ADVERTISEMENT

When will American factories start to shut down?

oldsports_

All-SEC
Dec 18, 2010
Many factories have 500+ people working. Is it time to shut America down?
CNN & MSNBC are hinting of a global economic depression never seen before. Is this the end of 401 k plans?

This is where the adage that "a person is smart" but "people are dumb" is true. Folks need to calm down. All rationale thinking goes out the window so easily, and it builds upon itself.

We're much more resilient, though you'd never know it from the masses who live in fear.
Amen....

BTW, in Matthew Mccaunghy voice...
I was using hand sanitizer and washed my hands after, and; prior to wiping my ass with toilet paper....before it was cool

Reactions: Fox2monk
CNN & MSNBC are hinting of a global economic depression never seen before. Is this the end of 401 k plans?

Sensationalism media. Stop letting them fear monger you. CNN are the same people that, just last night, had a 20 minute discussion after Trumps speech saying he was racist and xenophobic for referring to the wuhan/ coronavirus as a “foreign virus” lol.

They are so WORRIED that we are going to have a catastrophic depression and millions and millions and millions of deaths right? But ... still wanna discuss stupid shit like that lol? Okay.

Edit- I understand the gravity of the situation and I also understand it’s rather serious. However, NOT how the media is portraying.

Last edited:
Sensationalism media. Stop letting them fear monger you. CNN are the same people that, just last night, had a 20 minute discussion after Trumps speech saying he was racist and xenophobic for referring to the wuhan/ coronavirus as a “foreign virus” lol.
This is so true. I have strong political opinions, but to politicize this in any way or to exploit it for political purposes is just irresponsible.

Unfortunately, fear and panic are commodities in our 24-hour news cycle. You have to feed the beast, and fear and panic feed the beast. Rationality and reason don't make for entertaining television or headlines. Can't make money off rationality and reason.

They are so WORRIED that we are going to have a catastrophic depression and millions and millions and millions of deaths right? But ... still wanna discuss stupid shit like that lol? Okay
You don't watch CNN, stop lying.

I work in an office not a factory but I was talking to my boss about it this morning and she said she would be surprised if we were here next week. The difference is that we can work from home. It's a little more difficult but we can certainly do it. A factory doesn't have that option.

I, for one, am not even looking at my 401k until this gets under control. I'll keep pumping in the max amount per usual, but I'm not looking at how much I'm losing short term.

Foolish people making foolish investment decisions in 2008-2009 with money they didn't need for a decade or more is what cost many their life savings. I saw it first hand with my in-laws.

I, for one, am not even looking at my 401k until this gets under control. I'll keep pumping in the max amount per usual, but I'm not looking at how much I'm losing short term.

Foolish people making foolish investment decisions in 2008-2009 with money they didn't need for a decade or more is what cost many their life savings. I saw it first hand with my in-laws.
This is an OUTSTANDING point and approach. I work in the financial services world and see this all of the time. And even w/ my own 401k it's tempting not to panic at the panic! It was hard in 2008-2009 and it's going to be even harder now, but with 15years until retirement I say 'bring it on' and ride it out.

Of course those two would say that. They are openly hoping this all effects the election. These are full on liars that have reapeatedly been caught lying and telling complete falsehoods.

Reactions: oldsports_

They are so WORRIED that we are going to have a catastrophic depression and millions and millions and millions of deaths right? But ... still wanna discuss stupid shit like that lol? Okay.

Edit- I understand the gravity of the situation and I also understand it’s rather serious. However, NOT how the media is portraying.

They are ridiculous, a foreign virus is not foreign and how dare you categorize that as a virus. You don’t know what it identifies as!

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
This is an OUTSTANDING point and approach. I work in the financial services world and see this all of the time. And even w/ my own 401k it's tempting not to panic at the panic! It was hard in 2008-2009 and it's going to be even harder now, but with 15years until retirement I say 'bring it on' and ride it out.

With 15+ years to go it’s an easy decision. It’s the 65 year olds on the verge of retirement that have tough decisions to make because the market will be in flux bad for awhile.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
My wife works at a place that makes weatherstripping and air bags. She texted me a little bit ago and said they were talking about shutting down.

The difference is...

the 2008 recession was a genuine financial crisis of fundamentals.

This is a worldwide pandemic and we are facing the unknown. Just yesterday, Dr. Anthony Fauci (the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health) said "it will get worse."

Hopefully we will not lose any major companies or even too many "Mom and Pop" businesses.

If we recover in a few months, it is likely we will have a strong financial recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ganner918
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT