ADVERTISEMENT

Who takes over at Florida?

Seeing as they didn't reward Donovan or grant his wishes to upgrade their basketball facilities, its gonna have to be someone from a smaller school. I feel Archie Miller would do really well there with time.

You say this but they have a great practice facility and the O Dome is scheduled to undergo a massive renovation next year. Was originally schedule to start last month but had to be delayed by a year, but it will happen.

It should be Tubby Smith and no other coach should be mentioned. When we were criticizing Tubby his last 2 seasons, every fan base out there said we were crazy for running off one of the elite coaches in the game - called us racists, idiots and everything else.

It's simple, Tubby should be the first name in any coaching search.

Kruger is currently head coach at Oklahoma. He left Florida for Illinois. I don't think Florida fired him, but I could be wrong. He left Illinois for ATL, and flamed out in three seasons with the Hawks. He's an above average coach, but not a Hall of Famer.

I don't understand this. Don't we want quality teams in our conference to prepare us to play in the tourney. If it's just us and a bunch of terrible teams, it really does us no good.

Does us no harm, either. Hoping for a stronger SEC is one of those "Careful what you wish for..." things.

Florida can and will do better than Grant - Grant has already proven he can't win in the SEC at Bama's expense, why would a school with a multi-million dollar budget for a coach hire him, when clearly better alternatives exist? Ditto for Pelphrey.

If I was the AD, I'd offer a mountain of cash to this guy with my fallback being Miller. Doubt if he takes it but Gainesville is an upgrade from Ames.

fred-hoiberg-ncaa-basketball-iowa-state-texas-850x560.jpg

Hoiberg will never take another college job. He is either Iowa State or NBA...no chance he goes anywhere else.

The only two states, Tx and Calif., produce as many Div. 1 recruits as Fl. Does not look like Billy D. is leaving behind a top 10 team but with such a recruiting base a decent coach should be successful in the near future. Not only do they have a huge recruiting base but they have HS basketball factories in Fl. like Monteverde, West Oaks, etc.

I bet Shaka Smart would've taken the Florida job over Texas had it been open.

No way! Billy D. Was Florida basketball period, no big upcoming or good coach wants that, heck look what Donavon done with that program, hell UF couldn't give tickets away to increase their home game attendance.

Here's an interesting article on coaches who could replace Donovan:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...ball-coaching-search-archie-miller-chris-mack

Seems like Xavier gets their coaches raided more than most - sorta of a cradle of coaches of CBB for the last couple decades.

Let's see...am I missing anyone?

Pete Gillen
Skip Prosser - RIP
Thad Matta
Sean Miller

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see Chris Mack join the list, but X keeps on reloading with X & O guys and winning.

They should go after miller at dayton or mack at xaiver but their AD will go cheap and hire pelphrey or grant.

It doesn't matter. Their fans don't care and have no idea how lucky they were to have had Eddie Munster all these years.

The list has got to look something like:

Archie Miller--is going to have his pick of schools that are more serious about Basketball some day...don't know that he is interested in eating crumbs falling from the football table...

Larry Shyatt--the perfect candidate...could easily lure him away from Wyoming...is older, wouldn't break the bank or threaten to walk if Foley wants to put bball on the back burner while he fixes football...was Billy's right hand man for a lot of the great florida runs...

Anthony Grant--would prob be the guy had billy left for Orlando...not a lot of job offers right now...in no position to break the bank or demand upgrades...has a great resume...final 4 run as HC, ring as Billy's assistant...knows the SEC...

Richard Pitino--has the pedigree...learned under 2 HOF coaches in his father and Billy...again, would be cheaper than some bigger names...

Mark Gotfried--dark horse...but knows the sec...is doing a heck of a job recruiting and getting NC St back to relevance...

Rick Stansbury--not a bad last resort...just helped A&M haul in one of the best classes in the country...has the SEC HC experience

Chris Mack--May not be the first call...but he is on a path to be the first call for somebody some day...

They should go after miller at dayton or mack at xaiver but their AD will go cheap and hire pelphrey or grant.

I would guess the odds of Florida, or any other SEC team, hiring Pel as head coach to be around 0.00%.

I can't see Floeida hiring Grant either but I guess it's possible.

They will get a guy like dicky pitino or other underachiever. Why would Archie miller make a lateral move?

rick will be pushing their AD hard to hire little richard---but he had a bad year at minnesota and would get destroyed at florida

They will get a guy like dicky pitino or other underachiever. Why would Archie miller make a lateral move?
Because it is not a lateral move. Florida can pay about four times as much. It is in a power conference and easier to sell to recruits.

Can't imagine Florida being interested in Rick Jr. I would like to see Pelphrey get another HC opportunity.
Pelphrey made the biggest mistake of his coaching career by taking over Arkansas.He clearly wasn't ready for that big of a job.He was good at South Alabama but Florida won't even look his way.

Jeff Chapel is a name no one has brought up he turned down Arizona St. maybe he likes the south more.

Wow man easy up Grant is a good coach and a good guy maybe not the best but he is able to get things done or else Billy would not have brought him back.

Grant is not cut ouyt for a big time school. He needs something smaller and easier to manage. He would crash and burn at Florida. Their program does not need a guy like him and no theres no way Foley even considers it. Talk about a train wreck. Can you see him selling out the O-dome with his defensive first and no offense at all mentality? How about his personality? lol.

Florida would hit the cellar with Grant, and fast. 4,000 fans a night after his first year.

Why on earth would Archie not be interested . It is a dream job. They can pay the max and minimal pressure. Hell of a lot easier to recruit to Florida than Dayton.

There will not be minimal pressure at Florida. Man this board really really convinced itself Florida fans couldn't care less. In reality, theres lots of florida fans who care. Its not UK,Kansas, etc... but its still a job that people respect with a decent following. And now that Billy is gone, the next coach will have some pressure. You can bet on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT