ADVERTISEMENT

Who takes over at Florida?

I'm guessing Grant. I wonder if that is why they brought him on to start with. Surely Foley had a very good idea they might be looking late for a new coach. Grant would have been an outstanding assistant, but he is a decent plug in with Billy D leaving early.

I'll go with Morgan....err...Archie Miller.
animated-smileys-smoking-007.gif

slideshow_1002130262_ddn040411spudbb104.jpg
BKlFb6fCYAIDAYD.jpg

Wait a minute.

Why in the world are people saying anthony grant? The same anthony grant that was just FIRED because his style sucks, he can't recruit, and his teams can't score? His promotion of a program is beyond bland and dull. He has zero personality. Did I mention he just failed miserably at head coaching?

There is no chance Florida packs it in and makes a hire that pitiful. Wtf?

Can't imagine Florida being interested in Rick Jr. I would like to see Pelphrey get another HC opportunity.

Wait a minute.

Why in the world are people saying anthony grant? The same anthony grant that was just FIRED because his style sucks, he can't recruit, and his teams can't score? His promotion of a program is beyond bland and dull. He has zero personality. Did I mention he just failed miserably at head coaching?

I'm not saying he is the greatest hire. But he is still given a lot of credit for the Gators runs. He was an assistant for 10 years under Billy D and definitely WAS NOT a failure as a head coach at VCU (won about 75 games in 3 years). Smart and others would easily be the choices over Grant who definitely failed at Alabama. However, this late in the game, Florida may have their hands tied. We'll see. Donovan is not even gone yet.

Wait a minute.

ok, its kind of off topic, but espnu ran a special about how to beat kentucky, and grant was the coach they used to show how it could be done. That was funny to me because he lossed to us pretty bad earlier in the year.
Some guys are better off assistant coaches, and he seems to be in that mold

If you remember when Donovan accepted the Orlando job a few years back, Grant was on a plane to Florida to accept the UF job. Of course, all this pre-Alabama. But maybe why they brought him back. May do a Kevin Ollie and give it to Grant on an interim, and if he does a good job, get it full time next year.

If you remember when Donovan accepted the Orlando job a few years back, Grant was on a plane to Florida to accept the UF job. Of course, all this pre-Alabama. But maybe why they brought him back. May do a Kevin Ollie and give it to Grant on an interim, and if he does a good job, get it full time next year.

Yes, exactly why I think that is who they hire. I'm not saying this is who they SHOULD hire, just who I think they WILL go with. But just an opinion.

Wait a minute.

Wow man easy up Grant is a good coach and a good guy maybe not the best but he is able to get things done or else Billy would not have brought him back.

They could replace one Billy, with another, since Billy Clyde could probably be persuaded to leave that little school in Texas. Joking aside, they may have to give Grant or Pel a chance, since it is late in the game to look for a coach, plus, it makes it extra tough when it is known as a football school.

Will def be interesting to see this play out..

Im of the belief that Floridas bball program is doomed the day BD leaves.. I feel the same way about Duke and Coach K.. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong

Florida, you are probably right. There really is no member of the Donovan coaching tree that is a proven replacement and I'm not sure Florida reached the point in basketball to survive without him despite the championships.

Duke, on the other hand I hate to admit does not appear as vulnerable. Sure losing the all-time leader in wins is hard to replace but they are no doubt now established blue blood and will have a multitude of options to choose from. Like Kentucky they could now miss at hires and not be the death sentence for their program. If Florida doesn't make the perfect hire here, their program goes back to an after thought.

Reactions: kyisinmyblood
Florida can and will do better than Grant - Grant has already proven he can't win in the SEC at Bama's expense, why would a school with a multi-million dollar budget for a coach hire him, when clearly better alternatives exist? Ditto for Pelphrey.

If I was the AD, I'd offer a mountain of cash to this guy with my fallback being Miller. Doubt if he takes it but Gainesville is an upgrade from Ames.

fred-hoiberg-ncaa-basketball-iowa-state-texas-850x560.jpg

Last edited:
They will probably go after Archie Miller, but I wouldn't think he would be interested.

I do not see him taking this on either - if they won't upgrade for Billy D then why should Archie M expect the same - he will have many opportunities soon enough. I believe they will take a few steps back and try someone like A Mack from Xavier.....or maybe try a run at LA Tech's White - But I do not believe they will get a top tier Coach unless they try the Former NBA (Avery Johnson - WHICH I BELIEVE WAS A GREAT HIRE) route with an older coach.

Hoiberg just had major heart surgery. He's not going anywhere.

I'll go out on a limb like Jeremy Foley usually does and go way outside the box: Jay Larranaga.
Dad is at Miami, and Jay turned down George Mason earlier this year. He's currently in his 2nd year as an assistant under Brad Stevens.

Rick Pitino.

Think about it. TONS of tanned coeds, bikini's, restaurants with tables, etc.

I just read the job description released by the University of Florida for the vacant head coaching position, and they've included a section under personal appearance that says a 'widows peak' is a requirement. That's going to eliminate a lot of top candidates.

Reactions: CatPhight
I just read the job description released by the University of Florida for the vacant head coaching position, and they've included a section under personal appearance that says a 'widows peak' is a requirement. That's going to eliminate a lot of top candidates.

Crap, that means we're going to have to retire this priceless work of art.

fla-donovan-munsters.jpg

Dang, that puts John Travolta in the drivers seat.

Archie Miller and I hope he coaches here someday in the very very very distant future when Cal retires at 70.

They will probably go after Archie Miller, but I wouldn't think he would be interested.
Why on earth would Archie not be interested . It is a dream job. They can pay the max and minimal pressure. Hell of a lot easier to recruit to Florida than Dayton.

I read it on Twitter,, can't remember who it was.. May not be true,, but I've read a few media picks of who they think will get the job.. Pels name was thrown around,, but none had Grant as a replacement..

Wouldn't be a surprise, that's for sure.

Norm Sloan was there for a couple of stints with a National Championship in between with David Thompson at NC State.

I read it on Twitter,, can't remember who it was.. May not be true,, but I've read a few media picks of who they think will get the job.. Pels name was thrown around,, but none had Grant as a replacement..
Think I saw Grant was going to OKC with BD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT