ADVERTISEMENT

Who feels like this is comparable to MARCH MADNESS?

Bad comparison. Different sport. Different situation. March Madness is the culmination of the basketball season. This is the middle of the football season. Basketball fans are struggling to comprehend what is happening with UK football.
:scream::scream::football::football::boxing:[banana]:cool2:[roll]good job

Bad comparison. Different sport. Different situation. March Madness is the culmination of the basketball season. This is the middle of the football season. Basketball fans are struggling to comprehend what is happening with UK football.

I don't think it's a bad comparison at all. This is just why football is a better sport and why the "basketball-only" people will always be missing out.

I have passionately loved Kentucky basketball since they day I was born in 1979. I always will. March Madness IS the culmination of all great things related to basketball. It is pure excitement and joy. If I could've, I would've named my children Adolph, Joe, Tubby, and John, BUT...

Football is just more fun. And now that we have a program that is competing, people are waking up to rush. Whereas March Madness is 3 weeks of morphine-pumping insanity, college football season is 3 straight months of it. The last three Sunday afternoons it has started this way for me: I am watching an NFL game and realize....it's not enough. Monday rolls around and I am scouring the internet for all the articles. Every little snippet. Tuesday is here and I am looking up every clip about every potential recruit. By Wednesday I am already a frothing mess...."Why? WHY?! Why is it not gameday yet?!!!" Every day I daydream about upsetting UGA, about Kash grabbing an INT in a tie game at A&M and running it in for the winning score, or Benny running for 8 TDs in Knoxville on the way to a 70-point beatdown of the Little Orange. The crowds of 60,80, and 100s of thousands. The weather, the smells, the lights, the playcalling....it's just all better.

The fullness of that experience is just setting in on so many UK fans and it is glorious! More. More, we say!

This season I have the same nervousness week in and week out that I have always had, but at the same time it is different. I am nervous as to how many TDs Benny will score, how many sacks Josh will have, and how many points we will win by, NOT by "how are we going to blow it this week?" There is no fear, only football joy.

Two very different sports.
Every football game is important for the pursuit of a championship at most every level of play.
In basketball you could theoretically lose every game of the season and still win a championship in tournament play.

Honestly I don't see the comparison. Every game doesn't matter to Alabama. They have like one or two games a year that actually matter in the rest are glorify scrimmages when you already know the outcome. It's pretty similar for all the top teams. And in football you pretty much know who's going to be in the playoff every season before the season starts. Having four teams in the playoffs versus 68 as a big difference as well. And as someone pointed out you can have a bad season and basketball and still make the NCAA tournament. You certainly can't do that in football.

For me personally, the way this season is going, I can compare the two. If the cats happen to drop a game I will be just as upset as I was when the bb team lost to Wisconsin.

Reactions: KY1WING and Hjack
I don't think it's a bad comparison at all. This is just why football is a better sport and why the "basketball-only" people will always be missing out.

I have passionately loved Kentucky basketball since they day I was born in 1979. I always will. March Madness IS the culmination of all great things related to basketball. It is pure excitement and joy. If I could've, I would've named my children Adolph, Joe, Tubby, and John, BUT...

Football is just more fun. And now that we have a program that is competing, people are waking up to rush. Whereas March Madness is 3 weeks of morphine-pumping insanity, college football season is 3 straight months of it. The last three Sunday afternoons it has started this way for me: I am watching an NFL game and realize....it's not enough. Monday rolls around and I am scouring the internet for all the articles. Every little snippet. Tuesday is here and I am looking up every clip about every potential recruit. By Wednesday I am already a frothing mess...."Why? WHY?! Why is it not gameday yet?!!!" Every day I daydream about upsetting UGA, about Kash grabbing an INT in a tie game at A&M and running it in for the winning score, or Benny running for 8 TDs in Knoxville on the way to a 70-point beatdown of the Little Orange. The crowds of 60,80, and 100s of thousands. The weather, the smells, the lights, the playcalling....it's just all better.

The fullness of that experience is just setting in on so many UK fans and it is glorious! More. More, we say!

This season I have the same nervousness week in and week out that I have always had, but at the same time it is different. I am nervous as to how many TDs Benny will score, how many sacks Josh will have, and how many points we will win by, NOT by "how are we going to blow it this week?" There is no fear, only football joy.
This team has turned football into a mystical experience for me: they've slowed down time! Like you, I'm consuming everything I can find that's UK football related.

For the first year EVER, I missed the Madness campout date. I didn't realize it was coming up until being shocked to see the rush on my morning news last week! And even though I'm a life-long fan of UK football, I have always, and still do, consider myself a basketball fan first and foremost. But this year, this team, has elevated the football program to at least an equal footing. I probably shouldn't just isolate this year's team, because really it's more of a Stoops era thing...I've always liked his plan for building this program, even if I've occasionally not liked some of his individual game planning and management, and this year's team is the culmination of sticking to and executing that plan. I hope we can keep this staff together and here for a good long time

Is it Saturday yet?

When you’ve almost never accomplished anything it creates suspense

That’s why all the basketball fans have all of a sudden shown up over here. They’ll probably leave after the first loss because they’ll think we’re out of the tourney,

Reactions: The-Hack
This team has turned football into a mystical experience for me: they've slowed down time! Like you, I'm consuming everything I can find that's UK football related.

For the first year EVER, I missed the Madness campout date. I didn't realize it was coming up until being shocked to see the rush on my morning news last week! And even though I'm a life-long fan of UK football, I have always, and still do, consider myself a basketball fan first and foremost. But this year, this team, has elevated the football program to at least an equal footing. I probably shouldn't just isolate this year's team, because really it's more of a Stoops era thing...I've always liked his plan for building this program, even if I've occasionally not liked some of his individual game planning and management, and this year's team is the culmination of sticking to and executing that plan. I hope we can keep this staff together and here for a good long time

Is it Saturday yet?

If you don't mind my asking....who is Nick Horvath and why does he suck?

That’s why all the basketball fans have all of a sudden shown up over here. They’ll probably leave after the first loss because they’ll think we’re out of the tourney,
Nothing is uglier than the contrived UK football fan vs. UK basketball fan rivalry.

If you're a football-only fan, God help you; you've suffered through the 9th circle of hell and back without any relief from the greatest basketball program (and one of the great sports entities in US history) of all time. No clue why you'd turn your back on this state's premier sports legacy. If you're a basketball-only fan, you're a curiosity as well: Kentucky is America, and Americans love football. Being a consistent loser is hardly an excuse- the football team has always worn blue and is called the Kentucky Wildcats. Both sports comprise the only footprint the NCAA has on the American sports landscape. The Cats have been historically dominant in one, and seem to be emerging in the other. It's a great time to be a UK football and basketball fan. Embrace it.

^What makes you think I don’t like basketball? I’m just saying there’s a lot of fans on the wagon right now that will jump off as soon as we lose. I know because I’m related to several of them.

I wo
For me personally, the way this season is going, I can compare the two. If the cats happen to drop a game I will be just as upset as I was when the bb team lost to Wisconsin.
Not really a good comparison. The team that lost to Wisconsin was a game away from a title. Not to mention were the favorites to win it.

No one in their right mind thinks we have any prayer of winning the football championship this season. I can tell you this, if we lose at A&M as a 6 point dog in a regular season game, I won’t come close to feeling as bad as when we lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four.

Lol. We were eliminated from the 4 game tourney before season began. If you aren't Ohio state, clemson, alabama, georgia, Oklahoma and Notre dame there is no hope of a playoff spot . As tim Brando said on finebaum the sport is turning into the nba a bit. So the every game matters montra really only applies to a few teams. Everyone else is just playing for a better bowl.

After suffering through over twenty seasons I’m saying this is better.

Never enjoyed any sporting event as much as being in the stands for these fball games. Great atmosphere and totally fun.

Lol. We were eliminated from the 4 game tourney before season began. If you aren't Ohio state, clemson, alabama, georgia, Oklahoma and Notre dame there is no hope of a playoff spot . As tim Brando said on finebaum the sport is turning into the nba a bit. So the every game matters montra really only applies to a few teams. Everyone else is just playing for a better bowl.
Wrong. If we run the table and beat Alabama, not only will we be in the playoff, we’ll be seeded number 1.

From a out and about stand point it's similar with bars being packed and ppl going nuts and just the overall excitement and atmosphere. I think that's what OP meant..not the actual game.

This is not true, I’m basketball first and I’ve been coming over here through all the bad seasons. The paranoia/insecurity football only or first fans have towards basketball is their problem as it’s created solely by them. I bet almost every basketball fan wants nothing but the best for football, same fan base pulling for the same school.

Basketball is not the reason UK fb has been awful, when fb fans get away from that line of thinking then everybody will be better off. Or keep thinking everything is basketballs fault if it makes you feel better.

This is not true, I’m basketball first and I’ve been coming over here through all the bad seasons. The paranoia/insecurity football only or first fans have towards basketball is their problem as it’s created solely by them. I bet almost every basketball fan wants nothing but the best for football, same fan base pulling for the same school.

Basketball is not the reason UK fb has been awful, when fb fans get away from that line of thinking then everybody will be better off. Or keep thinking everything is basketballs fault if it makes you feel better.

Where did anyone say football is bad because of b-ball? I’m not putting one against the other, just saying a lot of basketball fans have shown up because we’re winning but will go away if we lose a few games. Just read the game thread if we’re not doing well...it’s sickening. I’m a basketball fan but I don’t just show up when we’re winning or losing.

Where did anyone say football is bad because of b-ball? I’m not putting one against the other, just saying a lot of basketball fans have shown up because we’re winning but will go away if we lose a few games. Just read the game thread if we’re not doing well...it’s sickening. I’m a basketball fan but I don’t just show up when we’re winning or losing.
Who? It sounds like you are just using a stereotype but don’t know for sure if they’re bb fans. There’s a lot of fb fans acting bad in the game thread also. I don’t think your basing this on anything other than a guess. Besides do you not expect bb fans to be into it when the season gets here? I bet fb fans would do the same if the season started after bb.

No, I just don’t want them slamming our football team, talking about how bad we suck when things aren’t going well. Like I said, I even see it with my family.

No, I just don’t want them slamming our football team, talking about how bad we suck when things aren’t going well. Like I said, I even see it with my family.
Well if they are posting sickening things in the game thread then you should be happy to see them go. But then you slam them for going too, I don’t think they can win the way you have set it up.

As a mainly basketball fan I agree that it is a little disorienting. I am excited to see the success this year but it is hard to fully grasp how to calibrate my expectations. People are talking about beating Alabama and to me that sounds a little over the top. Am I crazy but wouldn't it take a great day for us and either injuries or a major malfunction for us to beat them? Eh, if we win the winnable games we are still in great shape for a solid bowl so anything else is gravy.

I'll defend this post. Obviously the context of games are quite different in the individual sports. Duh.

However, I remember that 2014 tournament run. I had ZERO expectation of even beating Kansas St in the first round. So when we beat Wichita, I was walking around that whole week in happy disbelief. The next weekend was more of the same, how are we doing this - but wait, we must really be for real! Then Wisconsin, it was like omg this is absolutely legit. If I recall the UConn game was canceled... yeah that's the ticket.

Anyway, I feel like UK football is just riding that euphoric wave right now. It went from disbelief to belief, and it feels like we're playing with house money. I know I'm looking forward to each Saturday like it'll give me the joy of a NCAA tourney game...

Reactions: Pawpaw42
How about we (very small percentage, but still) stop acting like the football and basketball teams play for completely different universities? Some of you are the worst. Good grief.
Unfortunately some of our basketball “fans” live that out. How do you defend that?

Nothing is uglier than the contrived UK football fan vs. UK basketball fan rivalry.

If you're a football-only fan, God help you; you've suffered through the 9th circle of hell and back without any relief from the greatest basketball program (and one of the great sports entities in US history) of all time. No clue why you'd turn your back on this state's premier sports legacy. If you're a basketball-only fan, you're a curiosity as well: Kentucky is America, and Americans love football. Being a consistent loser is hardly an excuse- the football team has always worn blue and is called the Kentucky Wildcats. Both sports comprise the only footprint the NCAA has on the American sports landscape. The Cats have been historically dominant in one, and seem to be emerging in the other. It's a great time to be a UK football and basketball fan. Embrace it.
I'm a long time fan of UK and been on-line msg boards since they became big and I've never seen a football only fan so that's a BS augment but there are plenty of basketball only fans. I could never understand it I guess some people can only root for constant winners.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT