ADVERTISEMENT

Which coaching jobs open up after this season?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Louisville and Colorado already on the market.

Sounds like USC is about to bounce Clay Helton.

Fedora is probably out at North Carolina.

I expect Urban Meyer to have another odd medical issue.

Could be a couple of big time openings.

gameday-sign-093015-getty-ftrjpg_1pz07u9x2sfn21mpacddka2bg8.jpg

Reactions: gojvc
Urban will be back at OSU.

I pray that our job isn’t open. If it is, God only knows when we will have another season like this one.

Urban will be back at OSU.

I pray that our job isn’t open. If it is, God only knows when we will have another season like this one.

I don't trust Mitch to hire the right guy. Stoops lobbied for the job and you know Mitch wouldn't have hired Cal if not pressured to. If Leach doesn't at least get a call then Mitch isn't doing his job.

Reactions: RonEJones

As far as P5 openings, along with the ones that you named, Rutgers, Illinois, possibly Texas Tech. Maryland is already open. Other jobs may open, not because a coach is fired, but because he moves on to another job. Hopefully that doesn't happen to Purdue.

This year looks like it is going to be relatively calm relative to the past few years. Last year was crazy. TN alone had a normal seasons worth.

Justin Fuente at Va Tech is somewhat quietly looking down the barrel of a four win season. His buyout drops from $9M to $5M on December 15.

Coaching is one of the few jobs you can fail miserably at and still get paid big bucks to leave. So much money is wasted for nothing. All contracts should have exact stipulations for termination and then it is at the school's discretion if they choose to fire the coach with cause and no buyout or retain them. Of course everyone would have to follow the same rules for it to work and there will always be some who will sell their souls to win.

Coaching is one of the few jobs you can fail miserably at and still get paid big bucks to leave. So much money is wasted for nothing. All contracts should have exact stipulations for termination and then it is at the school's discretion if they choose to fire the coach with cause and no buyout or retain them. Of course everyone would have to follow the same rules for it to work and there will always be some who will sell their souls to win.

Lookin' at YOU, U6!

Would any of the jobs listed above be more attractive to Brohm, probably the hottest name in CFB coaching ranks right now, than UofL? Personally, I don't see how anyone could turn down USC or OSU (if Meyer steps down) to go to UofL regardless of personal family ties. When you figure in the complete athletic meltdown and the shambles BP left the football team in, what is the attraction at UofL?

It would not surprise me to see Urban at USC nexy year.

Would any of the jobs listed above be more attractive to Brohm, probably the hottest name in CFB coaching ranks right now, than UofL? Personally, I don't see how anyone could turn down USC or OSU (if Meyer steps down) to go to UofL regardless of personal family ties. When you figure in the complete athletic meltdown and the shambles BP left the football team in, what is the attraction at UofL?
I think Brohm-mania is mostly a local phenomenon. Top programs would have to whiff on a few targets before getting to him.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I think Brohm-mania is mostly a local phenomenon. Top programs would have to whiff on a few targets before getting to him.

You may be right but I did see an article on ESPN that discussed coaching vacancies and Brohm's name was second on the list of 'hot names' along with a couple of NFL assistants and, I think, a coach at one of the MAC schools. Honestly, not a lot of hot names out there but Brohm's was certainly mentioned. USC has tended to stay with coaches who have West Coast roots so I don't know if there is any interest on their part.

There's this little teeny-tiny thing about winning games. After the Ohio St W he's been fumbling and stumbling to end the season and is running the risk of not being bowl eligible.

He would go to U of L over USC, going across the country just doesnt work out very often. Recruiting is too difficult. I'm not sure about Ohio State though, he would probably take that job.

Maryland will be open unless they promote the interim coach. I think Kansas State is ready to move on from Snyder.

Gus Malzahn may be feeling the heat at Auburn. Especially if they get rolled by Bama this coming weekend.

Most AU fans want him gone, true to form the QB regressed his 2nd year with Gus. But I think his buyout is near 40m, they panicked and gave him a raise and extension when Arkansas was looking.

He would go to U of L over USC, going across the country just doesnt work out very often. Recruiting is too difficult. I'm not sure about Ohio State though, he would probably take that job.

I don't think the location is great at USC, I read somewhere that tOSU would hire the guy who ran the sideline while Urban was suspended. But if they see Brohm willing to leave so soon they might go after him. Unless the Big10 has some kind of agreement to not steal other member's coach.

I don't trust Mitch to hire the right guy. Stoops lobbied for the job and you know Mitch wouldn't have hired Cal if not pressured to. If Leach doesn't at least get a call then Mitch isn't doing his job.

Exactly. Mitchs revenue hires were Cal, rich, stoops Billy G and joker. The first three asked him for the job. Mitch chose the last two. Who knows where we'd be if Cal and stoops hadn't proactively asked for their jobs.

Most AU fans want him gone, true to form the QB regressed his 2nd year with Gus. But I think his buyout is near 40m, they panicked and gave him a raise and extension when Arkansas was looking.

At a minimum he's going to can his OC and bring in a hot name - right? Heard rumors that he's eyeing Hugh Freeze. Guess it depends on how toxic he still is - or does that even matter to Auburn? Wondering if Petrino would want the gig? Just coach all of those studs, hang with a few coed blondes and not worry about recruiting, etc. Mark Helfrich (former OC and HC of Oregon who runs that UTNH Quack Attack O) would be really interesting. He's coaching in the NFL but may want to redeem himself at the college level.

That should buy Gus another year; especially with a $40M buyout.

Read on twitter if the USC gets let go they’ll go after Franklin. He said it’d be possible Penn St goes after Stoops

Keep an ear out for Leach. He's got a good thing going at WSU, but that doesn't mean he won't listen to a pitch.

In this offensive era of football, I think if he continues to succeed he'll start pinging on some radars that didn't take him so seriously a decade ago.

Offensive guys generally speaking should be the theme going forward.

Kiffin, Kendall Briles, Major Applewhite, Mike Yurchich, either one of the OCs at Bama should all start to get some buzz this year or over the next couple.

On a spin to the OP's question, let's take a look at UK's schedule for next yr.

Toledo - Jason Candle HC - Though his contract runs through 2021, he's rumored to be on several lists like Kansas, Maryland, etc.. Honestly, he's a pretty decent coach.....I kinda hope he does leave.

Eastern Mich - Chris Creighton - Been at EMU for 5 yrs....with a 21-39 record. He's probably safe since he's done a fair job the last few yrs.

Florida - safe
MSU - safe

USC - Could Muschamp be fired?

OPEN

Ark - Morris is probably safe, but it doesn't look good.

UGA
- Safe
Missou - Safe

OPEN

UT
- Safe
Vandy - Currently 22-37 in yr 5. Could Mason be let go?
UT-Martin - Safe

UL
- Petr-enis is gone.

We might be looking at 2-4 new faces next yr alone.....

Reactions: PlutoDroid
Read on twitter if the USC gets let go they’ll go after Franklin. He said it’d be possible Penn St goes after Stoops
Interesting but I don't see Franklin at USC, he's an East Coast guy.

I'd think the guy at Boise would be getting interest from others.

Isn't inquiring about a job and going to an interview lobbying for a job?? Makes no sense.

Lovie might be done at Illini. They’re starting to spend some money and the fan base is shrinking.

Exactly. Mitchs revenue hires were Cal, rich, stoops Billy G and joker. The first three asked him for the job. Mitch chose the last two. Who knows where we'd be if Cal and stoops hadn't proactively asked for their jobs.
Lol. That is not correct at all. Mitch asked Brooks for candidates as he though Brooks was done. When Brooks said him it was a done deal. And Brooks was the one who recommended Joker. After the success of Brooks, Mitch went with the advice of a guy who had the program on solid ground for the first time in a long while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT