ADVERTISEMENT

Who had the biggest 1 year improvement in history as a Wildcat?

Tony Delk went from a benchwarmer to a 16ppg scorer between his freshman and sophomore season. Although that was probably due to his opportunity opening up more than actual improvement.
100%. In today's game TD would have been heavily replied upon from day 1.

Nick Richards needs love. I know his improvement really happened over the course of a few years, but he was pretty bad his first couple years. His junior year he was a legitimate force.
I was a big Richards supporter those first 2 years predicting he would have that break-out, and he really wasn't bad, he showed potential. He just needed better strength.

Reactions: fatguy87
I was a big Richards supporter those first 2 years predicting he would have that break-out, and he really wasn't bad, he showed potential. He just needed better strength.
Yep, his biggest problem was his hands. The guy just could not catch a ball thrown his way his first couple years.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'll forget some, but off the top of my head, maybe Harrelson. Who else?
He was definitely the biggest improvement I've seen in any Wildcat. He was not a good player before the Louisville game in 2010-11 and eventually became an important factor to our unexpected Final Four run.

On that note, I don't know if we win it all in 2012 without the improvement in both play and the leadership levels of Darius Miller. I remember when he was called Disappearius Miller around these parts during his first three years here, and was a fan favorite during his sudden emergence his senior year. I remember some players like Anthony Davis mentioning that if it weren't for him, they would've been a much different team.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Nick Richards. Went from another forgettable Wildcat, to the poster-child for what hard work, development and sticking through it with the same school can do for you.

Reactions: true blue1
Nazr Mohammed
End of discussion!

Big Naz went from an EXTREMELY overweight, soft, out of shape big kid to an absolute FORCE for UK. I felt so bad for him after the 1997 championship game when he missed all of those FT’s. Then he and our Cats got redemption the next season!!

My favorite story from the 98 championship run was when we played UCLA they had a Center named Jeloni McCoy who was decent and he bragged about how he was MUCH better than Nazr and he was going to show everyone. Big Nazr didn’t say anything, he just went out and DOMINATED McCoy and the Bruins. He was the leading scorer and blocked about 7-8 shots!!

Also Big Nazr played 20 seasons in the NBA!! His son Is a decent HS player and I would LOVE to see him get a UK offer.

WCS going from being absolute trash as a freshman to being a consensus first team All-American and top 10 draft pick is pretty amazing.
Not really.

WCS was decent as a FR, far from "trash".
His per30min stats (pt,reb,blk) were:
FR: 10.6, 7.9, 2.6
SOPH: 8.6, 7.7, 3.6
JR: 10.3, 7.4, 2.0

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Nazr gotta be up there.
Rodney Dent as well. If Dent doesn’t get hurt that team is probably a 1 seed.

Under Cal Harrelson, Quickley, Richards,

Of the names not mentioned, Darius Miller's production doubled from his sophomore season to his Junior year. Then of course his senior year leaving as a National Champion! Jeff Sheppard before sitting out in 96-97, jumped from 188 points, 65 assists, 70 rebounds, 16 steals & 22 3's up to 521 points scored, 71 made 3's, 151 rebounds, 104 assists & 47 steals in '98.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montana81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT