ADVERTISEMENT

Who here has done time...

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
...time behind enemy lines as a Kentucky fan? Who has lived outside of the friendlies around Lexington? How did the locals treat you as a UK fan? Friendly? Hostile?

I grew up in central Indy, when Bobby Knight was still a god. As a kid, my IU fan friends were ruthless. Lately, the Hoosiers have been pretty quite. Adult IU fans are still pretty delusional, but a bit more tolerable. Purdue fans have always been hit and miss.

Being stationed in North Carolina, I was surrounded by people from all over. But, in general, sports fans kept the UK 'hate' well within the realm of friendly sports banter.

I lived in Charlottesville, VA for a decade. Those folks didn't pay much attention to any teams outside of VaTech, Duke and UNCheat. UVA fans didn't have any bad blood towards Kentucky.

Spent 18 years in Rikers for a white-collar embezzlement scheme involving Lactaid coupons, juveniles and the Japanese mafia. Tried to watch Kentucky during rec time but was shanked by a member of a Mongolian crime syndicate.

Hope this helps

I bet dollars to doughnuts that anyone who claims to have horrible memories living around fans of other programs—likely acted like an ass to begin with.
Heck of a claim. I can promise you, I didn't act like that. Not stuck in a school surrounded by immature kids. You learn real quick what acting like an asshat gets you the day after next year's game. Even as adults, I stay civil, but a lot of IU fans still act like children when discussing college hoops.

Reactions: chroix
Heck of a claim. I can promise you, I didn't act like that. Not stuck in a school surrounded by immature kids. You learn real quick what acting like an asshat gets you the day after next year's game. Even as adults, I stay civil, but a lot of IU fans still act like children when discussing college hoops.
The way you described your situation, it sounds like you stayed low key. What I described is not your situation.

Like a lot of fanbases, we have our share of asshats who bring it on themselves. I had an IU fan talk smack to me once. I winked at him and smiled-and it totally diffused the situation. Some people take this shit waaay too seriously. I guarantee you a lot of our fans began the problems in some “beat their chests” sort of way, I’ve been around our fans for quite a while .

Reactions: SemperFiCat
The way you described your situation, it sounds like you stayed low key. What I described is not your situation.

Like a lot of fanbases, we have our share of asshats who bring it on themselves. I had an IU fan talk smack to me once. I winked at him and smiled-and it totally diffused the situation. Some people take this shit waaay too seriously. I guarantee you a lot of our fans began the problems in some “beat their chests” sort of way, I’ve been around our fans for quite a while .
I agree. Every fanbase has that 5%. Some fanbases are pretty big and have a big 5%. Luckily, seems like most (sober) adults are pretty civil sports fans. Really, just let people talk about their team, and you can usually find common ground and have a good chat.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I’ve lived in Northern KY most of my 44 1/2 years of life. I spent 6 months in New London Wisconsin when I graduated high school back in 1997 . My aunt moved up there from here and I went to live with her that was 30 mins from Green Bay so you know what they worshipped in that area. That time of my life I was a Dallas Cowboys fan so that was a fun 6 months of life going back and forth. As for college basketball they didn’t have nothing like that up there. Down here when I was in school and stuff you would always have you occasional UC fan that would try to start some crap. They really didn’t have any legs to stand on they hadn’t won anything since the 50’s. I really hadn’t been behind many enemy lines I have always enjoyed my old Kentucky home!

I’ve lived in Northern KY most of my 44 1/2 years of life. I spent 6 months in New London Wisconsin when I graduated high school back in 1997 . My aunt moved up there from here and I went to live with her that was 30 mins from Green Bay so you know what they worshipped in that area. That time of my life I was a Dallas Cowboys fan so that was a fun 6 months of life going back and forth. As for college basketball they didn’t have nothing like that up there. Down here when I was in school and stuff you would always have you occasional UC fan that would try to start some crap. They really didn’t have any legs to stand on they hadn’t won anything since the 50’s. I really hadn’t been behind many enemy lines I have always enjoyed my old Kentucky home!
I did say something sports related once to someone.

was at a store once and saw a married couple walking together, holding hands etc. one was wearing a Green Bay jersey. The other a Bears jersey. I couldn’t help myself. I said to them “How does this happen?!?!?” They both laughed. They said they get that from a lot of people. THAT was a fun interaction.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Live in Nashville - surrounded by "BIG ORANGE" and some loyal Vandy fans. Pretty tame for the most part unless you get them in a large group like a sports bar to watch a game... then they lose their minds (alcohol always brings out the best in most people...lol) . I never provoke when I am outnumbered exponentially... not dumb - really not in my nature to talk crap anyway - especially first. I will wear a UK hat or t-shirt - and usually get nothing (an occasional "Go Cats") when out in public - but if the UT faithful are gathered in numbers - their confidence grows and their mouths are loud. Personally I'm 6'4" 250 - so can't recall anyone bowing up to me one on one.

Football season is bad right now.... UT looks very good and they are insufferable.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Live in Nashville - surrounded by "BIG ORANGE" and some loyal Vandy fans. Pretty tame for the most part unless you get them in a large group like a sports bar to watch a game... then they lose their minds (alcohol always brings out the best in most people...lol) . I never provoke when I am outnumbered exponentially... not dumb. I will wear a UK hat or t-shirt - and usually get nothing (an occasional "Go Cats") when out in public - but if the UT faithful are gathered in numbers - their confidence grows and their mouths are loud. Personally I'm 6'4" 250 - so can't recall anyone bowing up to me one on one.

Football season is bad right now.... UT looks very good and they are insufferable.
I’d definitely settle to hang out with the Vandy fans.

Reactions: struggler
I've lived a bit of everywhere as an adult (Washington DC, Philadelphia, Eugene OR, Baltimore and now Bloomington IL) but none of them were rival territory. I grew up in Middletown, OH and we had a lot of IU and ND fans (catholic school). IMO, where you grow and who you're surrounded by has a lot to do with your dislike for other programs. I've never had a strong dislike for UL because I never grew up with any UL fans. I hated IU with a passion because I had friends who were IU fans...same with ND.

I live in OC and have spent most of my working life in Louisville, including a stint at UofL hospital. For the most part it’s just that few fans who are asshats and I usually get along with anyone
Have had a couple of times where someone tries to get stupid. Is what it is..I just smile and walk away

Lived in Indiana east of Indy for large chunk of time. Those fans are nasty. Even wearing a UK shirt into Walmart would get hateful looks and comments. No actions necessary for them to behave like that.

I've lived a bit of everywhere as an adult (Washington DC, Philadelphia, Eugene OR, Baltimore and now Bloomington IL) but none of them were rival territory. I grew up in Middletown, OH and we had a lot of IU and ND fans (catholic school). IMO, where you grow and who you're surrounded by has a lot to do with your dislike for other programs. I've never had a strong dislike for UL because I never grew up with any UL fans. I hated IU with a passion because I had friends who were IU fans...same with ND.
Kinda similar to me. I don't have the disdain for UofL like most UK fans do. Both my parents, while they are both UK fans, are UofL grads. Half of my family are UofL fans. So, I was never really exposed to the nasty UofL fan behavior like most Kentucky fans had. Most Kentucky fans had to put up with UofL fans, but I had IU fans as 'the bad guys'.

Lived in Michigan for 12 years. Tame fans- they were worried more about each other (UM and Mich St) and Ohio State than they were UK and the SEC.

Lived in Connecticut for 7 years. They barely knew they had a basketball team, much less worried about mine.

Last 13 years lived in NC amongst the other bluebloods. Pretty civil in general. They love to talk basketball and generally respect the proper boundaries.

...time behind enemy lines as a Kentucky fan? Who has lived outside of the friendlies around Lexington? How did the locals treat you as a UK fan? Friendly? Hostile?

I grew up in central Indy, when Bobby Knight was still a god. As a kid, my IU fan friends were ruthless. Lately, the Hoosiers have been pretty quite. Adult IU fans are still pretty delusional, but a bit more tolerable. Purdue fans have always been hit and miss.

Being stationed in North Carolina, I was surrounded by people from all over. But, in general, sports fans kept the UK 'hate' well within the realm of friendly sports banter.

I lived in Charlottesville, VA for a decade. Those folks didn't pay much attention to any teams outside of VaTech, Duke and UNCheat. UVA fans didn't have any bad blood towards Kentucky.
I live in the heart of enemy territory lol. It’s pretty great because we usually kick their ass and it’s 50% blue anyway!

I bet dollars to doughnuts that anyone who claims to have horrible memories living around fans of other programs—likely acted like an ass to begin with.

Not true. On a trip to Indiana I was wearing a UK sweatshirt. I went to my daughter's church and a guy came up to me before church and told me a Kentucky joke. I laughed politely. He then told me another one and another. It seemed rude at that point.

After church he sought me out and started telling me more Kentucky jokes. At this point, it was clear that he wasn't just poking fun. He was being insulting.

On another occasion I was walking on a trail with a UK tshirt on and a guy with a Penn State shirt gave me the middle finger. This was right after we had beaten them in football.

Finally, I once congratulated an IU fan who was obnoxious for winning the title. His reply, "Well, I know you always knew we were the superior program! It is good for you to finally admit it!"

Reactions: chroix
Grew up in southeast Indiana and went to school at IU (believe it or not). Never really had any issues during college but was definitely heckled a time or two. IU fans were not so nice to me when I wore a Patrick Patterson jersey in the IU student section while watching John Wall dunk all over the place! Go Cats!

When you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole.

When you meet assholes all day, you’re the asshole.

Hope you're doing well.

Same here, but not as long, 28 years, but definitely behind enemy lines, 30 minutes from both Duke & UNC.
Hey jonathan...everything is good. I have a 2 year old grandson now, and me and my son will be laying the groundwork for him to be a cats fan.

I hope all is well with you...

Reactions: Fox2monk
Grew up in Wolverine/Spartan territory in Michigan and now I despise both of those teams because of the ridicule I went through as a youngster during the probation years.

I still live here and enjoyed countless MSU and UM scandals over the last few years.

I lived a short stent in east TN, the Johnson City area, back in the early 90's and never had any issues. To be honest I had more UK fans that would say something than UT or ETSU fans that would say anything.

Not true. On a trip to Indiana I was wearing a UK sweatshirt. I went to my daughter's church and a guy came up to me before church and told me a Kentucky joke. I laughed politely. He then told me another one and another. It seemed rude at that point.

After church he sought me out and started telling me more Kentucky jokes. At this point, it was clear that he wasn't just poking fun. He was being insulting.

On another occasion I was walking on a trail with a UK tshirt on and a guy with a Penn State shirt gave me the middle finger. This was right after we had beaten them in football.

Finally, I once congratulated an IU fan who was obnoxious for winning the title. His reply, "Well, I know you always knew we were the superior program! It is good for you to finally admit it!"
It’s true. Of course there are rare occasions where someone may truly be mentally unhinged (like the church story. I never wear UK gear in enemy territory. I mean are you hoping to get heckled?? We all know what happened the last time uk played at IU.

Last edited:
I've been in FL since 1978...... first Miami but in Naples since 1985........ Believe it or not Ohio St are the worst down here.
No problem with fans of any of the Florida teams.

It’s true. Of course there are rare occasions where someone may truly be mentally unhinged (like the church story. I never wear UK gear in enemy territory. I mean are you hoping to get heckled?? We all know what happened the last time uk played at IU.

So, you have no experience as a UK fan in enemy territory because nobody knows you are a UK fan? Got it.

So, you have no experience as a UK fan in enemy territory because nobody knows you are a UK fan? Got it.
I’ve been in Knoxville, spent a LOT of time in Louisville/Kentuckiana, and never encountered a problem. Never wore UK gear those times.

Occasionally someone will ask me university I attended. I’ll tell them, and get a little ribbing, but it’s OK. I carry on after that in a way that gives them no ammunition to act acerbic.

Lived in Georgia, Florida and since '97 in Baton Rouge, LA. LSU fans are fine as long as they know they're better in football. They know their place in basketball. Great baseball history for them as well.
I learned what a 'log' was living in Florida. Loud, Obnoxious Gator. Read that in the local paper. When the gators aren't winning (like now) they're brutal. I have really enjoyed our several recent wins.

From the thread title, I immediately wondered who on my blocked list would be the first to raise their hand.

Was driving through Jasper, Indiana. To get to holiday world. 2010 or 2011, a truck pulled up and saw our KY plate. Told us to get back down to the tobacco fields and get some shoes.

I've lived in Ga, Tn, Ark, Al, Ky and worked in Fl, Ms. IL, Ind and Oh, I wasn't bashful about wearing UK items. The most knowledgeable fans were, by far, Bama fans, also the most respectful, Dawg fans weren't far behind. The worst fans were the Vols followed closely by Ohio St and Hoosier fans. Most if the U of L fans, which are few here in WKY, are very reasonable, but the closer you get to Loserville the worst they get. I'm old and not afraid to let everyone know I Bleed Blue.

I worked in So. Indiana-Jeffersonville for 16 years living in Louisville so we had a mix of UK & IU fans...+ some Louisville ones also. The banter was non-stop esp during Basket season. We had the upper hand most of the time and I loved it.

We moved to central NC when I was 12 after my Dad wad laid off from the Coal Mines. Lived there for 30 years. In central Michigan now, but will be heading back to NC soon.

One of my best friends is a huge Carolina fan. We talk Football and Basketball all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT