ADVERTISEMENT

Which profession do you have the lowest opinion of?

Anyone that says they “hate” cops over the age of 30 is immature, stupid or out committing crimes. And if you’re committing crimes well, we all hate you as well and I hope the cops catch your stupid ass.

Police are awesome, have one of the hardest jobs in the world and have to put up with 26 year old privileged kids screaming f*ck the police because they heard it in a rap song and smoked a blunt one time.

If you’re committing crimes besides traffic violations, weed, drinking in excess in public, pop some mushies* etc well then it’s your fault you’re getting in trouble and you likely deserve it.

*had to add the hallucies in for the clown and I.

I have the utmost respect for them and honestly, I can't believe anyone would willingly sign up for that, because you're putting your life in jeopardy for people that, by and large hate you.

Last edited:
Good and bad in every profession. It's those who use their profession/customer in a despicable manner that gives it a bad look.

If I need a lawyer or a doctor/surgeon, I actually WANT someone that is an absolute God complex asshole. I'm not hiring them to be nice.
No actually you don't, at least on the civil side of the law, those kind of lawyers drive cost of litigation out of sight. And judges HATE them

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Journalists/reporters...there are some good ones but the plethora of bad ones outweigh anything positive from this profession.

Teachers...Great respect for teachers but once they bring money into the equation, this shoots to the top of my list. You know going in you aren't making the best of money, You are off 3 months out of the year so if you make $65k annually, would they work extra 3 months for $80k?

County Clerk Office...I don't think I need to explain.
I get what you are saying but I am married to a teacher of 20+ years in a rural public school and she doesn't make near 65K a year. With all the extra trainings, in service days, working in the classroom and other things she does during the "breaks" it doesn't equate to being off 3 months out of the year either. She went in at 7:00 AM yesterday, had teacher meetings after school, then had to work on a grant for the school until time for a class that she is required to take as part of the grant position she is in and finished that up at 9:00 PM. Had I not taken her some supper to school she would not have gotten to eat or would have just snacked on something

I, like you apparently according to your username, am a banker and I didn't put anywhere near 14 hours in yesterday. I don't have a masters degree working on a doctorate and yet I still make more than she does. Despite all of that she never complains, she doesn't run to Frankfort to protest and she hasn't tried to jump ship to another profession despite being offered several jobs making more money. Why not? Because she loves kids and wants to help them make something of themselves.

So while I understand that some teachers are loud and vocal, just like some fans on this board, some of them are in the profession for the love of the kids.

Agreed! Especially the first two.

I'll add that I've never understood the reverence for some professions. Teachers, nurses, enlisted military. There's good and bad in those groups, just like any other profession. Why people tend to treat them all like saints is beyond me.

I agree. No one is owed respect or reverence based on profession. Take the military, for example. I lived really close to Fort Knox for almost 2 decades. I met some of the finest, most upstanding men and women to ever live who wore the U.S. Army uniform. I also met some of the most abhorrent POS who wore the same uniform. I’m sure it’s the same with any profession.

I agree. No one is owed respect or reverence based on profession. Take the military, for example. I lived really close to Fort Knox for almost 2 decades. I met some of the finest, most upstanding men and women to ever live who wore the U.S. Army uniform. I also met some of the most abhorrent POS who wore the same uniform. I’m sure it’s the same with any profession.
Certainly true for lawyers

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I agree with the first two.

I don't ever interact with cops so I can't speak to it really. I have gotten pulled over twice in the last 20 years and that's it.

My experiences have generally been poor, and the only two times I’ve ever “needed” them to help me, they were assholes.

I had my car broken into twice, about 10 years apart in two different cities. I needed a police report to file a claim with insurance to get my window fixed. That’s it.

They made sure to tell me I was wasting their time and I wouldn’t get my stuff back. I made sure to tell them I just needed the piece of paper to file a claim.

In 2012, I lived in an apartment complex and the local sheriff’s office tried to serve a warrant on the wrong apartment (mine) after 10 p.m. on a work night, called me a liar when I told them the person they were looking for wasn’t there because I DIDNT KNOW WHO THAT PERSON WAS, they claimed my car was the suspect’s car and I told them to run the tags. Car came back registered to me. No apology.

They tried to force their way into my residence and I told them no because they had an arrest warrant and not a search warrant, and their warrant wasn’t for my address, so they had no right to search my residence. They accused me of hiding something. I told them no less than 10 times they were looking for the building behind mine because they were at 130-D and the warrant said 134-D, but reading is hard apparently.

When they finally realized they were at the wrong place, they didn’t apologize and the little tiny feller who did most of the barking scolded me for not being nicer to them.

I’ve had a couple OK interactions with cops, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I don’t wish any officer any harm or anything like that. I just tend to find a lot of them get off on being dicks to people.

Everybody hates cops, until they need one.

As I just posted, I needed them twice for simple administrative work for insurance purposes and they acted like I personally shit in their lunch boxes or something. Two different departments. A decade apart. Same attitude both times.

Didn’t really feel protected or served either time and I was “yes, sir,” “no, sir” both times until they got smart.

I get what you are saying but I am married to a teacher of 20+ years in a rural public school and she doesn't make near 65K a year. With all the extra trainings, in service days, working in the classroom and other things she does during the "breaks" it doesn't equate to being off 3 months out of the year either. She went in at 7:00 AM yesterday, had teacher meetings after school, then had to work on a grant for the school until time for a class that she is required to take as part of the grant position she is in and finished that up at 9:00 PM. Had I not taken her some supper to school she would not have gotten to eat or would have just snacked on something

I, like you apparently according to your username, am a banker and I didn't put anywhere near 14 hours in yesterday. I don't have a masters degree working on a doctorate and yet I still make more than she does. Despite all of that she never complains, she doesn't run to Frankfort to protest and she hasn't tried to jump ship to another profession despite being offered several jobs making more money. Why not? Because she loves kids and wants to help them make something of themselves.

So while I understand that some teachers are loud and vocal, just like some fans on this board, some of them are in the profession for the love of the kids.
I agree with you 100%. I have worked with teachers in the past that make above $80k a year annually due to their time in the system. I dont think the ones I have come across have the dedication that your wife does so she is not one that I would be talking about. My mom was a teacher and I never heard her once complain about pay b/c she loved what she did. Your wife should be making more even in a rural setting if over 20+yrs.

I agree with you 100%. I have worked with teachers in the past that make above $80k a year annually due to their time in the system. I dont think the ones I have come across have the dedication that your wife does so she is not one that I would be talking about. My mom was a teacher and I never heard her once complain about pay b/c she loved what she did. Your wife should be making more even in a rural setting if over 20+yrs.
Sorry I said she was working on her doctorate but it is actually her rank 1. Hopefully that will bump her closer to the 60k mark when she does.

Everyone's got their own police stories (i have probably a dozen or two and they are all positive, even when i was a schmuck), but it still cracks me up that it's one of the few professions people like to lump 90% of the decent police, in with the corrupt and bad ones.

We don't seem to do that with other professions. I may not LIKE what Project Managers do, but I don't think the 1 douche PM overshadows the 9 others who are really just doing their job. But for some reason the acronym "ACAB" exists for police, and no other workforce.

Well, a project manager can’t take away my freedom but a police officer can.

I think police officers have a great responsibility and a pretty horrible job. However, backing up and defending the bad ones kind of spoils the bunch.

Police unions should probably be broken up or made illegal.

I think police officers have a great responsibility and a pretty horrible job. However, backing up and defending the bad ones kind of spoils the bunch.

But who exactly backs the bad ones? Does anyone here think we shouldn't try and eliminate that 5% or whatever? Every single job could use to eliminate the bottom feeders, and just because Cops carry a gun doesn't mean they're the ONLY ones we need to regulate in this manner.

And as for PMs, they certainly can, and do, take away my freedom, more so than any police officer has.

I think we need to stop confusing what Cops have the ability to do (in this case, "take your freedom)", with what they actually do to you, on a personal level. A cop is no more likely to take my freedom, than a teacher is likely to ruin education for a student, or a financial advisor is to lose their customer money.

Last edited:

So your issue isn't with the "profession" per se. It is with a few individuals within that profession, and the advocacy group that represents them.

None of that has anything to do with the original question. Unless your goal was to come across as lacking critical thinking and logic skills.

• Haha
Reactions: Hank Camacho
Most teachers work a job in the summer, plus have trainings as well. They absolutely deserve more money for what they do.

One of the reasons for the teacher shortage is that the pay is garbage.
True, but the pay has always been poor and we still had/have good teachers who love teaching young people. The two biggest factors that I repeatedly hear is the lack of discipline applied to students and lack of support from the administration.

Last edited:
True, but the pay has always been poor and we still had/have good teachers who love teaching young people. The two biggest factors that I repeatedly hear is the lack of discipline applied to students and lack of support from the administration.
The pay has always been poor, but that doesn't mean it should stay that way. They have an important job and should be paid like it.

I had a reporter write a story about a talk I gave once. It was like she was from the bizarro world. Up was down. Anyway, whatever she wrote I certainly didn't say. No respect for the profession.
I was interviewed by the NY Times back in 1989 when I was Drill Instructor at the Ft. Sill Drill Instructor school during the Army's downsizing. They misquoted me (by design no doubt) referencing what I would do if the army ask (ordered) me to leave the military because of mandatory downsizing. I simply said I would leave as it was what I was expected to do and that I would take some time traveling before finding another job and that I had always wanted to go to Australia so, I would spend some time there. They worded as if I said I would expatriate myself and go to live in Australia. Never trusted anything the media/news organizations said after that.

Last edited:
Personally, I can't stand anyone associated with charities or non-profit organizations. I don't believe in handouts and they are ALWAYS asking for one. Plus, they are "helping" people when they should be teaching people to help themselves. They're just enablers. Eff those guys. :)

Telemarketers is the answer for me. I'm tired of constantly receiving calls about student debt and vehicle warranties(neither applies to me).

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Teachers...Great respect for teachers but once they bring money into the equation, this shoots to the top of my list. You know going in you aren't making the best of money, You are off 3 months out of the year so if you make $65k annually, would they work extra 3 months for $80k?

I don't think you know a lot about teacher's pay then. Some may make that but by and large it's not close, at least in south central Kentucky. Factor in as many have remarked the blatant disregard of respect from (many - not all) students AND even worse parents, it's a wonder anyone does it. I've substituted (a few days here and there due to disability benefits) at every grade level from K - 12 and there's no way I would do it full time for the average pay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT