ADVERTISEMENT

Where do/will TX and OK rank vs SEC as far as talent when they join the conference?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Seems like TX consistently has a top 15 or better class but also consistently underperforms their 'on paper' talent rankings. Just based on recruiting rankings, they'd be behind GA, AL, LSU, A&M (some years, anyway), right? Maybe about the same as FL, AU, TN (some years). Consistently ahead of both MS schools, AR, UK, SC, MO, Vandy? When I've watched them play the past several years, it appears that they aren't as physical as the SEC most years so maybe their recruiting rankings are more influenced by skill position players than OL and DL but that's pure speculation on my part.

OK doesn't seem to rank quite as high at TX most years in recruiting although, IIRC, they are typically top 20 almost every year. Certainly underperformed last year after Lincoln Riley took a bunch of their talent to USC. On an annual basis, wouldn't they fall in the SEC pecking order about where TX will?

Once those two join the conference, will that open up more of TX recruiting to the UK, MO, USC, MI, MSU, etc schools? Obviously, LSU, AL, GA, A&M have no problems recruiting TX but the 'lesser' SEC schools might benefit from more exposure to the fertile recruiting grounds, right?

I personally believe it will be a few years before TX and OK have changed their philosophy sufficiently to play SEC football. The no-defense, spread-'em-out B12 schemes will only get them so far in the meat grinder of the SEC, imo. They'll both be good but certainly not dominant in the first few years and then we'll see.

Reactions: Oldtrainer
Seems like TX consistently has a top 15 or better class but also consistently underperforms their 'on paper' talent rankings. Just based on recruiting rankings, they'd be behind GA, AL, LSU, A&M (some years, anyway), right? Maybe about the same as FL, AU, TN (some years). Consistently ahead of both MS schools, AR, UK, SC, MO, Vandy? When I've watched them play the past several years, it appears that they aren't as physical as the SEC most years so maybe their recruiting rankings are more influenced by skill position players than OL and DL but that's pure speculation on my part.

OK doesn't seem to rank quite as high at TX most years in recruiting although, IIRC, they are typically top 20 almost every year. Certainly underperformed last year after Lincoln Riley took a bunch of their talent to USC. On an annual basis, wouldn't they fall in the SEC pecking order about where TX will?

Once those two join the conference, will that open up more of TX recruiting to the UK, MO, USC, MI, MSU, etc schools? Obviously, LSU, AL, GA, A&M have no problems recruiting TX but the 'lesser' SEC schools might benefit from more exposure to the fertile recruiting grounds, right?

I personally believe it will be a few years before TX and OK have changed their philosophy sufficiently to play SEC football. The no-defense, spread-'em-out B12 schemes will only get them so far in the meat grinder of the SEC, imo. They'll both be good but certainly not dominant in the first few years and then we'll see.

The thing about states that have a lot of talent is already being hit by everyone. UGA is probably one going to sign 2-3 of top 10 in state players. Texas is the same way, 8 D1 schools in the state plus the other schools hitting it hard. You just have to jump in the mix, with them now being a part of the SEC who knows, ATM already was.

Reactions: jauk11
I think Oklahoma and Texas both stumble into the SEC.

They’ve been playing that Bug XII “flyboy” brand of football for two decades and are a little light on their line play.

I would be shocked if either post a 9 Win or better regular season their first two seasons in the SEC.

I don't know if they get to 9 wins or not, but Texas returns alot from the 22 team, granted probably the number 1 back in college is gone, but they have some offensive talent. Of the 2, I think they have the best chance for 9+ wins. OU on the other hand after what Riley did to them will have a couple more rough years facing them. Another season like 22 and Venerables seat is a warm one. I don't think he survives past 23, where they turn is anyone's guess, but if they Vols have a year remotely close to what they are expecting I suspect Chumlee is the first call and he becomes college highest paid coach wherever he ends up.

I think both will be fine in general when it comes to overall talent. They're big national name brands and platforms that can at least gain an audience with any kid anywhere.

Texas specifically can pitch to all of their instate talent that might have been looking at LSU, Bama for the SEC stage..."hey you can stay home and play longhorn football in the SEC now..."

That's a unique pitch that not a lot of programs have. Aggies have it somewhat, but they're not Texas.

Obviously, even though the game is primarily offensive oriented now and a team will go as far as their offense (specifically passing game) takes them, ground game and defense is still a different level in the SEC.

Both Texas and OK have historically had great rbs, ol, and seemingly been a destination for both. Both have legacies of prolific offenses with Heisman caliber talent and winners.

Offensively both will be fine probably. Horns specifically with Sark should do well early. Sooners may struggle with Venerables, but he'll either figure it out by focusing in on offense and bringing in the staff and system, or he'll get booted and OK brass will bring in an offensive guy who can.

Front 7-8 on D is where both will probably get exposed at least short term. That may be where Venerables has a shot. He did build some gnarly defenses at Clemson with elite NFL front 7 talent via sneaking into SEC territory and stealing guys out of back yards.

Reactions: gamecockcat
I think both will be fine in general when it comes to overall talent. They're big national name brands and platforms that can at least gain an audience with any kid anywhere.

Texas specifically can pitch to all of their instate talent that might have been looking at LSU, Bama for the SEC stage..."hey you can stay home and play longhorn football in the SEC now..."

That's a unique pitch that not a lot of programs have. Aggies have it somewhat, but they're not Texas.

Obviously, even though the game is primarily offensive oriented now and a team will go as far as their offense (specifically passing game) takes them, ground game and defense is still a different level in the SEC.

Both Texas and OK have historically had great rbs, ol, and seemingly been a destination for both. Both have legacies of prolific offenses with Heisman caliber talent and winners.

Offensively both will be fine probably. Horns specifically with Sark should do well early. Sooners may struggle with Venerables, but he'll either figure it out by focusing in on offense and bringing in the staff and system, or he'll get booted and OK brass will bring in an offensive guy who can.

Front 7-8 on D is where both will probably get exposed at least short term. That may be where Venerables has a shot. He did build some gnarly defenses at Clemson with elite NFL front 7 talent via sneaking into SEC territory and stealing guys out of back yards.

Venerable is a good defensive coordinator, likely saved Dabo's job. Clemson recruited well under him, but the mega church had more to do with that than venerable did. Clemson copied AU in every aspect, and anytime they enjoyed success probation always followed. Danny Ford almost got them the death penalty. NIL has taken a huge advantage CU always enjoyed away.

I think Oklahoma will be top 6 in the league usually and I feel like Texas is a sleeping Giant. With the right coach they can run college football. I hope I'm wrong but I think the SEC brand with the Texas brand equals hudge success. Probably why they landed Archie Manning. SEC family the Mannings. Recruiting will get a massive bump because NIL and all that oil money. Look what Oil money did to golf. It changed it....

Reactions: jauk11
I think Oklahoma and Texas both stumble into the SEC.

They’ve been playing that Bug XII “flyboy” brand of football for two decades and are a little light on their line play.

I would be shocked if either post a 9 Win or better regular season their first two seasons in the SEC.
My gut says this too but Mizzou had their best seasons the first few years in. So. Who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT