ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s your “face” of Kentucky basketball

morgousky

All-American
Sep 5, 2009
this isn’t necessarily asking who the obvious choice is for all generations, but who’s the face you visualize from childhood or when you became enamored with UK?

Personally, I go back and forth. Ford and Mashburn are the first players I remember, but Delk was the first guy I grew to recognize as an older kid (10ish). If I had to name one, I guess I have to go with 00.

Reactions: antiduke_99
Pat Riley should be imo but it’s gotta be Issel. Someone who still is associated with UK played for the baron and has been billed as the all time greatest cat by many. Once Issel is gone then the torch gets passed but while he’s alive he the “face” of UK basketball. Has been all my life and no one has done anything to supplant him.

If I’m allowed to use coaches as well, I’m sorry to say.....

It’s Pitino all day and no one comes close.

I started watching the Cats in 1966 so I visualize quite a few faces when I think of UK basketball. I loved watching Kyle Macy play, though. He was also a student at UK when I was and I saw him around campus quite a bit. The player that has been the most impactful however, has to be Anthony Davis. I can still see him smacking his chest in the NCAA tournament and yelling, “This is my stage!” Loved watching that young man absolutely dominate a game...

Reactions: morgousky
Issel all the way for me. All time greatest (yeah, I know the youngsters will say AD, and he is great too but only here 1 year) and still around Lexington and UK quite often. Many other reasons for him already listed above so I don't need to repeat.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Jamal Mashburn - he was Kentucky in the 90s. Even after he left most incoming superstars or forwards were compared to Mashburn

Kyle Macy

Same here. Macy was my first favorite UK player & has always been the guy I immediately associate with UK & vice versa. He was a two-time All-American, 3 time All-SEC & was UK’s first consensus SEC Player Of The Year in 1980. So, he was the face of UK basketball when I became a fan. And, he was universally loved by the vast majority of Cat fans. There’s a reason that an entire generation of UK fans wiped their hands on their socks at the FT line. But, if I’m picking somebody before my time it would be Rupp or Issel.

Reactions: KFuqua
Now is Cal obviously.

All time, I'd have to say Oliver Simmons or Todd Tackett...Junior Braddy is right there with Nate Knight, but neither are as good as Adam Williams- wait he didn't play, right?

In all seriousness, face of the program is always the Coach to me. Pitino, Tubby, wait while I barf (Gillispie) and now Cal...in my life of following.

Mashburn from a player perspective.

For me, it was either Tubby Smith or Tom Leach. First basketball season I remember following vividly was 02-03’. I remember vague random memories from before that, and that season is still a little bit fuzzy. The 2004 loss to UAB is the first time I remember truly being sad/dejected about a loss. I actually have more football memories from a younger age than basketball.

As far as players go I’m having a hard time picking between Sparks, Tayshaun, or Bogans. They all were pretty big to me when I was a kid. I’d probably lean Tayshaun. He’s my first favorite UK player that I remember being my favorite.

Last edited:
Kenny Walker. He played in mid 80s when I first got cable TV and could watch many of their games. He was my favorite player for quite a long time. Probably still my favorite. And it’s cool when they show him at Rupp during current games. Looks like he attends home games regularly.
He does. He sits in the little press row in upper level. Right below my season tickets

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
As far as Kentucky basketball the culture, it would be Hall and Caywood for me.

As far as players are concerned the twin towers of Bowie and Turpin, followed by Walker, Bennett and Rex were probably the ones who influenced me the most early on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT