ADVERTISEMENT

Where's the excitement?

Cal stole it a while back. A hung on as long as I could, all the way to St. Peters. Anyone who can allow themselves trust or excitement past that point, my hats off to you. But I have seen the movie too many times now. Covid killed Cal and the university replaced him with a tub of butter.

Make the second weekend and I will probably trick myself once again into hope.
That’s what the end of the year did to me, then I listen to the podcasts just praising us. Then we lose. I hear all these other coaches talking about preparing and getting ready. Cal is talking about pressure and how he needs to take it off the team. That right there shows me he’s the one feeling it. Even Matt Jones said Friday he was as tense as he’s been all year and the team looked the same. That’s not good. Just like the homes losses earlier in the year. I’ve never heard him or another UK coach complain it was too hard to win a home game because we care to much about winning. Like WTF does that even mean?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
That’s what the end of the year did to me, then I listen to the podcasts just praising us. Then we lose. I hear all these other coaches talking about preparing and getting ready. Cal is talking about pressure and how he needs to take it off the team. That right there shows me he’s the one feeling it. Even Matt Jones said Friday he was as tense as he’s been all year and the team looked the same. That’s not good.
I'm assuming that's why in the interview after seeding he said he took them bowling and made a big deal how everyone would be on his case about taking them bowling. Dudes a bloated windbag.

I'm assuming that's why in the interview after seeding he said he took them bowling and made a big deal how everyone would be on his case about taking them bowling. Dudes a bloated windbag.
I swear, like why even bring that up? For real. Nobody would even know. Nobody really cares but it shows that instead of preparing you guys are trying to keep them loose, which is good but I feel like he’s hid behind that “pressure” all year. Hasn’t worked yet really.

The excitement level around the UK program is dramatically lower now than 10 years ago or so. People just don't care as much anymore.
Even as much as 5 years ago before Covid of course. Still had hope, we hadn’t blown as many tourney games or not won the SEC on forever at that point. Now people just expect it for good reason. Why get excited to only be let down every year?

That explains a lot about SK73 and ft000. I keep wondering why a fan would be fine with Calipari. Well “fan” means different things to different people. I guess at least Lemp made the jump, those guys aren’t even that. And lol at Ohio State. Literally no way to root for U.K. and Ohio State, yet…
Well, I have been an Alabama Football Fan since, as a very young guy, in the early seventies. I am on Alabama Online and their message board. Criticism of Saban is something that rarely takes place. The kick six a few years ago against Auburn was one of those times. I guarantee you the discussion about Saban is more about squeezing a few more years out of him to be coach than it is criticism of his coaching.
If UK played Bama, I am solid UK. Alabama basketball is dead to me. I hope they lose every game.
Then you remember I'm only an Ohio State fan in football. I love our fans. I haven't argued with one yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeff2Reed
^ well that explains it. These aren’t what I’d consider UK people. I was at the UK baseball game yesterday going as hard for that team as I do basketball. The damn jersey says Kentucky.

And if you’re not a UK fan in all sports then to me, sorry guy, you’re not Kentucky. I simply cannot fathom rooting for anyone but Kentucky. This is college it’s not professional city teams where you bounce around.

What’s worse is those two act like they’ve got the right to tell real U.K. fans how they should believe. I’d have a lot more respect if they came here as a visitor and showed some respect, because that’s what they are, a guest here.

• Love
Reactions: RunninRichie
^ well that explains it. These aren’t what I’d consider UK people. I was at the UK baseball game yesterday going as hard for that team as I do basketball. The damn jersey says Kentucky.

And if you’re not a UK fan in all sports then to me, sorry guy, you’re not Kentucky. I simply cannot fathom rooting for anyone but Kentucky. This is college it’s not professional city teams where you bounce around.

What’s worse is those two act like they’ve got the right to tell real U.K. fans how they should believe. I’d have a lot more respect if they came here as a visitor and showed some respect, because that’s what they are, a guest here.
You dont understand for one basic reason, you are not very bright. Who the fu** are you to tell others what they can and cant do? From what I have seen so far from you is that you just started posting low level Cal hate speech while, only being on here for a couple of weeks. Slide back under your rock doofus.

Reactions: Graham51
I think as we win some games and pick up momentum, the excitement will explode.

I think we all have a little PTSD from the last 2 tournaments. If we get out of the 1st weekend, everyone will be back.

When we lost 3 in a row at home everyone was off the bus.

If I told you then we'd finish out the season 7-2 and get a 3 seed would you guys not have been thrilled?

Seems pretty ho hum around here
I know I should be excited but its like getting a new snapping turtle for your birthday ever year. Man I love turtles but damn I'm tired of getting bit. So Thursday I'll be reaching into that tank once again to pick him up but with welder gloves on anymore.

If I told you then we'd finish out the season 7-2 and get a 3 seed would you guys not have been thrilled?

Seems pretty ho hum around here.
Cal has absolutely sucked the enjoyment out of UK basketball.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I’d be more excited if our best lineup actually started. And then actually played together for an extended stretch. I’d be more excited if Adou and Justin played all or 95% of the mins at the 4. I’d be more excited if our $9M/yr coach could see the same thing both analytics and an interested toddler can see about the lineups. I’d be more excited if I didn’t think that $9M man was pi$$ing away one of the most exciting UK rosters I’ve seen in my 48 yrs.
Ditto

Those who don’t have blue shaded mirrors for glasses, knows how the show ends, and that’s why the “ho hum” mood. But what’s going to be worse than the past shows, is Cal has a team, that if any other coach in the country had, would be almost guaranteed to play the final game!

I’ll honestly be shocked if we are able to watch a UK game next weekend! I mean, how long has it been? Yeah, I know 💯

I’m always excited for the tournament, just to varying levels. When UK has a dominant team I am more anxious about every game and daydream of how the banner will look in Rupp.

If UK is decent but not great (this year), I'm cautiously optimistic but pretty sure a championship isn’t in the cards. When we’re mediocre (6 seed or lower) to bad, I’m apathetic where I hope for the best but don’t take a loss too hard.

Last few years have sucked, but I lived through probation, a 9 year Final Four drought, a 13-year FF drought, the current 9-year FF drought, two losing seasons and 2 NITs. Never stopped me from being excited about the tournament. I learned in 2014 and 2022 that anything - good and bad - is possible in this tournament.

I think the majority are in wait and see mode because of what’s happened since 2020 to Kentucky basketball. Very happy they got a good draw, but they have to take advantage of it
Wait and see is a great term for it. I am not excited. Cal is still the coach. When SEC play starts and all the way through the tournaments, Cal tightens up like a bulls ass in fly season. He is a poor enough coach as it is, but the stress of being one loss and out is more than he can stand. If this teams gets to the final 4, I will be shocked out of my mind. We need a new coach and a fresh start as soon as the tournament ends.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I guess I wouldn't call it excitement at the moment, but right now I have two hopes:

1. That this team makes a run to another national championship this year
2. That this is Cal's last year as our coach.

I will be excited about either or both if and as they happen.

Reactions: bigbluedon

Seems pretty ho hum around here.
Duh, the smart fans have a crystal ball....and know what is coming. Only the sunshine pumpers looking for the participation trophy get excited.

It’s dumb , but every time we thump an Alabama at home , or beat Tn on the road , our pumpers provide enough excitement for all of BBN . Then reality sinks back in and we realize we have Big Benny over there roaming the sidelines . We have sucked for so long people just don’t expect anything … until we get to sweet 16 or elite 8 and the pumpers go INSANE , then we lose and it’s back to life , back to reality .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT