ADVERTISEMENT

Where our remaining Quad 1 wins will likely come from

Jan 8, 2023
If we can turn things around we desperately need to get some Quad 1 wins to improve our resume. As of now, here's where all of the possibilities are and what the likely point spread (as of now) on the remaining games would be (using Sagarin ratings which are usually fairly close to the Vegas line).

VS USC jr Quad 4 and UK -15.5

@ UT Quad 1 and UT -12

VS UGA Quad 3 and UK - 8

VS A&M Quad 3 and UK - 5

@ Vandy Quad 2 and UK -4

VS KU Quad 1 and KU -5

@ Ole Miss Quad 2 and UK -2.5

VS UF Quad 2 and UK -4

VS Ark Quad 1 and Ark -1

@ UGA Quad 2 and UK -3

@ MS ST Quad 1 and a pick em

VS UT Quad 1 and UT -7

@ UF Quad 1 and UF -1

VS Auburn Quad 2 and UK -1.5

VS Vandy Quad 3 and UK -9

@ ARK Quad 1 and ARK -6

We have (as of current NET rankings) 7 Quad 1 games left. Arkansas at home, MS State on the road and Florida on the road are our most likely W's on the remaining schedule of Quad 1 possibilities. I hope we get these wins (along with plenty more).

If we can turn things around we desperately need to get some Quad 1 wins to improve our resume. As of now, here's where all of the possibilities are and what the likely point spread (as of now) on the remaining games would be (using Sagarin ratings which are usually fairly close to the Vegas line).

VS USC jr Quad 4 and UK -15.5

@ UT Quad 1 and UT -12

VS UGA Quad 3 and UK - 8

VS A&M Quad 3 and UK - 5

@ Vandy Quad 2 and UK -4

VS KU Quad 1 and KU -5

@ Ole Miss Quad 2 and UK -2.5

VS UF Quad 2 and UK -4

VS Ark Quad 1 and Ark -1

@ UGA Quad 2 and UK -3

@ MS ST Quad 1 and a pick em

VS UT Quad 1 and UT -7

@ UF Quad 1 and UF -1

VS Auburn Quad 2 and UK -1.5

VS Vandy Quad 3 and UK -9

@ ARK Quad 1 and ARK -6

We have (as of current NET rankings) 7 Quad 1 games left. Arkansas at home, MS State on the road and Florida on the road are our most likely W's on the remaining schedule of Quad 1 possibilities. I hope we get these wins (along with plenty more).
I notice you have very few posts. Thank you and keep it that way! Lol

I notice you have very few posts. Thank you and keep it that way! Lol
I'm a 41 year fan of the team and created my profile today. I have to start somewhere and I'm trying to be optimistic about this team which is what I thought this board was supposed to be for.

I’m adding to this because for whatever reason I’m not able to post anymore. I can edit posts I made but I can’t post anything new which baffles me. I guess this thread was not liked, and somebody reported it for some strange reason.

Anyway, I do have a level head and I understand where things are. I’m just trying to show from this original post that we have a lot of legitimate chances.

Looking at Sagarin ratings Vegas doesn’t perceive us is having no shot in many of the games we have remaining. I would argue that Tennessee on the road is the only one that I think that is out of reach at this time, everything else I think is winnable (maybe not likely but possible).

Last edited:
I'm a 41 year fan of the team and created my profile today. I have to start somewhere and I'm trying to be optimistic about this team which is what I thought this board was supposed to be for.
If you are looking for optimism, this sure isn’t the place. 90% negativity and doom and gloom with this bunch.

This board isn’t supposed to be for optimism. Optimism can exist here, and it does when things look bright, but it is not why people come to post here.

This board (RR) is for discussing UK basketball. That includes the good, the bad, the ugly. If you’re only capable of seeing the good or the bad I don’t think you’ll have a good time here. If you have a level head and a mature, realistic outlook on life and the program I think you’ll enjoy it quite a bit.

And if you are a forever optimist… you picked a hell of a time to start posting.

We might just have to grab 1 or 2 and see if that's good enough.
Record vs Quad 1 is important when u are fighting for good seeds. But at the bottom, you run into a bunch of bubble teams that also lack Q1 wins.
Right now you are looking at a 9th, 10th, 11th seed type team. Bunch up an impressive record vs Q2 teams mix in a couple Q1s and that should get u there.

Then just hope and pray they have a 2014 type run.

If you are looking for optimism, this sure isn’t the place. 90% negativity and doom and gloom with this bunch.
Imagine that doom and gloom from a fanbase that has endured the insanity from the circus act call Cal for the past decade. We should be the most optimistic fanbase ever.

Doom and gloom? I guess that's what a sunshine pumper calls REALITY. Most everyone here is commenting on what they see on the court and hear coming out of Calipari's mouth. We see what the rest of college basketball see's. The game has passed our 2nd highest paid coach by and we're stuck with him and his "lifetime contract". Hell, other SEC coaches are saying the EXACT SAME THING when granted anonymity in magazine articles.
This UK team is flirting with the THIRD trip to the NIT by Calipari during his 13 seasons as head coach. We just lost at Alabama by the biggest margin EVER. And we're all "doom and gloom"???
You're insane.

I’m adding to this because for whatever reason I’m not able to post anymore. I can edit posts I made but I can’t post anything new which baffles me. I guess this thread was not liked, and somebody reported it for some strange reason.

Anyway, I do have a level head and I understand where things are. I’m just trying to show from this original post that we have a lot of legitimate chances.

Looking at Sagarin ratings Vegas doesn’t perceive us is having no shot in many of the games we have remaining. I would argue that Tennessee on the road is the only one that I think that is out of reach at this time, everything else I think is winnable (maybe not likely but possible).
This board isn’t simply about “being optimistic” about this team. That’s what the trolls on the board do. And that’s what the Cal cult does. The rest of us come here to discuss the Cats, not to pump sunshine.

This board isn’t supposed to be for optimism. Optimism can exist here, and it does when things look bright, but it is not why people come to post here.

This board (RR) is for discussing UK basketball. That includes the good, the bad, the ugly. If you’re only capable of seeing the good or the bad I don’t think you’ll have a good time here. If you have a level head and a mature, realistic outlook on life and the program I think you’ll enjoy it quite a bit.

And if you are a forever optimist… you picked a hell of a time to start posting.
That last line 😂😂

Yes, if he’s HerrosHeroes level, very odd timing. So we have a new peculiar dude or a troll. Good times.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest

This Team and Coach have major issues so I’m doubting we win many games that aren’t cupcakes. It sucks that KY Basketball under CAL has come to this!!!

Well you have to admit, the schedule isn’t that hard. OTOH, these Cats aren’t world beaters.

As bad as Cal has them playing, I can still see them maybe getting to 20 wins. The SEC is way down imo.

For all those who complain about the negativity I challenge them to post something about the year that’s positive. I can’t think of many right now. Even Oscar is struggling and had his worst game ever.

For all those who complain about the negativity I challenge them to post something about the year that’s positive. I can’t think of many right now. Even Oscar is struggling and had his worst game ever.
If someone is feeling good about our basketball program they’re either an opposing team’s fan trolling us, or they suffer from some sort of mania-related mental illness. To ignore the facts and to sincerely think all is good and Cal will turn it around… that just isn’t mentally sane. And I’m tired of pretending it is!

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
if Arkansas is not looking good, then they wouldnt be a quad 1 after we beat em if we do beat em. our team is just not capable of beating a quad 1 team with the issues we have.

I always thought we would win all the home games perhaps even Kansas, but now starting to wonder.

aka 100% reality...

OV4ita0.png

Reactions: ArcticChar
It seems that we struggle with teams that are high-scoring offenses - All of the teams that have beaten us have had a higher PPG average than us (not counting MSU) - Missouri, Gonzaga, and Alabama are top 15 in the country. UCLA is better as well.

Also, the only team on our schedule that averages more PPG than us is Kansas (barely), however Arkansas and Tennessee are just below us.

The issue really isn't the 0-4. We've had road/neutral games.
It's the margin of victory. We haven't been close in any of them. So even the home games that are Q1 games are going to be tough to see winning.

Reactions: Montana81
It seems that we struggle with teams that are high-scoring offenses - All of the teams that have beaten us have had a higher PPG average than us (not counting MSU) - Missouri, Gonzaga, and Alabama are top 15 in the country. UCLA is better as well.

Also, the only team on our schedule that averages more PPG than us is Kansas (barely), however Arkansas and Tennessee are just below us.
It's odd we avg 76.9 PPG but it doesn't feel that way. Of course the Quad 4 games we've been involved in (106 pts against SC State, 95 pts against Howard, 88 pts against FL A&M, etc.) have inflated that avg and I fully expect to see a substantial drop as we continue to play the conference schedule.

It's odd we avg 76.9 PPG but it doesn't feel that way. Of course the Quad 4 games we've been involved in (106 pts against SC State, 95 pts against Howard, 88 pts against FL A&M, etc.) have inflated that avg and I fully expect to see a substantial drop as we continue to play the conference schedule.

That's not really as applicable as you'd think. Everyone plays those kinds of games, especially Missouri and Gonzaga.

Will State and Florida even be a quad 1 team by the time the Cats play them?
Would going 2-3 againt UT, Kansas and Arky get UK into the tournament?
Provided of course they don't have losses to terrible teams the rest of the way.
Does a 10 loss UK team make the dance with 2 quad 1 wins?

Will State and Florida even be a quad 1 team by the time the Cats play them?
Would going 2-3 againt UT, Kansas and Arky get UK into the tournament?
Provided of course they don't have losses to terrible teams the rest of the way.
Does a 10 loss UK team make the dance with 2 quad 1 wins?

If MSU and UF drop, it would be due to losing to the Q3 and Q4 teams ~ Vandy, UGA, A&M and USC ~ which would raise those games up to Q2s and Q3s. Not as valuable as a Q1 win, but not as bad IF we win the games we are suppose to.

it would help if the middle SEC teams do really well in the B12/SEC Challenge. All the B12 teams are highly thought of.
  • Auburn at West Virginia
  • Florida at Kansas State
  • Texas Tech at LSU
  • Ole Miss at Oklahoma State
  • TCU at Mississippi State
  • Iowa State at Missouri

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyskywalker34
I think we can win the games at home vs ARK, UT and AUB. Or maybe 2 out of 3. That and win most of our home games and I think we are in the tourney. We are in desperate need of an alpha on this team that is not Oscar. He can't do it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT