ADVERTISEMENT

Who in the heck is KSR running out as commentators now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about what you just said. You just said “I don’t listen to Kentucky Sports Radio for sports.”

And you’re still trying to defend them as valuable radio station. That’s like calling the plumber and getting the electrician. No matter how good the electrician is he can’t fix your pipes.

Yeah, crazy people want less sports on a supposed sports radio show.

I never listen to radio/podcasts much anymore as I just listen to music Playlist at work but on the rare times I've listened to this show I turn it off due to lack of sports talk.

If there is a clip important enough for me to listen to I know some on here will create a thread on it. MJs bball program in disarray rant this summer was entertaining. More of that and sports talk and I'll listen. The goober frat bro talk isn't on my level though.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Don't you talk about Danny Bonaduce like that!

What's wrong with them giving college interns experience and opportunities. They don't have to be perfect and polished. Tons of them have gone onto full times jobs in sports media around the country. Weird thing to be so mad about.
Well.....
1. On the written side of the site it's been pretty easy to see poorly worded articles, grammatical issues and mis-spelled names consistently. So if that is indicative of quality of work for college intern....maybe the KSR interns should be like the interns that work for me at my company.....they do produce work but to push to our customers...it has to meet the standard of me (i.e....the management)

2. As far as opinion insights.....very subjective topic. But I am not sure they provide any sports insight to their customers (which are mainly UK b-ball fans).

- Pretty much that would people who actually played basketball (maybe even in college/for Ky or at high level) to understand the game.
- Or people with connections to the program to give insider information.
- Or people with great basketball insights and bravery to ask touch questions to Cal in pressers and seasoned journalists.

I am not sure the people they are trotting out there meet any of these qualifications....but if people are cool with some college interns for content in a competitive for sports information....that al be it. I find their content to not add anything much I didn't know in spades already.

What exactly are they going to talk about during the dead period of the summer besides giving recruiting updates? No way in hell I'd listen to that filler garbage for 2 hours. Just turn on another sports talk radio station, like anything by ESPN. They will literally tell you the same shit over and over.
I mean when it’s a season where I don’t want to watch sports I don’t watch sporting news stations. If I want general entertainment there are places and stations for that. When I tune into my sports station, though, I expect to hear sports.

Sue me

Well.....
1. On the written side of the site it's been pretty easy to see poorly worded articles, grammatical issues and mis-spelled names consistently. So if that is indicative of quality of work for college intern....maybe the KSR interns should be like the interns that work for me at my company.....they do produce work but to push to our customers...it has to meet the standard of me (i.e....the management)

2. As far as opinion insights.....very subjective topic. But I am not sure they provide any sports insight to their customers (which are mainly UK b-ball fans).

- Pretty much that would people who actually played basketball (maybe even in college/for Ky or at high level) to understand the game.
- Or people with connections to the program to give insider information.
- Or people with great basketball insights and bravery to ask touch questions to Cal in pressers and seasoned journalists.

I am not sure the people they are trotting out there meet any of these qualifications....but if people are cool with some college interns for content in a competitive for sports information....that al be it. I find their content to not add anything much I didn't know in spades already.
Nick Roush is the worst for poor grammar and misspelled words.

Reactions: entropy13
But what does that even mean? 100 people listen to it? The radio show has very little to do with sports at this point anymore.
Think about what you just said. You just said “I don’t listen to Kentucky Sports Radio for sports.”

And you’re still trying to defend them as valuable radio station. That’s like calling the plumber and getting the electrician. No matter how good the electrician is he can’t fix your pipes.

1. It means the show is highly successful.

2. They talk about sports at minimum 70% of the show in totality. I listen on podcast daily.

3. It is obviously valuable enough to still be on the air for over a decade.

I don't agree with everything Jones says, but that is why I like it. It is entertainment. I like opposing views, keeps me thinking. The most successful shows have to keep entertainment at a premium.

Even in Cincinnati, Tony Pike and Austin Elmore have a 3 hour afternoon show. They have a spoof 30 minute segment everyday called TalkBacks, it is hilarious. In cities like Cinci with multiple college, pro teams, etc...helluva lot easier to talk all sports for 3 hours because they are going year round. In Lexington, they aren't.

If you want non stop sports listen to Cutler or nationally, Finebaum. It isn't my thing, JMHO.

I'll rephrase, I enjoy the show all aspects but I don't take the sports angle they usually have as gospel. Does that make sense? Especially football with Matt. The other KSR shows, Luckett, Roush, Freddie those guys know football and who I like to listen to if I want really good football knowledge. Shawn Smith and Jack Pilgrim do a great job on the basketball side.

The KSR website hasn't been very good for years now, Tyler is/was good (she still write there? I don't know) but I quit reading when all the original cast of writers moved on. Listen to radio show most mornings, it's an entertaining show with enough UK sports stuff for my taste and I like all the goofy extras.
Tyler Thompson and Freddie Maggard are solid. Everyone else...well, let's just say they're not the A-Team.

Suggestions please for a good UK Basketball news source. KSR has become the most add-cluttered site I've ever seen. There has to a reasonable alternative.

Maybe. I just said that because if you try to claim anything negative about KSR, some segment here will claim that you just don't like Matt.
But would you also say that a lot of people on here just don’t like Matt?

I interact with these guys on another site. Nice guys but I rarely agree with their takes. Yesterday it was something about Thiero having to be able to make 3's in order to play any significant minutes. To me that is about the most asinine thing ever.

There has to be a "threat" to make a three. Not that he needs to shoot 35%. That dude does so much on the floor he will get mins based off defense, intangibles and athleticism. Before he tweaked ankle last night, did you all see him? Dude is sheet rock now. I think he is going to be surprised if the team....ha, and funny enough he made the only 3 he took.
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Isiah Briscoe
BJ Boston
Ashton Hagans
EJ Montgomery
Sahvir Wheeler
Chris Livingston
Jarred Vanderbilt

Each of those played plenty when healthy, and couldn't really shoot it that well. In fact, Cal has ALWAYS said he will NOT play shooters if they can't guard

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Isiah Briscoe
BJ Boston
Ashton Hagans
EJ Montgomery
Sahvir Wheeler
Chris Livingston
Jarred Vanderbilt

Each of those played plenty when healthy, and couldn't really shoot it that well. In fact, Cal has ALWAYS said he will NOT play shooters if they can't guard
And only a couple on that list made up for their lack of pure shooting with playmaking. MKG being the prime example.

And only a couple on that list made up for their lack of pure shooting with playmaking. MKG being the prime example.
Sure, but the point was that you do NOT have to make 3s to be a major rotational player for Cal. And, like I said, he actually is more likely to NOT play a "shooter" than he is a guy that can do other things, such as MKG, that impact a game. Again, the original point was that KSR is mandating guys be shooters in order to get a spot in the rotation

I'll rephrase, I enjoy the show all aspects but I don't take the sports angle they usually have as gospel. Does that make sense? Especially football with Matt. The other KSR shows, Luckett, Roush, Freddie those guys know football and who I like to listen to if I want really good football knowledge. Shawn Smith and Jack Pilgrim do a great job on the basketball side.
I'm a KSR fan, I think Matt is living out 99% of our dream jobs. BUT, I do think KSR has gotten away from what initially made them great - basketball insights. Remember, their claims to fame are breaking the Billy Gillespie drama, the Rick Pitino Lville scandal, the hiring of Calipari, and some of the early recruiting days. They used to have legit inside scoops, and really did a good job of relaying that inside info to BBN in a very blue collar fashion.

Matt, Drew, Shannon and Ryan don't really have those inside scoops anymore - at least on a legit basis. So the show just isn't as good anymore, in MY opinion - but I am still a fan. But Matt seems to address everything more from an administrative perspective (like an AD, President of college, etc) rather than a recruiting analyst, an Xs and Os guru, etc. And clearly, none of the co-hosts are those either.

I respect Jack for his hustle - the dude goes to events, the dude works the phone, he clearly wants to be really successful at what he does. But it seems to me that he kinda just plagarizes other people's takes - he uses buzz words and catch phrases, but nothing really in depth on recruits - just doesn't seem to me like he has a really firm grasp on how players will actually play or will actually pan out. And he certainly doesn't have an Xs and Os insight, he gets a lot of that stuff wrong.

Shawn Smith - he knows Xs and Os, just maybe lacks a little excitement and personality for a podcast host

I'm a KSR fan, I think Matt is living out 99% of our dream jobs. BUT, I do think KSR has gotten away from what initially made them great - basketball insights. Remember, their claims to fame are breaking the Billy Gillespie drama, the Rick Pitino Lville scandal, the hiring of Calipari, and some of the early recruiting days. They used to have legit inside scoops, and really did a good job of relaying that inside info to BBN in a very blue collar fashion.

Matt, Drew, Shannon and Ryan don't really have those inside scoops anymore - at least on a legit basis. So the show just isn't as good anymore, in MY opinion - but I am still a fan. But Matt seems to address everything more from an administrative perspective (like an AD, President of college, etc) rather than a recruiting analyst, an Xs and Os guru, etc. And clearly, none of the co-hosts are those either.

I respect Jack for his hustle - the dude goes to events, the dude works the phone, he clearly wants to be really successful at what he does. But it seems to me that he kinda just plagarizes other people's takes - he uses buzz words and catch phrases, but nothing really in depth on recruits - just doesn't seem to me like he has a really firm grasp on how players will actually play or will actually pan out. And he certainly doesn't have an Xs and Os insight, he gets a lot of that stuff wrong.

Shawn Smith - he knows Xs and Os, just maybe lacks a little excitement and personality for a podcast host
I think Matt dialed back a lot of the "scoops" for a variety of reasons. 1, Cal just won't talk to them anymore since they've called him out. Which, being the largest radio podcast in the state is sad. But that's just how Cal rolls.
2. He's caught a lot of flax from other fans for being "too negative" or "too positive" about the programs, so he doesn't do analysis much anymore because people get so uptight either way. 3. Ryan is usually the scoop hound and Ryan has caught a lot of flak from fans over Dane Key and other small issues, so Ryan isn't sharing as much of his insider knowledge as he used to for fear of reprisals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT