ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the top 4?

Yes, that specific thing happened just last year with Ohio State. They lost the last game of the season to Michigan in Columbus by 22 points. It's true that Alabama lost by 10 at home (to another playoff team) and made the playoffs. However, for comparison, the following teams still made the playoffs as well.

2014 Ohio State got in after losing at home by 2 TDs in week 2 to a Virginia Tech team that finished 7-6. Ohio State won the national championship.

2015 Alabama lost at home to Ole Miss by a touchdown. Alabama won the national championship.

2015 Washington lost at home in November by 2 touchdowns to USC.

2016 Clemson lost at home in November to Pittsburgh who would finish 8-5. However, that was only a 1 point game. Clemson went on to win the national championship.

2017 Oklahoma lost at home by a touchdown to eventual 8-5 Iowa State.

2020 Notre Dame lost by 24 points to Clemson in a neutral site contest in the last game of the year.

2021 Georgia lost the SEC championship game by 17 points to Alabama. The next month they beat Alabama by 15 to win the national title.

2022 Ohio State lost the last game of the year to Michigan in Columbus by 22 points.

Yep. Which shows that Georgia got screwed, not FSU.

I get why they felt they couldn't leave Washington out because of viewership/money because they beat Oregon to stay undefeated, even if their schedule wasn't much tougher than FSU's.

Just tells you it's not about the 4 best teams when money might get in the way.

Why stop at 97? Go back to 1980 and get back to me. I think the SEC is top heavy. Other than Kentucky, I could give a rats ass about the other teams.
The BCS started in 98, so that’s a good time frame to start with where a system (computer or current CFP committee) was in place to have the top 2/4 teams actually play one another instead of AP and Coaches poll voters determine who the champ was.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
Aren’t Oklahoma, and Texas in the NYD6, with Bama, UGA, Mizzou and maybe Ole Miss, ranked 11th?

The 16 team SEC might get more than 4 in next year.

Might deserve it or even earn it, but I doubt the conference will ever get 4 into the 12 team playoff. They will automatic the P5 championship teams, next best from 2 or 3 of those conferences, then allow in 2 undefeateds from the other conferences. They'll squeeze us to a max of 4

Reactions: The-Hack
The purpose of the playoff is to arrive a naming one champion. You want that Champion to be the best team.

Let’s say Michigan wins. Is anyone going to realistically say that they dodged a bullet by avoiding FSU?
Anyone who says that would lose credibility.

People want FSU in to reward them for being an undefeated ACC champ knowing that it would be an extreme long shot for them to beat Michigan and then the winner of Texas/Washington.

It would be more drama packed if UGA was in over Washington or TX.
UGA lost so I am not saying that they should have gotten in, but they would have had a MUCH greater chance of winning it all than FSU would have.

They'll squeeze us to a max of 4
Maybe of greater importance, is how they rank/space the SEC teams out.

The NCAA roundball tourney in the eighties would pack four good SEC teams in one regional, and they would kill each other off.

The BCS started in 98, so that’s a good time frame to start with where a system (computer or current CFP committee)
Or maybe measure the quality of the conferences based upon who won an imaginary title when Jimmy Carter was in the White House?

The purpose of the playoff is to arrive a naming one champion. You want that Champion to be the best team.

That's probably the best and most compelling argument I've seen. If Michigan or Washington were to win the title without having to beat Alabama or Georgia (or a team that beat them in the playoffs), I think a lot of people would question the legitimacy of that championship. As it stands now, if Michigan takes down an Alabama team that just beat Georgia, people are going to see them as legitimately the best team in the country. The same would be said of Washington if they beat Texas and Michigan/Alabama.

Florida State had almost no chance to win given the QB situation. That's too bad for them, because they looked really stout when at full strength.

I thought that the committee would put FSU in over Bama.I was shocked that they did the right thing and put them in. The ACC has NO PULL now it seems with the NCAA or TV. That was the deciding factorIMHO

When Texas and FSU won, that knockedUGA out.
This was the first official act of relegating the ACC to second class status as a football conference.

The ACC will not be relevant going forward when the top 4 teams that receive a bye in the new playoff format are named starting next year.

Reactions: The-Hack and catben

Let’s say Michigan wins. Is anyone going to realistically say that they dodged a bullet by avoiding FSU?
Anyone who says that would lose credibility.

People want FSU in to reward them for being an undefeated ACC champ knowing that it would be an extreme long shot for them to beat Michigan and then the winner of Texas/Washington.

It would be more drama packed if UGA was in over Washington or TX.
UGA lost so I am not saying that they should have gotten in, but they would have had a MUCH greater chance of winning it all than FSU would have.
What makes sports great is that underdogs win it all sometimes. But you can't have underdogs win it all when you don't give them a chance. Next year we should let UGA/Bama and Mich/OSU play two best of seven series to determine a champion since they're probably better than every other team anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
What makes sports great is that underdogs win it all sometimes. But you can't have underdogs win it all when you don't give them a chance. Next year we should let UGA/Bama and Mich/OSU play two best of seven series to determine a champion since they're probably better than every other team anyways.
I don’t oppose giving underdogs a chance, just not at the expense of teams that have played a tougher schedule and still demonstrated that they are better.
FSU put up a whopping 16 points on a UL team that lost to a team that Bama sadly beat badly.

That's probably the best and most compelling argument I've seen. If Michigan or Washington were to win the title without having to beat Alabama or Georgia (or a team that beat them in the playoffs), I think a lot of people would question the legitimacy of that championship. As it stands now, if Michigan takes down an Alabama team that just beat Georgia, people are going to see them as legitimately the best team in the country. The same would be said of Washington if they beat Texas and Michigan/Alabama.

Florida State had almost no chance to win given the QB situation. That's too bad for them, because they looked really stout when at full strength.

Alabama shouldn't be playing Michigan in the semis. Travesty there. The 2 best teams (with the best chance of winning it all/strongest SOS) shouldn't be playing in the first round. Texas vs Michigan and Washington vs Bama should've been the first round.

Bama might not have made it past Washington, but the pac12 would've earned it regardless. I think they went with the best chances of eliminating one of the 2 best conference's teams, because it's the last year they can manipulate things this badly.

Reactions: KY_Kid

Congrats on the most fallacious and fellatious post on this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: ChicagoCat1990
No one is really changing their mind here. The arguments come down to how you want the playoff teams picked. Do you want the best four teams or the most deserving four teams. The issue with picking four teams a random collection of executives thinks are the best is that doesn't always play out on the field. Everyone was talking all week how Oregon was better than Washington and what happened? TCU wasn't supposed to be one of the best four teams last year and then they beat Michigan.

At the end of the day the CFP was put in place to avoid another 2004 Auburn situation. It doubled the number of teams invited to the party. If you ran the table and won a P5 conference you're supposed to get a shot. You may not be one of the best four, but you're deserving of a chance. FSU deserved a chance.

The answer to this question is that the playoff is only about TV ratings and the four teams that will make ESPN the most money. It's not a legitimate way to determine a champion.

No one is really changing their mind here. The arguments come down to how you want the playoff teams picked. Do you want the best four teams or the most deserving four teams. The issue with picking four teams a random collection of executives thinks are the best is that doesn't always play out on the field. Everyone was talking all week how Oregon was better than Washington and what happened? TCU wasn't supposed to be one of the best four teams last year and then they beat Michigan.

At the end of the day the CFP was put in place to avoid another 2004 Auburn situation. It doubled the number of teams invited to the party. If you ran the table and won a P5 conference you're supposed to get a shot. You may not be one of the best four, but you're deserving of a chance. FSU deserved a chance.
That's not correct. All of those things are supposed to be weighted evenly. Alabama had strength of schedule advantage, best win, and Sec Champion. Florida State undefeated in a weak conference, that's it. So by the criteria weighted evenly you are 100 % incorrect.

FSU deserved a chance.

They got their chance and limped to a win over a TWO LOSS team in UL, who ANY playoff team should've O.Blit.Er.At.ed.

Alabama stepped up and beat the best, undefeated team in the country by a FG.

Not even close who earned their chance to be in the playoff.

No one DESERVES SHT. This is football, not voting for homecoming queen.

Reactions: shano
That's not correct. All of those things are supposed to be weighted evenly. Alabama had strength of schedule advantage, best win, and Sec Champion. Florida State undefeated in a weak conference, that's it. So by the criteria weighted evenly you are 100 % incorrect.
In 2014 the committee said TCU looked better but had to include an undefeated FSU because they earned the spot. This year they said Bama looked better even though FSU was undefeated.

There isn’t actually criteria. They pick the four teams they want in and work on the logic after the fact. It’s a farce.

Reactions: gojvc

The answer to this question is that the playoff is only about TV ratings and the four teams that will make ESPN the most money. It's not a legitimate way to determine a champion.
Undefeated doesn't trump the other criteria. That's just silly. When you saw Alabama, Georgia and FSU's resumes on the screen it really is a no brainer.

No one DESERVES SHT. This is football, not voting for homecoming queen.
Lmao. Hilarious you’re saying this unironically because putting Bama in the playoff is voting for the popular homecoming queen.

Football is determined on the field. And on the field FSU is undefeated. Bama isn’t.

In 2014 the committee said TCU looked better but had to include an undefeated FSU because they earned the spot. This year they said Bama looked better even though FSU was undefeated.

There isn’t actually criteria. They pick the four teams they want in and work on the logic after the fact. It’s a farce.
No they had what they used to pick the teams weighted equally. Alabama clearly was the pick. There absolutely was criteria they used to pick the last team. Alabama was clearly the pick. They explained the whole thing but don't let logic stop you pal.

Lmao. Hilarious you’re saying this unironically because putting Bama in the playoff is voting for the popular homecoming queen.

Football is determined on the field. And on the field FSU is undefeated. Bama isn’t.
So is Liberty. You make no sense.

Says the one slurping Bama for your honorary SEC National Championship

Lol. Bet you're giddy that you looked that up. You're such an idiot, and a toddler. Can you cry more? Maybe you're just teething...

Go back to basketball or baseball or whatever other sport you also don't know sht about.

So is Liberty. You make no sense.

No point reasoning with these idiots.

They choose not to grasp that Alabama losing to another playoff team early in the season doesn't magically make FSU worthy of the playoff, when the Noles (one of the few football programs I like in the ACC) and their opponents struggled in the ACC AND against middle tier SEC teams. FSU has NO quality wins, nor their starting QB. Georgia earned a trip to the playoff before FSU is considered.

No, Alanis, putting Bama into the playoff after they upset the best team in the country to EARN a title against an undefeated team, and with a brutal SOS, rather than selecting a team that was handed an undefeated season because of NO SOS and struggling to beat a 2 loss team in a title game; is having sense, rather than basing it on emotion.

Bama and Georgia both CRUSHED UK. UK scored 38 points on a team against which FSU struggled to do JACK. If you're going to talk about football, you should actually WATCH some football.

I don't like Bama. I know that they are a better team than most teams in the country. I don't think they're a lock to beat Michigan, even though I think they're the better team. I think they'd beat either opponent of the other 2, even though they don't match-up as well with Washington.

Georgia beat Georgia yesterday. Alabama should have run them to death, but didn't, and I don't know why. The Bama line was eating em alive in the running game. It was still a much better played game than the ACC title game. That was barely football.

Lol. Bet you're giddy that you looked that up. You're such an idiot, and a toddler. Can you cry more? Maybe you're just teething...

Go back to basketball or baseball or whatever other sport you also don't know sht about.
Make sure you and the boys bring lotion to the championship watch party. You can all chant SEC while you help each other out.

Reactions: Boyd94
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT