ADVERTISEMENT

Where Kentucky stands with some of the top 2025 recruits & their new rankings....

This isn't a knock, but some of y'all are nuts. After what Pope pulled off, I'm not concerned about recruiting at all. I'm totally in on this year. Next year, and everything that happens with transfers and guys de-committing now? Almost seemed like a waisted effort playing that guessing game. Again, not knocking. You do you.

Listening to the interviews this morning from wkyt 27 Jasper and Moreno are dead locks to Kentucky pope has been on them like
poo GIF by SHYNOLA
and prioritize both of them for next years class

I'm hoping for Brown Johnson Ament Bundalo Moreno but there is a ton of talent in the 25 class. Yessoufou Cenac Riley Magwood Mullins Lewis Easter. Couldn't go wrong with any of those guys. Not to mention a couple top 10 guys we're in on. I think once recruits see Pope's style of play alot more will be looking at UK.

Reactions: true blue1
This isn't a knock, but some of y'all are nuts. After what Pope pulled off, I'm not concerned about recruiting at all. I'm totally in on this year. Next year, and everything that happens with transfers and guys de-committing now? Almost seemed like a waisted effort playing that guessing game. Again, not knocking. You do you.
Your 100% correct.

I want an approach to recruiting that starts the way the best coaches from the past used to do it. Heavily dependent on scouting and based on forecasting a players fit and upside while at your school (not in the NBA). I know a coaching staff has to have enough selling ability to entice players to come to UK. But if being the best recruiter is just about how many/often a coach can entice the highest ranked players from the recruiting services to come and play one-year at UK, then I don’t want the best recruiters. I want the smart, hard-working, analytical coaches instead.

I think, more often than not, OAD high school kids are not worth the investment of time, effort and money. The return on investment the school gets in regard to wins and being in title contention doesn’t justify it. Analyzing it historically, it seems to me that that approach is more of a glamour thing than a winning thing.

Last edited:
I remember reading Harwell's Dad seemed high on UK/Pope.
Don't know if the feeling is mutual.
It's also surprising that On3 doesn't have Arkansas favored for a single top 25 player in the '25 class.

I want an approach to recruiting that starts the way the best coaches from the past used to do it. Heavily dependent on scouting and based on forecasting a players fit and upside while at your school (not in the NBA). I know a coaching staff has to have enough selling ability to entice players to come to UK. But if being the best recruiter is just about how many/often a coach can entice the highest ranked players from the recruiting services to come and play one-year at UK, then I don’t want the best recruiters. I want the smart, hard-working, analytical coaches instead.

I think, more often than not, OAD high school kids are not worth the investment of time, effort and money. The return on investment the school gets in regard to wins and being in title contention doesn’t justify it. Analyzing it historically, it seems to me that that approach is more of a glamour thing than a winning thing.
Bingo, glitz over substance does not win titles.

Reactions: G-PIP
I'm hoping for Brown Johnson Ament Bundalo Moreno but there is a ton of talent in the 25 class. Yessoufou Cenac Riley Magwood Mullins Lewis Easter. Couldn't go wrong with any of those guys. Not to mention a couple top 10 guys we're in on. I think once recruits see Pope's style of play alot more will be looking at UK.
Replace Bundalo with Reibe and I agree. Would love to somehow snag one of Mullins, Khamenia or Magwood to go with them for development. Mullins maybe rising to fast to accept that, but he would be perfect in this system.

This isn't a knock, but some of y'all are nuts. After what Pope pulled off, I'm not concerned about recruiting at all. I'm totally in on this year. Next year, and everything that happens with transfers and guys de-committing now? Almost seemed like a waisted effort playing that

Nah man I’m right with you. I don’t usually care about what people post and I definitely usually don’t post in threads I don’t care about but the constant looking to years down the road is really irritating. What does any of those players matter if you never stop for 5 minutes when they arrive and just enjoy the team. Constant looking toward the next recruiting class ruins the season to me. I used to be all in on recruits when I was younger but I quit caring about it completely around Cals 5th year. Just decided there’s no point in it.

What I will do is occasionally see a few players I like in high school and see if we’re in on them but then im done.

The worst threads about the recruits is when someone post a “top 12” list like wtf. I also cannot stand to hear regular fans say things like “let them enjoy their recruitment”. Like we don’t know them dude and I’m not interested in their recruiting games.

Having said that if someone wants to then have at it. Just seems like an annoying way to waste your time year after year. I usually just stay out of it but decided to post my opinion this time after reading your post. I don’t try and police the board. Waste as many threads as one likes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirt Sammich
I’m pretty certain with the brand, Pope being so like-able, our NBA success, and NIL that we will get some players. Plus we seem to have a great recruiting staff.

Pope is going to have no trouble recruiting. Were a top NIL basketball program with the biggest brand and an excellent system philosophy. Now that he’s got the UK brand, and people who didn’t know now know he won a title at UK and played in the NBA, there’s no way recruiting will be an issue. And he’s not one of those “former player coaches”. He’s actually a real coach with real abilities. So I think this is gonna be sweet. Once recruits get to see his system flow, it’s gonna be even better. This is a high IQ basketball genius. The guy literally worked his way from no coach, to a towel boy at Georgia, to the head coach of Kentucky in a decade. The guy decided to get into coaching mid stream and now he’s at UK. Recruiting is the least of my worries honestly.

Last edited:
Pope is going to have no trouble recruiting. Were a top NIL basketball program with the biggest brand and an excellent system philosophy. Now that he’s got the UK brand, and people who didn’t know now know he won a title at UK and played in the NBA, there’s no way recruiting will be an issue. And he’s not one of those “former player coaches”. He’s actually a real coach with real abilities. So I think this is gonna be sweet. Once recruits get to see his system flow, it’s gonna be even better. This is a high IQ basketball genius. The guy literally worked his way from no coach, to a towel boy at Georgia, to the head coach of Kentucky in a decade. The guy decided to get into coaching mid stream and now he’s at UK. Recruiting is the least of my worries honestly.
Genius?

I question that considering he dropped out of med school to get into coaching.

Dropping out of med school to be a coach? Does that make him the dumbest genius in the country?

(Before anyone attacks me, please realize this is a lame attempt at humor- LOL!)

Reactions: Killswitch24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT