ADVERTISEMENT

Which opposing basketball coach, football coach & athletic director, past or present did you dislike the most over the years?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Mine would be

Basketball coach - Denny Crum when he was at UofL he always had some snide remark to make about UK. My dislike for Crum bordered on hate. Then after he left Louisville I started really liking the guy, he seemed like a good guy.

Football coach - Steve Spurrier This punk would get a 50/60 point lead on us & would run a trick play with 20 seconds left in the game for another touchdown & would stand there laughing about it

Athletic Director - Tom Jurich - This guy always gave me the impression of being a total & complete thug. Would do anything to win. A person that was totally lacking in any morals.

Last edited:
Coach K - through my teens and 20’s I absolutely detested this guy. To me UK was always the program that should have been highlighted and during this era ESPN made a hard turn to bolster Duke. It affected me more when I actually went to the state of North Carolina and saw that Duke was nowhere near the level of UK statewide. Barely saw a mention of Duke anywhere outside of Durham. Local program who ESPN plastered everywhere to make look a bigger deal than they really are. Scheyer thankfully doesn’t have that way about him and slowly Duke is turning into just an everyone else school. Once the conference shifts happen and they’re left out the UNC / Duke rivalry is gone. They won’t withstand everything K built.

Alternate - Coach Cal - growing up around Memphis I absolutely detested this clown. Held my nose when we made the move I knew we had to but sorry I grew up Pitino and still am. During his runs at Memphis while UK had Tubby I dealt with pure hell while his players were being arrested for drugs, soliciting prostitution, and inciting riots downtown. Until UK gave him the ability to recruit non convicts - his players were always thugs (except the two I know) he was a pure scumbag with scumbag players. The second I was able to turn on him I did so immediately.

Philip Fulmer UT - again growing up in Tennessee country as a kid during the fulmer years as a UK fan was unbearably bad. Still, gave’m hell and still do when I talk to my friends. The decline of UT football and that fat bastard has helped change my life for the better. between the years of NIL and cream filled fulmer’s they went totally in the trash showing that without turning in Bama and being snitches they would have tanked my entire childhood. Biggest NCAA cheater in history is cream filled Fulmer and I loved his crash as AD too.

AD - Jurich - definitely him which I’m sure it’s most people’s. I never thought anything about Louisville they’re not really a big time national program outside of the state. Totally irreverent really, but this guy cheating his ass off gave so many the false perception that they were going to overtake UK. May his career rest in pieces.

Last edited:
Coach K - through my teens and 20’s I absolutely detested this guy. To me UK was always the program that should have been highlighted and during this era ESPN made a hard turn to bolster Duke. It affected me more when I actually went to the state of North Carolina and saw that Duke was nowhere near the level of UK statewide. Barely saw a mention of Duke anywhere outside of Durham. Local program who ESPN plastered everywhere to make look a bigger deal than they really are. Scheyer thankfully doesn’t have that way about him and slowly Duke is turning into just an everyone else school. Once the conference shifts happen and they’re left out the UNC / Duke rivalry is gone. They won’t withstand everything K built.

Alternate - Coach Cal - growing up around Memphis I absolutely detested this clown. Held my nose when we made the move I knew we had to but sorry I grew up Pitino and still am. During his runs at Memphis while UK had Tubby I delt with pure hell while his players were being arrested for drugs, soliciting prostitution, and inciting riots downtown. Until UK have him the ability his players were always thugs (except the two I know) he was a Pure scumbag with scumbag players.

Philip Fulmer UT - again growing up in Tennessee country as a kid during the fulmer years as a UK fan was unbearably bad. Still, gave’m hell and still do when I talk to my my friends. The decline of UT football and that fat bastard has helped change my life for the better. between the years of NIL and cream filled fulmer’s they went totally in the trash showing that without turning in Bama and being snitches they would have tanked my entire childhood. Biggest NCAA cheater in history is cream filled Fulmer and I loved his crash as AD too.

AD - Jurich - definitely him which I’m sure it’s most people’s. I never thought anything about Louisville they’re not really a big time national program outside of the state. Totally irreverent really, but this guy cheating his ass off gave so many the false perception that they were going to overtake UK. May his career rest in pieces.

I can tell that stirred some emotions🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Killswitch24
Coach K and Pitino for basketball.
U. Meyer for football
Jurich and Barnhart as ADs

Pitino, Coach K and Dan Hurley for basketball.

Mark Stoops for football.

Jurich for AD.

Basketball coach - Ray Mears (and his munchkin sidekick Stu Aberdeen). On a side note, at a national AAU event in the 90's, they had Mears as the guest speaker at the opening ceremony, and he was in some stage of dementia and it was a disaster. I felt awful for him.

Football coach - Bobby Neckbrace. A lying, arrogant bastard who took talent that was left to him by other coaches, had 3-4 good seasons, then crashed the programs and left.

AD - Turtleneck is a runaway choice here. On the bright side, his arrogance and his penchant for skirting the rules nearly burned the University Six athletics department to the ground.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Football - Dabo Swinney - can't stand the guy
Basketball - Bobby Knight - I grew up with a number of IU fans in the 80's and 90's...hated IU more than any other program, and really disliked their coach

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Bob Knight, Dean Smith, Coach K. Three despicable human beings!
Don't have any interest in football! I don't know any of the athletic directors by name but the AD's of IU, UNC and Duke would be at the top of my hate list for tolerating Knight's antics and Smith and Coach K's cheating and duplicity. If you wanted to add announcers/sports commentators I would put Vitale at the top of the list for his "worship" of the aforementioned coaches. Every UNC game Vitale covered always included a 5 minute slobbering tribute to "the Carolina way" and that Smith had never been charged with even the slightest NCAA infraction. "Nuff said!

knight and dean smith
unlike many who hate spurrier i’ve always liked him, even when he ran the score up on us. he said “if you don’t like it play better defense” or something to that effect, which i agreed with. it ain’t grade school
ad’s, never was aware of enough of them to gaf

Basketball Coach- K or Self (Honorable Mention: Ol Daggum)
Football Coach- Gotta be Beamer. Can't stand that dude. Dabo is up there too
AD- Jurich and it's not even close.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Football - Barry Switzer
Basketball - Bo Ryan
AD - Jurich

I can’t stand Bo Ryan. Will never let go of Cal losing the perfect season to that clown when all it took was holding the gas wide open and preparing at 20%. I’m sure Cal had a 4 hour pool party the day of the game just to make sure he showed how little he cared and wore’m down swimming just to prove it.

I believe @CatPhight has an actual picture of Cals balls in a jar on Bo Ryan’s desk.

PETRINO!!
Pitino* *not so much anymore - probably should consider Calhoun
Jurich

Basketball- Tarkanian always struck me as a mobster. Dukes Krezezzewsssky struck me as playing innocent and “the right way”. Him combined w the Cameron Crazies produced a gag reflex

Football. Spurrier and Fulmer. No questions asked. The axis of evil. I remember Jackie Sherill getting all kinds of hate—from everyone it seemed. I couldn’t have cared less.
I don’t like UGA, but always respected Mark Richt.
College football is the best.

ADs: Cliff Hagan, CM Newton

Mine would be

Basketball coach - Denny Crum when he was at UofL he always had some snide remark to make about UK. My dislike for Crum bordered on hate. Then after he left Louisville I started really liking the guy, he seemed like a good guy.

Football coach - Steve Spurrier This punk would get a 50/60 point lead on us & would run a trick play with 20 seconds left in the game for another touchdown & would stand there laughing about it

Athletic Director - Tom Jurich - This guy always gave me the impression of being a total & complete thug. Would do anything to win. A person that was totally lacking in any morals.
Agree, except basketball I would pick Bobby Knight. Smacked Joe B Hall upside the head, hated UK. Once said all 5 UK starters didn't attend 1 class all semester. How would he know

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT