we lost our threat of a burner.

I hope we get a person outside of the program - Matt House was promoted , I didn't really see any improvement - go get a combo coach - a guy that knows how to teach and a guy who loves recruiting , Florida- Georgia ties would be a must for me with this hire, hope this hire wants to be a head coach someday -MAKE YOUR MARK

Lawrence Dawsey, Troy Walters, Kevin Beard could be available. All are qualified, and all have ties to the state of Florida. Stoops obviously knows Dawsey. I don't think the receiver coach hire will come from within the program. Stoops should be looking for a significant upgrade. But at the end of the day, it will probably be someone none of us have thought about.

Gerad Parker....former UK player. Last I remember he was interm coach at Purdue last year. Did he end up at an Acc school?

Reactions: jauk11
UK needs a recruiter, period. You be Nick Saban and if you don’t have the talent there to coach up, it won’t matter.

Is there any precedent for other programs bring back a former HC from their program as a position coach?

Good question, I've wondered the same thing...in 100 years of football and collegiate sports in general it's bound to have happened a few times.

I'd at least briefly consider it if I were CMS. Joker has been in the coaching game for about 30 years now and as far as UK football standards go he was pretty good at evaluating, recruiting, and developing talent at that position.

I'm wondering if Randy Sanders is going to give him a call...

Good question, I've wondered the same thing...in 100 years of football and collegiate sports in general it's bound to have happened a few times.

I'd at least briefly consider it if I were CMS. Joker has been in the coaching game for about 30 years now and as far as UK football standards go he was pretty good at evaluating, recruiting, and developing talent at that position.

I'm wondering if Randy Sanders is going to give him a call...
Re Sanders...no way he can pay at ETSU what Cincy pays. Pretty sure Sanders has filled his staff.

Don't really want joker philips anywhere around our football team. He had 1.5 good years calling plays under brooks, and those teams still lost games they shouldn't have had. Brooks was exceptional at developing players. Joker demonstrated as a head coach, he could neither recruit nor develop. Florida under muschamp obviously was looking for a reason to get rid of him.

And we can never have too much Florida talent!

Joker Phillips.

I'd take him in a heart beat.

Took a QB from Radcliff, TE from Danville, and WR from Louisville and turned them in to a top offense in the country. (I get Andre was a highly thought of recruit and had 4 stars by his name, but we all know what 4 stars in kentucky amounts to...)

Obviously not HC material at this level, but he's a solid position coach and OC. A number of offensive stats leaders are Joker (and Brooks of course) guys.
You have to be kidding! Do you ever think Joker will return to UK? Will not ever happen as a coach.

He has been mentioned a few times but there was a very young grad assistant about ten years ago that had everyone praising his potential, I don't know what position he coaches but last I heard he was at Morehead or one of the instate schools and was still considered a great prospect. I'm sure someone has a name.

Parker was injured and coached about that time, also considered a great coaching prospect, and he was a WR.

I can't see Joker coming back but anyone that thinks he didn't do an amazing job with the talent he had at receiver here is pretty ignorant IMO. Or maybe has an axe to grind.

He has been mentioned a few times but there was a very young grad assistant about ten years ago that had everyone praising his potential, I don't know what position he coaches but last I heard he was at Morehead or one of the instate schools and was still considered a great prospect. I'm sure someone has a name.

Parker was injured and coached about that time, also considered a great coaching prospect, and he was a WR.

I can't see Joker coming back but anyone that thinks he didn't do an amazing job with the talent he had at receiver here is pretty ignorant IMO. Or maybe has an axe to grind.
Joker succeeded at his level of achievement in terms of OC experience and recruiting. Beyond those accomplishments, he was an abject failure. Still, he should be remembered for what he accomplished.

One thing for sure without Joker recruits Brooks,Archer and Hudson would have never had a winning season at UK.

Joker succeeded at his level of achievement in terms of OC experience and recruiting. Beyond those accomplishments, he was an abject failure. Still, he should be remembered for what he accomplished.

He was an abject failure as a receivers coach?

Are you sure you even want to go there?

Reactions: cat888
ADVERTISEMENT