• Pitino returns, OR Calipari changes his mind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the field

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Not who do you want, that can be a separate poll. But who do you think will be our coach?

I only picked the field to be different, but Dawn Staley would peak my interest.
And yes, I expect crazy responses.

Imagine what the media would do with this? The whole nation would be following the program.

ESPN would go weekly to a review.

Staley can recruit Moms just as well as Cal has.

• Haha
Reactions: westerncat
This has not been said yet, but what about NC State's coach?

I know it's not perfect but they made the final four this year.

I'm afraid, I just don't know enough...hopefully mitch has some better experts.

Jay Wright
Jay Wright should be on the list and I think there was feelers after the loss to Oakland. I don't think Wright will come. If for some reason there was no feelers you immediately send them. I still think it's a no.

Dan Hurley
The first call no matter what happens tonight is Dan Hurley. Make him say No. Ask him what it would take to get him here. Even though he may not have the buoyant personality for UK, the guys mentality is to win. He wants to murder every team. When they were playing lazy in the opening round of the tournament this year, up by 25, Hurley was displeased because his team stopped playing hard. This guy is literally what UK needs and has been longing for since the Pitino days.

Nate Oats
The second call is Nate Oats. He can recruit, has a fun style of play, has the personality to be here. Not the first call. Nate Oats is hungry for a title.

Billy Donovan
He's the third call, would be an exciting hire. He's my third call simply because the modern era of college basketball landscape has changed since he last was here. I think Billy would be a wildcard, where he would either knock it out of the park or be a disappointment. I think the majority of the UK fans would give him a major benefit of the doubt.

Rick Pitino
He's another wildcard, but in the middle of the list. I think Rick would be the guy you hire to train another coach to take over, be like a mentor.

Still Need More Time
These coaches I am going to list are intriguing hires down the road but still need more time to show consistency.
- Tommy Lloyd
- Todd Golden

Scott Drew
I think he would NOT excite the fan base. Sure he also won a title, but he had similar results as UK this year. I think Drew is like a version of Tubby but can actually recruit. He has a window who can do well, but the pressure may be too much for him. He's the back up call in my opinion. If you literally can't get anyone else, you call him last.

My hope is we go after proven winners. Not a flash in the pan hire like Billy G when he had two good years at A&M which puts me in the mindset of the NC State coach someone mentioned. He wasn't even making the tournament until a late run.

You call Brad Stevens, Jay Wright and Dan Hurley first and throw the bank at them. If they all three say no then you go to Nate Oats and Billy Donovan. If they say no you go to Scott Drew. If Scott Drew says no then we are 100% screwed plain and simple.

I voted Oats just because I don't see the top three coming and I believe Oats has proven he can coach and recruit and booster would be willing to pay the 18 million to get him.

Reactions: westerncat
1) Billy Donovan - Bring back the Rick Pitino style of play to UK. His NBA ties and the UK name will keep the recruiting at a high level.

2) Nate Oats - Plays a fast pace shoots the 3 style of exciting basketball. Shown he can recruit and understands the transfer portal.

3) Todd Golden - Young enthusiastic coach that in 1 year shown ability to use transfer portal to build a very good roster.

I picked Hurley because of age, but I will stick to my guns as I did when I thought Calipari would be fired, and say Jay Wright will be the next HC of the UK MBB team.

If the common fan knows it, then Mitch and any hiring committee has to know that Scott Drew (Mitch’s buddy) is not going to reactivate BBN.

This has to be a grand slam hire, and Scott Drew is not it!

I believe the path of least resistance is Scott Drew. But, despite some of the opinions here I wish it would be Bruce Pearl and I will explain why. First the man can coach. Second he has over-achieved with way less talent than Cal. But, the most important thing is he is an extrovert that would engage the fan base and donors, make it fun, and his enthusiasm would be what a program like Kentucky needs with BBN. I liked Tubby but our program needs an extrovert and one who enjoys our fans.

If any of you feel like some of his past infractions are that significant than tell me you are not a hypocrite when a guy like Cal was coming to our program and you were OK!

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
I'm not going to get too caught up in the prospects or the search. I will be happy with anyone who isn't Cal and puts UK's success first. I just want them driven to dominate college basketball and put all their energy, focus and motivation toward that end.

That being said, I'd be REALLY happy if it's Hurley. He fits what I said above perfectly.

My hope is we go after proven winners. Not a flash in the pan hire like Billy G when he had two good years at A&M which puts me in the mindset of the NC State coach someone mentioned. He wasn't even making the tournament until a late run.

You call Brad Stevens, Jay Wright and Dan Hurley first and throw the bank at them. If they all three say no then you go to Nate Oats and Billy Donovan.

At that point, just go to Pitino. Give him a 2-3 year deal and a chance to win again and make amends with the fans. In the meantime, it gives MB 2 years to target and observe a more permanent replacement.

Listening to KSR pre-show with MJ, everyone's favorite radio host. His top 5:

1. Dan Hurley: probably won't take it but you at least make the call
2. Billy Donovan: need the Bulls to lose the play-in game, can't wait 3-4 weeks
3. Nate Oats: slam dunk hire buyout is only $10M
4. Scott Drew
5. Jay Wright

Matt Norlander supposedly reporting that Calipari had sent out feelers about the Ohio St job back in February. So Cal saw the writing on the wall.

At that point, just go to Pitino. Give him a 2-3 year deal and a chance to win again and make amends with the fans. In the meantime, it gives MB 2 years to target and observe a more permanent replacement.
Thing is I am not sure Pitino is one that can make anything happen in 2-3 years. He doesn't have players to bring with him and he's not a current popular name to draw a lot in. I think the time is right for Hurley (prayer) or Oats who to me can have a lot of success and has a long time left to coach.

Thing is I am not sure Pitino is one that can make anything happen in 2-3 years. He doesn't have players to bring with him and he's not a current popular name to draw a lot in. I think the time is right for Hurley (prayer) or Oats who to me can have a lot of success and has a long time left to coach.

Agree with you…just thinking if we find ourselves whiffing on Tier 1 and then Tier 2 coaches.

Reactions: UPSCat4080
No one knows much about Drew’s new deal at Baylor , with them being a private school. It’d be interesting if there’s a buyout , etc

With Drew leading the poll and getting talked about, here’s what he probably brings:
Jalen Bridges: 12/6reb super senior
Langston Love: 11 point 3 point shooter junior
Jayden Nunn: 10 point 3 point shooter senior
VJ Edgecombe
Rob Wright-25th prospect
Jason Asemota:top 50 prospect

I’d assume Yves goes pro and Drew would have a foundation with the above but still be missing a lot.

Listening to KSR pre-show with MJ, everyone's favorite radio host. His top 5:

1. Dan Hurley: probably won't take it but you at least make the call
2. Billy Donovan: need the Bulls to lose the play-in game, can't wait 3-4 weeks
3. Nate Oats: slam dunk hire buyout is only $10M
4. Scott Drew
5. Jay Wright

Matt Norlander supposedly reporting that Calipari had sent out feelers about the Ohio St job back in February. So Cal saw the writing on the wall.
I just don't see how a coach who has only 1 S16 win is a "slam dunk".
I'd rather take my chances on a young coach like Golden or (insert list here).

1) Billy Donovan - Bring back the Rick Pitino style of play to UK. His NBA ties and the UK name will keep the recruiting at a high level.

2) Nate Oats - Plays a fast pace shoots the 3 style of exciting basketball. Shown he can recruit and understands the transfer portal.

3) Todd Golden - Young enthusiastic coach that in 1 year shown ability to use transfer portal to build a very good roster.
I like your list, and probably most likely. And glad to see you put Golden out there. I really like him.. But on Trilly discord last night, some scuttlebutt about something going on at Florida behind the scenes.

What about Brad Underwood. I have watched Illinois and like him.

I only picked the field to be different, but Dawn Staley would peak my interest.
And yes, I expect crazy responses.

Imagine what the media would do with this? The whole nation would be following the program.

ESPN would go weekly to a review.

Staley can recruit Moms just as well as Cal has.
Yeah let's entrust the future of UK basketball to a woman who has never coached a men's basketball game in her life. Come on man

Another thought......Sean Miller. Is he far enough removed now from the FBI issues at Zona? Dude can flat out coach and if it weren't for Kaminski and Whiskey he makes two straight F4s.

I like your list, and probably most likely. And glad to see you put Golden out there. I really like him.. But on Trilly discord last night, some scuttlebutt about something going on at Florida behind the scenes.

What about Brad Underwood. I have watched Illinois and like him.
Why hire a 60 year old who hasn't done anything? If you want someone who hasn't been to the final four go with a younger guy with more energy and fire.

Reactions: Snarks0
Yeah let's entrust the future of UK basketball to a woman who has never coached a men's basketball game in her life. Come on man
Where are we today? Our total roster is in complete influx. If Mitch cannot get any movement from the top of his list, he's not reaching out to Pitino, even though he might be the best fit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT